The Smiths have landed!

cutchibear

Hi all,

I can't actually believe it's my turn to be writing one of these posts after months of following others. But I wanted to share our journey so far with you.

We flew from Manchester on Tuesday with Singapore Airlines and we couldn't fault them. We turned up at check in knowing we were over our baggage allowance (11kg according to them) - we blagged it a little and were charged nothing :) we also had a stupid amount of hand luggage but that too went unnoticed. Flight was great, we had the front seats due to our toddler so plenty of leg room. Perhaps the food wasn't as good as Emirates but the staff were exceptional, always coming to speak to our son and attending to every need.

We are staying at a short term rental in Kingsley which is ideal for us and not far at all for all the errands. The host Ruth is fantastic - happy to share her details if anyone is interested.

Yesterday (first day) we headed to my work first for an hour for me to say hello to the team before starting on Monday, and then headed to the CBD. We activated our accounts at NAB on Murray Street - can not recommend Yvonne enough who looked after us there. She was incredibly friendly answering all of our questions and even those non bank related! So far, banking seems very easy! From there we went to Medicare and handed over our forms (I recommend completing beforehand, speeds things along). Unfortunately being newbies we couldn't register with Centrelink there and have to go to an official office so need to suss that bit out.

In the afternoon we got our new phones and contacts sorted.

Today we got our car at John Hughes - again incredibly nice guy Tam did us a fab deal and we've got a gorgeous car to pick up next week! Then it was sorting child car seat at Toys R Us and our first visit to Spudshed.

Now relaxing with wine in our place whilst the hubby preps a curry!

No homesickness as yet, really enjoying getting out and about and we can't get over how friendly everyone is and how easy it is to find places....albeit we haven't travelled in rush hour as yet! We feel quite relaxed and taking things in our stride.

We understand now that it does get cold in an evening and we are thankful for the heaters! But it was glorious today and I was warm in my jeans and top!

Tomorrow we are viewing a couple of houses so that should be exciting.

Will update again soon!

Laura x

Thank you Laura for your lovely post, congratulations on your big move! it sounds like you've done amazing and settled in really well.

we have received our visa today and we cannot wait to get organised and go now!

its so helpful hearing everyone's experiences.

i wish you all the best in your beautiful new lives!

Update....so enjoying a few glasses of wine after my first working week in WA. It went brilliantly and I feel so lucky to be joining the Ronald McDonald House Perth team. Anyone looking to do some volunteering in Perth...contact me :) off to Sydney next week for two nights for my orientation at Head Office...pretty surreal.

Picked up our car today and I've even had a drive...love it.

Viewed more houses but still none that are right. Finding either the house great but no garden or vice versa. Any recommendations on suburbs to check out would be most welcomed. Went to Edgewater today which is gorgeous...but perhaps a little far out for my job...I could be tempted if found the right rental.

Tomorrow we are going for breakfast with PP friends at a winery...can't wait. The weather is great....bit of rain earlier this week but so lovely for Winter.

Still feeling super at ease and in love with WA. Xx

Congratulations cutchibear!

It's great hearing about you all settling in. We are due to fly out in September hopefully.

I'm worrying about all the packing at the mo, and was just wondering if you used vacum packed bags for your clothes? We have so much, in particular the jumpers we thought we could vacum pack these?

Where abouts are you living?

Sharyn

Morning @Sharyn10

Yes we used vacuum packs but to be honest they were all letting air in by the time we came to pack them in our cube! We ended up moulding them into the spaces left and vacuuming the air out once they were in place for one final time...otherwise they wouldn't have fit. I can let you know the end result on them when we get our stuff in a few weeks :)

We are currently in a lovely short term rental in kingsley but not sorted our next rental out yet...lots available but I'm being too picky! Day of open house viewings today!

Laura

We were told not to use vacuum packs as no air makes things go mouldy .

Hello PP. Perhaps we were lucky, we had no mould at all. I think the secret is to make sure everything is crispy dry. ( we left in March) No problems with AQUIS either, they looked at a few things in our 20' container, without any comment.

Been here now since March 13th and still minor sorting outs going on - must be our ages!!