Passed the 10 years in Perth mark, 15 years in Australia - happy to help where we can

chigal

Hi all,

I used to to be on here years and years ago..so long ago that I couldn't recall any login details! Back to being a 'junior'!! Great to see the site still thriving :-)

Ex West Sussex with a Canadian husband (happy to help any Canadians too!). Both employed (Analyst/Electrician) and have children (ranging from 11 to 27) plus one crazy cat.

I just thought I'd pop in and say hi and offer assistance where I can - particularly to anyone coming to or already SOR (South Perth-Como patch in particular).

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Congratulations on passing the 10 year mark in Perth.

I have only just joined the board as part of starting to plan to come over later this year - before our permant residency visa expires.

I am hoping to find work as a Project Manager (IT) in the city but was wondering whether you could help me narrow down my search of areas.

I am looking for a decent school for my 7 year old and 10 year old and preferably somewhere with decent transport links ideally not too far from the coast or the river.

Are there any suburbs would you suggest I start looking at?

When I visited a few years ago I stayed in Scarborough and visited friends in Cottesloe but believed they were quite expensive. I liked the vibe in Subiaco but don't really know whether that would be a suitable place to live?

Grateful for any ideas and suggestions.

Kind regards

Simon

Hi Simon and welcome to the forum.

IT isn't our area so we can't offer any assistance there I'm afraid. School wise I suggest Shelley (not cheap but close to the river and zoned to Rossmoyne which is one of the best government schools in the State. Willeton is now rivalling Rossmoyne so that's another area to look. Bateman also and that general area could work well with good freeway links. Our kids are at a private school which isn't cheap but it's good and they love it. There is also South Perth, Como and Victoria Park just immediately south of the river all of which are an easy commute to the CBD. Applecross High has been well regarded but seems to have gone downhill of late and a number of friends have commented on the poorer standards with one going as far as removing their child from the school and going private instead.

The coast is maybe a 20 minute drive from the suburbs mentioned with the river considerably closer. Grab googlemaps and take a look around re links to the city. Victoria Park is a higher crime area so keep that in mind but it is becoming more upmarket and with improvements at nearby Burswood may well make for a sound investment. In my opinion it's undervalued. One can walk to the city from Vic Park and it is well serviced with shops, restaurants and cafes.

Hope that helps even a little a bit.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi,

Congratulations on passing the 10 year mark!!

I am going to shift to Perth soon.

I have a job in Leederville and my husband is going to be studying at Curtin University, Bentley Campus ... so just thinking which suburb would be good for us, if we do not take a car initially.

Also, we have 2 kids, 9 and 4, so, we are trying to find a good Primary school also for them.

Would South Perth be a good option ?

Hello!

Anywhere with good bus and/rail links I suggest in the absence of a car. Canning Bridge train station has good connections by bus to Curtin and by rail to Leederville so anywhere around there could work eg Como, Manning (higher crime in parts) or if the budget allows, Applecross.

I've heard good things about South Perth Primary. Unsure about Como in terms of government schools as our kids are in the private sector - at the moment. We may move the youngest to Como Secondary given the EMiTS program (a quick google search will give more info). For South Perth Primary you'll need to be zoned to the school to guarantee attendance there. Their website should provide zoning or 'catchment' information. If you go private eg Wesley College in South Perth, so long as you can pay the bill you're in..or should I say bills (endowment fee etc.). That said, there is or certainly used to be quite the waiting list for Wesley.

Personally, I'd be looking ahead to what secondary schools are around and good particularly in the state system (assuming that's your preference). I wish in hindsight we had done that. Check out Rossmoyne, Applecross (although recent reports aren't so good) and Willeton. There is also Perth Modern for the super smart kids by way of an entrance exam - well worth the move but do your research and know the cut off dates).

Hi,

Congratulations on passing the 10 year mark!!

I am going to shift to Perth soon.

I have a job in Leederville and my husband is going to be studying at Curtin University, Bentley Campus ... so just thinking which suburb would be good for us, if we do not take a car initially.

Also, we have 2 kids, 9 and 4, so, we are trying to find a good Primary school also for them.

Would South Perth be a good option ?