Midwife moving to Perth ... Help needed please!!

Michala Roche

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year old midwife currently based in Birmingham UK, I've always had this ideal dream of moving to Australia and it finally looks like it's happening :arghh:

I recently holidayed in Mandurah (Perth) staying with family friends and whilst out there have been offered a job at a local hospital. I am currently in the process of collecting all my information for APHRA, I had a fair amount as started the process before but never completed it however I know it has changed recently and just wondered if anyone who has applied can update me as to what else I need or need to do? They have offered me sponsorship so will be sorting out my visa once I get my APHRA sorted, I've been told there will be medicals and police checks but they will support me with this when I get to that point.

Ive been told my pay will be either $33 or $34.50 per hour, I will be working full time 7 shifts in every 14 days including nights and on calls, I was just trying to get an idea of my take home pay as want to make sure I am going to be able to live comfortably if anyone can help? I also was hoping for an idea of monthly bills currently just generally to work out my outgoings too??

I thankfully have have somewhere to stay, at least to start with as my family friends have offered me to stay with them to make the transition smoother which will be a massive help. I know I will need a car, phone etc pretty quickly and wanted to know are these easy to set up when you get there? Is there anything I can do before I get out there?

Any Help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Michala :cute:

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Michala,

I am also a midwife, currently in Manchester. My husband and I are also thinking of a move to Perth. I'm sorry to say I don't have any answers for you but I am very interested in any responses you may get! :biggrin:

This is my first ever post on the forum! I have just joined today after realising there must be loads of people in the same boat! Who else better to get useful tips and advice from, than others going through the same thing!!

Anyway hope you find out some more about midwifery and moving to Perth. I'm slightly worried about the things I've heard about the midwife registration process and the recent changes.

Dee Marie :biggrin:

Hi everyone,

I'm a 24 year old midwife currently based in Birmingham UK, I've always had this ideal dream of moving to Australia and it finally looks like it's happening :arghh:

I recently holidayed in Mandurah (Perth) staying with family friends and whilst out there have been offered a job at a local hospital. I am currently in the process of collecting all my information for APHRA, I had a fair amount as started the process before but never completed it however I know it has changed recently and just wondered if anyone who has applied can update me as to what else I need or need to do? They have offered me sponsorship so will be sorting out my visa once I get my APHRA sorted, I've been told there will be medicals and police checks but they will support me with this when I get to that point.

Ive been told my pay will be either $33 or $34.50 per hour, I will be working full time 7 shifts in every 14 days including nights and on calls, I was just trying to get an idea of my take home pay as want to make sure I am going to be able to live comfortably if anyone can help? I also was hoping for an idea of monthly bills currently just generally to work out my outgoings too??

I thankfully have have somewhere to stay, at least to start with as my family friends have offered me to stay with them to make the transition smoother which will be a massive help. I know I will need a car, phone etc pretty quickly and wanted to know are these easy to set up when you get there? Is there anything I can do before I get out there?

Any Help or advice would be very much appreciated, thanks in advance

Michala :cute:

Congratulations Michala, I'm also a midwife hoping to make the move in sept. I've applied for a 190 visa because I will be taking my husband and 2 children. I am currently waiting for AHPRA reg to come through, hoping it will be back in a few wks it went to the panel on the 15/4, fingers crossed. I,ve applied for a few jobs closing date 1/5, where is it that you have been offered a job? I can't help with any of your questions about perth but let me know if you want any AHPRA info. This site is a brilliant source of info, who needs a migration agent when you have perth poms. Keep me posted will be interested in any replies to you thread.

Sarah. :biggrin:

Thanks everyone

Dee Marie welcome everybody on here is great and it's such a good source of information as Sarah says who needs an agent, APHRA definitely seems more complicated but from what I've been told as long as you have everything they ask for there shouldn't be any delays!

Dewie thanks for your reply it's so great to hear from people in a similar boat I've just received my offer letter and contract and they want me to start 14th September if all goes to plan ... I've got a job at peel health campus in Mandurah absolutley loved it there when I visited earlier this year. I would really appreciate your help with APHRA as its a bit of a minefield and am just conscious I don't want to miss sending anything and delay the process. Can I ask what paperwork you submitted exactly as a few friends I've been speaking to are saying different things especially regarding proof of skills and CPD? And just to check is it best to do the police check APHRA suggest before I send my APHRA papers off? I've just had a CRB update at work would this not count?

