Moving to perth

Scotty81

Australian winter is cold mostly early morning and night time, days can be very nice. However, not sure about the reason but people say that poms feel more cold in Perth than UK winter. You do need a cardigan or jumper though. In the sun it really feels nice and in shade feels cold. I hope it helps somewhat.

Ok...we are getting sorted gradually...the shipping company come on the 28th and pack our house up! The one thing I'm dreading is flying with our 17 month old boy who doesn't sit still and gets frustrated when he doesn't get his own way!! We went out for xmas just gone and that was his first time and it was horrendous!! Went Singapore then this time Emirates to see if breaking the flying time up a bit might help? Any tips on flying with a restless 17 month old would be much appreciated :smile:

Hi, Traveling with babies can be very stressful, I agree. Like adults they have to be hydrated, because they cant tell you if their ears are popping or not. Have your baby's favorite toy or songs on hand. Also message to sooth the baby. Any favorite biscuits or snacks will be helpful to. Through the journey its probably better if the baby is less stimulated because normally when babies are over tired and are away from their own environment they have trouble sleeping. Planes do have cots but sometimes having an extra seat next to you works better.

Breaking the flight would be better for all of you. Check with airline, it may take longer to get here but at least all the excitement of coming here will be intact. Dubai to Perth is 11 hours and it is long time for anyone let alone a baby and the carers. If you can, then even do a short stopovers in couple of places to give yourself a mini holiday before embarking on your big adventure of settlement.

• 4 weeks later...

Hi guys, im so jealous your all making your way to Australia, ive just visited Australia Perth and a beautiful place called Yamba, ive been looking since ive come back ways to live out there, my aunt and cousins live there but all that ive been reading is that im too old at 47 and not educated enough, my husband works at fedx and im a manager in real estate, i have two sons 25 and 18 ones going into the royal marines and the youngest is a professional rugby player, has anyone got any tips to help us get out there. Any tips would be appreciated. Goodluck to the ones on their way.

Hi guys, im so jealous your all making your way to Australia, ive just visited Australia Perth and a beautiful place called Yamba, ive been looking since ive come back ways to live out there, my aunt and cousins live there but all that ive been reading is that im too old at 47 and not educated enough, my husband works at fedx and im a manager in real estate, i have two sons 25 and 18 ones going into the royal marines and the youngest is a professional rugby player, has anyone got any tips to help us get out there. Any tips would be appreciated. Goodluck to the ones on their way.

aww surely theres a way x

Your occupation is I think on the CSOL. However, occupations on here require some form of sponsorship - state or business. There is only one state sponsoring it which is SA, but that has very special conditions attached such as having studied a degree there.

However, even if there were, it would leave the issue of points. Skilled migration requires a minimum of 60 points. This is made up from a range of things including age. There lies a problem. There are no points for age after 45 years of age. As a result, most people find they can not get enough points after that age.

You could attempt business sponsorship. However, first, I would think it VERY unlikely for this occupation and second, even if you did, it would only be a temporary visa for up to 4 years.

There are other issues as well. You would not be able to bring your sons as they would not qualify under your visas as they are no longer dependent.

So, I am afraid it is not looking good.

• 2 weeks later...
Ok...we are getting sorted gradually...the shipping company come on the 28th and pack our house up! The one thing I'm dreading is flying with our 17 month old boy who doesn't sit still and gets frustrated when he doesn't get his own way!! We went out for xmas just gone and that was his first time and it was horrendous!! Went Singapore then this time Emirates to see if breaking the flying time up a bit might help? Any tips on flying with a restless 17 month old would be much appreciated :smile:

Hi Scotty81.... your thread got a bit highjacked there along the way, but I am just wondering how you all coped on the long flight.

Hi Scotty81.... your thread got a bit highjacked there along the way, but I am just wondering how you all coped on the long flight.

Well we have been living in Perth SOR now for a month, my wife has settled into her job well and is really enjoying it, I'm still currently unemployed and have applied for heaps of jobs but no luck!!

If anyone on here has any work for me SOR let me know! Haha

The flight with my son in the end was actually very good, a lot better than he was at Xmas time when we came out, I put it down to flying with Emirates this time tho and would highly recommend them, very child friendly and helpful flight crew.

Has anyone else arrived yet?

Good to hear you are settling in Scotty81. We are just waiting for our house to sell and then we are booking our flights.

I do know the prison services have started a recruitment drive now the job freeze has ended. You could try looking on the websites for the jobs which are now available and apply.

Good luck with the job hunting.