Best time to arrive?

TheMackemSlayer

Hey guys,

Not posted on here in quite a while due to a lack of movement in regards to our visas, however, things are now coming along nicely (medicals and police check all done) and so I thought I'd throw a question out to y'all...

Basically, I want opinions on when you believe to be the best time of year to arrive in Perth? You see, we were originally hoping to fly out in January but I have recently read a few comments from old threads stating that it's very difficult to find work around this time of year, which is a tad off-putting.

As always, any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Gary.

We had jobs to come to so the job situation didn't really matter to us, but we chose January because we wanted the children to start a full school year (my daughter was going into the last year of primary here so a full year was important to her), our other reason was to have a last Christmas in the UK and then to have a new adventure in the new year lol

Thanks for the replies, guys.

Between the two of you, you've pretty much summed up our predicament - want to move in Jan so that our son can complete a full school year but can't afford to come over and go months without finding work.

Anyway, cheers for the help. Looks like we'll have to think long and hard about this one.

Gary.

Maybe nearer the time, start applying for jobs and indicate that you will be available from January, it may help determine your move. Hubby applied for a job - was told that they wanted someone to start right away (didn't have our visa at that point), however, they kept his CV on file and wrote to him in the October and asked where we were up to with the Visa (which had been granted in the July), Hubby was able to tell them we were moving in the Jan, they did a telephone interview then arranged a meet and greet on arrival. If you have some concrete plans e.g. the visa in place and some flexibility, employers will like that (they don't want to have to wait several months for someone to arrive).

Hi there we also plan move out jan/feb time so my son ca start school beginning of year. I am just not sure exactly when as it is there school holidays over Christmas and if we move and find an area we like we won't know if he can get in the school until they open again, I don't know what is best to do ! X how far along in the process are u. I am waiting for skills assessment before applying for a visa x

Hey Claire.

We're a little further along than yourself - emigrating on a partenrship visa (OH has her citizenship). Application was submitted in October, medicals and police check all done last month. Just a waiting game now.

Thankfully, we have family in Oz and they've offered us a place to stay until we find an area we want to settle in, so that'll be a big help.

I wanted to come out in January, then our delays put it to the June July time, the plan was then to come over early in July to start our daughters in school as everyone goes back from the winter break, well that wasnt going to be practical either as the schools would be shut. all in all i dont think there is any perfect time as something will happen or go wrong so just come when you are mentally and financially ready.

Even then i think something will surprise you. good luck and all the best.

We are booked in to go on the 22nd July this year, the day after my wifes birthday, we are staying in Ocean Reef for 6 weeks but still cant decide where to live and that is with doing a reccie in November, I guess we will just go with the flow and depends if I can secure a job.

Aye, you're probably right Jason.

I'm sure there'll be many more surprises and setbacks along the way yet.

When did you end up making the move then?

That's what I am thinking as you have to live in the catchment area , so what if you find a house and like the look of the school then when they re open they say sorry no places! Difficult! We certainly won't be ready to go before their summer hols. We don't even know which area we like or anything like that !

I have tried to contact Peter Moyes and they havent even responded, i am aware that there is a waiting list but when you read the paperwork you need an Aussie address, i am not sure if all schools would ignore you but maybe worth an email, however i suspect they will want you to have an Aussie address.

All the best on your plans, i have given up looking at houses and schools now until we get out there as it is driving me nuts.

We have ( well not we, I have pondered, my oh does give much thought to such stuff) decided that depsite the pros and cons of whether to stay here longer to save up etc, we have decided to head over end of AUG/early sep, for two main reasons.

1: Jobs, ( reading similar stuff on recruitment etc slowing down over summer, Nov to Feb)

2: Weather, I can't stand the thought of going from 0 C to plus 30 overnight, and it not being a holiday. We will be running about with two young kids, trying to get a zillion things done in a temperature we are not yet acclimatized to. I would rather arrive in there winter and then it get warmer slowly towards the summer.

But yes, ultimately, there are loads of reasons we should stay longer here, but we decided it's never going to be perfect, sod it and lets just get there now, it's been a long 2 years already stuck in small house, we have outgrown.

We came out the 1st July. It was the start of the two weeks school holiday. It was great because holiday rental was cheaper as it was midwinter. Also for you coming from the UK less of a shock heat wise especially for the children. You MAY not be able to register the chikdren with a holiday home address as some schools require a lease or utility bill. Our school did though, after a bit of persuading. You can take you child on the first day of school. Register and buy uniforms and equipment then and there. No issues at all for us. Our boy was 9.

We are coming out in early July for kids schooling and just before the airfares double. I thought the new tax year starting in July would be a factor but I spoke to loads of agencies and large IT companies about seasonality for my trade and they all said its steady aside from the usual easter and christmas / summer periods till late feb. It does depend on your trade though I guess.