Jenpen great to hear from another midwife ... I seem to see a lot of nurses on the forums so it's always great to hear from midwives, where are you at in your journey?

Look forward to hearing from you all

michala

This is what I got certified.

birth cert

marriage cert

passport

drivers licence & photocard

ielts cert

nmc registration

uni transcripts

school & college certs

any other further training you have undertaken in your career. The CRB check only came out in February & I submitted mine in January so not sure but I would probably just get it done now. When uni sent my transcripts they did not send info regarding my practical skills and placements initially (EU Directives) so make sure they are aware that this needs to be sent, and get everything certified by a notary public rather than a magistrate as APHRA wanted my ID docs re certifying which held it all up. Hope this helps. Xx

Dewie thanks that's a great help, your NMC registration .. Is that not what we pay for them to release to APHRA? The further training is that pretty much your CPD folder certificates reflections etc? I've paid and received my transcripts from uni do I need them for so,etching extra is it a letter or list of skills? Ahh would a justice of he peace be appropriate as I have a colleague at work who is willing to sign them and she is a justice of the peace? Just don't want to delay anything so trying to cover all bases and put extra in if necessary! Think I'm just going to do the CRB check now then to be on the safe side and one less stress

no no didn't do any work experience out there wasn't actually planning on anything other than holiday really and e ailed a cv whilst I was there and they interviewed me and offered me the job the next day it's a small unit 1100 deliveries a year ... It's 4500 where I work now so big difference! It's mixed public and private so still get to keep some autonomy which seems like a happy compromise to me.

How funny where will you be flying from? Will have to arrange a midwives get together for the poms great to speak to others in same boat and at a similar stage certainly helps stop me stressing!!

Dewie thanks that's a great help, your NMC registration .. Is that not what we pay for them to release to APHRA? The further training is that pretty much your CPD folder certificates reflections etc? I've paid and received my transcripts from uni do I need them for so,etching extra is it a letter or list of skills? Ahh would a justice of he peace be appropriate as I have a colleague at work who is willing to sign them and she is a justice of the peace? Just don't want to delay anything so trying to cover all bases and put extra in if necessary! Think I'm just going to do the CRB check now then to be on the safe side and one less stress ��

no no didn't do any work experience out there wasn't actually planning on anything other than holiday really and e ailed a cv whilst I was there and they interviewed me and offered me the job the next day �� it's a small unit 1100 deliveries a year ... It's 4500 where I work now so big difference! It's mixed public and private so still get to keep some autonomy which seems like a happy compromise to me.

How funny where will you be flying from? Will have to arrange a midwives get together for the poms �� great to speak to others in same boat and at a similar stage certainly helps stop me stressing!! ��

Hi Michala, you don't need to send reflections just things such as mentorship, cannulation, proof of extra roles such as newborn life support trainer. I don't think you are required to send mandatory training certs. The university have to send the transcripts direct but I also sent certified photo copies that I had. Yes the NMC send your registration but you also have to photocopy your initial reg card and letter, I also sent the current one. I would get your docs certified by a notary public because I got mine certified by a magistrate and they asked for them to be recertified by a notary public, it does cost but it saves the hold-up.

What was your interview like, what sort of things do I need to swat up on? That's my next stressor. :arghh:

Ahh right I see just more extra skills you've aquired ... How do you prove things like catheterisation, venepuncture etc. that you learn as you train and don't have specific proof for? Not sure if I still have my initial reg card and letter ... Do you know what we do if that's the case? Did you just pick someone local if you don't mind asking how much were you charged as don't want to get ripped off!

Interview was was the easiest part so far lol .... Very similar to those here in the uk just a lot more laid back was interviewed by matron and band 7, just asked questions about my experiences and what I've been involved in here then scenarios followed by interpreting a ctg and writing my management plan, wasn't difficult at all and a lot less scary than here think it helps they were so friendly and laid back :cute:

Hi there ladies,

I am a midwife in Perth on a 189 PR skilled visa, currently living in Secret Harbour, about 15minutes north of Mandurah. My AHPRA went to board on the 2nd April 2015 - just to warn you, I applied on the 1st September 2014....

