Hello poms!!

Paul2680

Hi everyone, we're new to the forum and slowly but surely progressing through the visa system!! I (Paul) am a air con/refrigeration engineer, currently waiting on vetassess to give me a date for the practical test and getting nervous and excited at the same time!!

House goes on the market next week, hoping for a September/October move, fingers crossed!

We've been out to Perth a couple of times and fell in love with the place, we'll be going to the Jindalee/Quinns Rock area hopefully, depending on the job prospects, schools etc

All advice and any contacts in my industry gratefully recieved and maybe we can catch up for a beer once we make it out!

Paul, Debs, Jack & Victoria

Hi Shaz, thank you for the warm welcome. We started the visa process in September last year but it took forever to get all the paperwork required together mostly due to the references taking months to get from people, it seems no-one wants me to leave the UK lol

It should be smoother from now on though fingers crossed!

We've been using the forum to gather info on various topics for a few months and have found it invaluable and a hopefully a great source to network a bit and start to make some friends as we will know literally no-one when we move!!

You are welcome. I am sure everything will be fine. I remember when we were in the process, every procedural letter used to give us warning not to wrap up our affairs yet as if hahaha. It took us one year so sounds like the time frame is still the same even after 30+ years. I found senior members of this forum very knowledgeable and helpful. Personally I would like to read people's feedback on their experience of this big adventure, after all it is not a decision you make it lightly.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Paul! Good luck with it all, our visas took just over a year but just take it one day at a time. :-) I haven't been on here since about 2011 when we started the process... after much soul searching and a baby (now toddler), we're going to give it a go for 6 months. Feeling half excited but mostly just a bit sick now that the time is nearly here... the house is sold and I'm just having a little break from getting shipping quotes... anyway, good luck! :-)

Hi mazey, yes patience is certainly a virtue when it comes to the visa process, something we are lacking in at the moment :-D still in the grand scheme of things what's a year or so when you have the rest of your life to live!

We've just put our house on the market and waiting for my practical assessment date to come through, got to book an ielts test next and practice like mad to make sure I pass it!!

Good luck with the move, im sure it will all work out for you!!

• 1 month later...

So, a quick update on where we are with our application for those that might be interested. Got a date through for my practical assessment and all booked onto the next one available..24th Sept!! Bit of a bummer having to wait so long as we can't progress until I've passed this. So we've adjusted our plans somewhat and it gives us even more time to deal with the other stuff like the house etc

Ive also been in touch with an IELTS tutor and have a couple of practice papers to do and get checked to see if I need any help to pass it, watch this space on that one ;-)

So it seems we'll have yet another manky winter here, but on the bright side at least it's summer now...well sometimes :-)

• 3 weeks later...

Hi All

Completely brand new to the forum and delighted to have come across it..............Hopefully moving to Perth within a year. It has taken 13 months for Vetassess to approve my skills assessment. Just sat the IELTS for the first time and not feeling too confident about the outcome and after reading about it, I am almost certain that it may take a few attempts. I cannot even submit an EOI or apply for my visa until I pass this IELTS to give me the amount of required points that I need. Is the visa process as long as a year too? I am using a migration officer and she advised that this is the process..........not sure if I am patient enough to wait another year for the visa application too...........it feels as though it has taken forever ;0( glad to get in touch with you all to stay positive...

Scots hoping to migrate soon ;0)

Hi All

Completely brand new to the forum and delighted to have come across it..............Hopefully moving to Perth within a year. It has taken 13 months for Vetassess to approve my skills assessment. Just sat the IELTS for the first time and not feeling too confident about the outcome and after reading about it, I am almost certain that it may take a few attempts. I cannot even submit an EOI or apply for my visa until I pass this IELTS to give me the amount of required points that I need. Is the visa process as long as a year too? I am using a migration officer and she advised that this is the process..........not sure if I am patient enough to wait another year for the visa application too...........it feels as though it has taken forever ;0( glad to get in touch with you all to stay positive...

Scots hoping to migrate soon ;0)

• 1 month later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hey mazey, its great to hear from!! So happy you made it there and are settling in. Hows the house hunting going?? I've been keeping an eye on the weather over there and saw its been quite chilly, but it'll soon be summer, so the jumpers can go back in the suitcase lol

We're progressing slowly at the moment. My skills test is booked for 24th sept and my ielts for 10th sept, until those two bad boys are passed we're in limbo. I did a practice paper the other day and got an ielts tutor to mark it (freebie from the migration agent!!) and I got 7's which isn't bad for a first attempt, so the real deal shouldn't be a problem with a bit of revision.

In the meantime we're getting the various bits of info ready for the visa application, oh and we sold the house which is taking forever to go through!! Got a feeling it'll all happen soon and fall into place so watch this space lol

Keep in touch and let us know how the job hunting goes, fingers crossed you'll both find something quick!!

• 4 weeks later...
So I only went and passed the IELTS on the first attempt, with - R9 L9 W8.5 & S9!! So happy I don't have to go through that again!! Next up is skills assessment outcome, which I did yesterday, so fingers crossed for this now. Slowly getting there!!

great news - well done

Good for you, it nice when it gets exciting when more things are ticked off that you have to go through. Congrats on the house sale. We waited till after we got our case officer assigned to put our house up for sale, 2 months later and no offers yet, its now the only thing holding us back but we didn't want to have to move twice. 2 more viewings booked in for Friday so fingers crossed. Good luck with the EOI, we got our invite afer a couple of days. Things will start to move quickly now. X

We figured the house would be the sticking point and we decided we'd move regardless, it took us 8 weeks to find a buyer and a further 12 weeks to get to exchange, now we're frantically trying to find a local short term rental, which isn't easy, but Deb reckons if the worst comes to the worst we'll just camp out at the airport till the visas come through lol

We won't be completing till end of October so that buys us a bit of time!!

Good luck with the house, keep us posted and hopefully see you early next year on the other side.

• 2 weeks later...

Great news Paul, well done! And good luck with the house sales everyone.

On our side, my husband has found work and I am just doing some temp work (data entry). Not quite what I'd hoped for but hey, it's money coming in! :-D

Really enjoying Perth now the weather is warming up!

We got our invite to apply through today having lodged our EOI yesterday afternoon, yay!!! We're also in the midst of moving to a short term rental that we found and our house sale completes on Friday finally :jiggy:

What a week and its only Tuesday lol

Great news, we have been here 5 weeks today and love jindalee area.

You'll be booking flights soon

Deb

• 4 weeks later...

Well the dust has finally settled with our house move, we've lodged our visa application and now waiting for a case officer to be assigned. So we're now starting to look into the logistics of the big move, namely looking for a holiday rental for when we land, but it's looking a bit thin on the ground at the moment, does anyone have any contacts from when you moved over?? Providing the visas get approved this side of Christmas we'll be looking to come out around 12/13th Jan.

Any help with this will be massively appreciated!!