You absolutely need to have completed 10 caseloading continuity of care cases as part of your training and modules in pharmacology in order to get straight on the register. You also need to be degree qualified not diploma. If you didnt do the 10 cases then you have to be supervised for around 3 months although the level of supervision is determined by the midwifery manager where you are employed and a supervision plan submitted to ahpra and agreed. Most hospitals over in WA are now aware and working with AHPRA and international midwives to get this started however it is a new development and also means they only have a few places in each area because these midwives may need to be supernumary.

Is Peel region private or public? I understand that southern health wa are really trying to get this going but Peel I wasnt aware if they were employing with supervisory conditions on registration so it may be worth checking if you cant meet the full criteria.

I would certainly be keen to go to Mandurah to work - the commute will be a million times easier than here to Fiona Stanley.

Anyway good luck with it all, Becky

Hi becky thanks for your response its always good to hear from someone going through it! I think with APHRA they were saying here's been a back log but they are trying to get back to their normal response time of 4-6 weeks ... Have you sent yours to the local office in WA? I was told Darwin were processing it quicker??

Not it too sure about the 10 case loading continuity of care ... Does our QPO count as proof of these with all our numbers in as from what I read my QPO should meet the criteria? I am degree qualified I have a letter being done by uni with my hours including a breakdown of theory and clinical hours, the uni is accredited by the NMC and that I've studied medicine management so I think this should cover some of the criteria?

The matron at peel didn't seem to think there would be a problem, and my friend who is going through a similar thing has all the above and this is has been sufficient for anmac just hope it will be for APHRA :confused: it's like a minefield!!

Sorry to say but what is sufficient for anmac is very different than for ahpra.... I'm not sure what qpo is but if you mean your log book then you need it to have 10 minimum in the caseloading section. Most midwives I know only do 3ish so won't meet the criteria fully without supervision. By the sounds of it you will meet the pharmacology though. I would not hold your breath re 4-6 weeks for ahpra - in fact I'd suggest 4-6 months might be a push! They are absolutely useless and that's me being polite! I applied and everything was sent and in their hand 8 months ago. That's not a backlog, that's sheer inefficiency. I would suggest applying for ahpra at the same time as your anmac. Also in regards to the offices, all applications are initially screening by the local offices you mention but then go to a 2nd team for international assessment which is the same no matter which you apply through and then it has to go to a board which only meets monthly for a decision, which takes them up to 4 weeks to tell you the answer. My board was 3.5 weeks ago and I'll die of shock if they bother to tell me this week. So yes, a 4-6 week timeframe I'd die of shock if they managed to meet that one!

I would suggest getting back in touch with the matron and asking specifically about whether they would accept supervision and if she isn't aware of it then start worrying as for international midwives it's going to be the norm and all the public hospitals have put into place employment and strategies to get us through it.

Sorry I'm not sounding v positive.... It's been a huge long journey from hell with ahpra. We arrived in Perth mid Jan and I'm still not working. We are financially suffering now and mentally/emotionally it's been a challenge. They say they want UK midwives but I've just wanted to turn around and go back they've made the process so unnecessarily stressful!

Hi there ladies,

I am a midwife in Perth on a 189 PR skilled visa, currently living in Secret Harbour, about 15minutes north of Mandurah. My AHPRA went to board on the 2nd April 2015 - just to warn you, I applied on the 1st September 2014....

You absolutely need to have completed 10 caseloading continuity of care cases as part of your training and modules in pharmacology in order to get straight on the register. You also need to be degree qualified not diploma. If you didnt do the 10 cases then you have to be supervised for around 3 months although the level of supervision is determined by the midwifery manager where you are employed and a supervision plan submitted to ahpra and agreed. Most hospitals over in WA are now aware and working with AHPRA and international midwives to get this started however it is a new development and also means they only have a few places in each area because these midwives may need to be supernumary.

Is Peel region private or public? I understand that southern health wa are really trying to get this going but Peel I wasnt aware if they were employing with supervisory conditions on registration so it may be worth checking if you cant meet the full criteria.

I would certainly be keen to go to Mandurah to work - the commute will be a million times easier than here to Fiona Stanley.

Anyway good luck with it all, Becky

Hi, Matt&beck, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, they really have put you through the ringer!! My AHPRA went to panel on the 15/4 & I was told it would take 3-4 wks from then so hopefully you will be registered soon. After your story I'm no longer holding my breath. I am also hoping to get a job at fiona Stanley and was looking at secret harbour, what's it like? Is the commute really bad?

I've got my fingers crossed for you it can only get better. Xx

Michaela I just googled Notary Public, mine charged £10 per document. Xx

Hi, Matt&beck, I'm sorry to hear about your experience, they really have put you through the ringer!! My AHPRA went to panel on the 15/4 & I was told it would take 3-4 wks from then so hopefully you will be registered soon. After your story I'm no longer holding my breath. I am also hoping to get a job at fiona Stanley and was looking at secret harbour, what's it like? Is the commute really bad?

I've got my fingers crossed for you it can only get better. Xx

Michaela I just googled Notary Public, mine charged £10 per document. Xx

Hi Dewie, Did yours go to board very quickly then? and did you fulfil the continuity criteria? Im just wondering at the last minute if there was anything else I couldve handed in!! They just kept asking for more and more and in the end I had to insist it went to board without as I literally had nothing else to provide!

The commute to Fiona Stanley probably isnt too awful - it takes 35 mins door to door with no traffic, however the traffic can be bad particularly on a 9-5. Most appear to drive to Warnbro and get the train which takes about 22 minutes I think. For me its just all the mucking about, paying for parking, train tickets blah blah blah basically plus I have school age children and my husband is out of the house at 5.45am so Im a little worried about early morning childcare if Im on nights or earlies. Just all round, Id prefer to be closer.

Secret Harbour is nice, particularly if you have kids as my experience of both the primary and senior school have been very good and I certainly see no need to consider private schooling. It is full of english people though and a real pocket of expense as in the properties are more than neighbouring suburbs, even Golden Bay which is currently going through massive building and will eventually neighbour the suburb with little differentiation between the areas is much much much cheaper. There is also not much here, one supermarket, a dr and few bits but in general I find myself in Port Kennedy most of the time! In fact, Id move to Port Kennedy but its not the high school catchment.

The suburbs here are weird. Its like a planner in an office imagines and little village and then goes and builds it as prettily as they can, lots of greenery and little parks and palm trees lining roads, its pretty but souless and to me most suburbs are similar, houses - particuarly in newer suburbs that ALL look the same, a few shops in the middle and a road out to a more major road. I dont know, Im not completely sold and suspect when I visit other parts of Oz I may prefer them (we will maybe not have to go visiting for a few years as I couldnt cope with another move right now!!!). I love the city, driving up there and seeing the skyline and the feel of the city is lovely, but very expensive to live there. If anything, Im tempted to go inland to the hills. We shall see, first of all I need to get AHPRA and start a flippin job!!!

When do you arrive here?

Becky

The matron at peel didn't seem to think there would be a problem

This is such good news! I havent had an interview here yet, are the scenarios emergency type things or 'what would you do in this situation' type thing? And the management plan - did you do use an acronym or anything? Im wondering how much detail I need to go into and suddently realised my registration isnt far off and I probably need to start thinking about these things! My interview when I qualified 9 years ago was the one and only midwife interview Ive had :err: Whoops!

Have you got family down here then? Whats drawing you to the area? If there is any questions you have for me feel free to ask or pm me :) Ill try my best x

Hi Dewie, Did yours go to board very quickly then? and did you fulfil the continuity criteria? Im just wondering at the last minute if there was anything else I couldve handed in!! They just kept asking for more and more and in the end I had to insist it went to board without as I literally had nothing else to provide!

The commute to Fiona Stanley probably isnt too awful - it takes 35 mins door to door with no traffic, however the traffic can be bad particularly on a 9-5. Most appear to drive to Warnbro and get the train which takes about 22 minutes I think. For me its just all the mucking about, paying for parking, train tickets blah blah blah basically plus I have school age children and my husband is out of the house at 5.45am so Im a little worried about early morning childcare if Im on nights or earlies. Just all round, Id prefer to be closer.

Secret Harbour is nice, particularly if you have kids as my experience of both the primary and senior school have been very good and I certainly see no need to consider private schooling. It is full of english people though and a real pocket of expense as in the properties are more than neighbouring suburbs, even Golden Bay which is currently going through massive building and will eventually neighbour the suburb with little differentiation between the areas is much much much cheaper. There is also not much here, one supermarket, a dr and few bits but in general I find myself in Port Kennedy most of the time! In fact, Id move to Port Kennedy but its not the high school catchment.

The suburbs here are weird. Its like a planner in an office imagines and little village and then goes and builds it as prettily as they can, lots of greenery and little parks and palm trees lining roads, its pretty but souless and to me most suburbs are similar, houses - particuarly in newer suburbs that ALL look the same, a few shops in the middle and a road out to a more major road. I dont know, Im not completely sold and suspect when I visit other parts of Oz I may prefer them (we will maybe not have to go visiting for a few years as I couldnt cope with another move right now!!!). I love the city, driving up there and seeing the skyline and the feel of the city is lovely, but very expensive to live there. If anything, Im tempted to go inland to the hills. We shall see, first of all I need to get AHPRA and start a flippin job!!!

When do you arrive here?

Becky

Hi, I sent my AHPRA off on the 02/01/14, but I won't be getting excited until I actually get my decision. I am currently a community midwife with a caseload of approx 75 women, so I have had quite a few continuity cases but I didn't specify a number. I don't know if that is taken into consideration or not. Have you applied for any jobs yet? I have applied to a few that are all southern Perth one of which is Fiona Stanley and the closing date is tomorrow. I did write on the cover letter that I plan to arrive in sept but I'm now thinking that that isn't my brightest idea as they may not short list me now. Oh well I'll just have to wait and see.

yes schools are a major consideration as my son is 15 & daughter 11, is Comet Bay the school you are referring to? This is one of the reasons I was looking at Secret Harbour. We are gonna rent for at least a year to suss out all the suburbs first, I am more of a country lover, love dogs and horses but fearful of the snakes and spiders out there so don't know if I could hack it.

We are hoping to get over there around sept time but need to secure a job first as we are not selling our house so will only have enough money for 2-3 mths. Ideally I would like the first month to be a bit of a holiday with time to explore, so job security would be good. Look forward to catching up with you down under! Keep me posted, finger crossed.

Sarah. X

P.S you will notice the lack of icons tried to reply last night but lost it all trying to put on a smiley face. :-)

Hi all sorry for the delay been a busy week! Matt&beck it sounds like you've been having a right time of it, I guess it's hard to remain positive with all that going on but I'm sure you will get there in the end :wubclub: honestly the interview was really laid back not too formal at all compared to here in the UK .... It was simple things like what I've been involved in here in the UK, how I could bring my experience to make positive changes to where I would be working, a few scenarios particularly around multi-disciplinary team work then interpreting a CTG, I just used DR CBRVADO as a guide to interpret and then based my management plan on what the case was I.e. Pre-term labour hyper stimulating so doctor review and looking at tocolytics...

I have a few friends who moved over there a few years ago (although they are moving to Melbourne now) and I recently visited in February and stayed with family friends who have been fantastic and will help support me when I make the move! Was quite happy to go anywhere in Australia but when I visited absolutely fell in love with the place and people and with being offered the job it all fell into place really!

Dewie thanks found a notary public who is going to sign all my documents tomorrow so hopefully get them sent!!! Opened my ANZ bank too will start moving money over soonish I think!

Weve re just all got to keep telling ourselves it will be worth it in the end :arghh: haha

michala :cute:

Bleurgh just checked if ANMAC had arrived and they "attempted delivery before 07:22 and if the receiver doesn't arrange to have it redelivered then it'll be returned to me" [emoji35][emoji35] fuming!

Anyone else had this? Just panicking we really don't need the hold up!

• 1 month later...

Hi All,

Hope you don't mind me joining this thread?

I'm 33 and qualified as a midwife in 2013 so just coming up to 2 years experience. I am just beginning to look at the emigration process and to say it looks confusing is putting it mildly! :wacko:

Just about to start writing lists on what information i need to apply an it is beginning to look like a minefield. However, i went to the primary care conference in May and i spoke to someone from WA department of health (i think). I manage to pick some forms up and it implies once I've registered with AHPRA, send an email to them with a well written CV (gives a link to an example) an suitable candidates will be contacted for a phone interview. This makes it sound so much easier but i'm not so sure :smile:.

Anyhow can anyone give me any info on where to actually start??

Any help/advice appreciated too

Regards

Alex