Dogs in Perth

Guest indalees

Guest indalees

I am beginning to think I am totally insane... I am in the process of applying to WA Police. There is a long way to go yet and no saying I will get the job, but I have been looking at the what, ifs and maybes (with my fingers crossed!)

My main headache is that I currently have 4 dogs. One of which may stay behind as she is getting on a bit. Now my problems started when my research showed that most councils in Perth state 2 dogs per house. I have had my own house for about 15 years so do no have any references, however my dogs are really well trained, are pretty quiet and do not cause a nusiance. I can provide neighbour references and pictures of my current house if that would help?? My dogs currrently have the run of downstairs and a dog flap.

I have been looking at rentals just to get an idea. I would need to rent for probably 6 months before venturing into buying somewehere. After the move I will only have £10-15 k but it should be enough for a deposit.

I have heard there are 'kennel areas' can anyone help with that as I can't find any more info.

I would be happy to live up to an hour away from Joondalup if it makes life easier for me and my dogs.

Any help appreciated!!

Guest firedart

Hi. Yes I believe 2 dogs allowed is correct. There are kennels near Joondalup, one kennel is called Northern Suburbs Pet Chalet, it is nearer to Carramar and the last time I put a dog in there it was about $23 per night which could prove quite expensive long term!

To be honest, with 4 dogs your chances of getting a rental are about 0% It is difficult enough to find a rental to allow 1 dog (some will accept 1 dog) but as I said in a previous post, preference will always be given to applicants with no pets :( It's just the way it is. Good luck with your WA Police application.

My friend had taken a rescue dog in recently taking her up to 3 dogs and someone complained (even though well behaved and no noise) so she sadly had to re-home the rescue dog. There are kennel areas, but I don't know if you then have to register your property as a kennel or breeding etc., (sorry don't own a dog), If you google kennel areas and then look at those areas and perhaps contact the individual shires (as they all may have slightly differnt rules). Finding rentals which take animals can be problematic at the best of times and you may run into a bigger hurdle having 2 or 3

Hi indalees, I hope you don't mind me asking but are you in the Police in the UK ?? My son has been to the Police academy in Joondalup and been told to apply when he is 18, so next month he is going to apply. Just wondered what your situation is?? We are still in the Uk and my son wants to move over if his application is accepted. Many thanks Debbie

• 2 months later...
Guest indalees

Hi Debra, sorry for not replying, I've not been on this site for ages and have been crazy busy. Yes I am a police officer in the uk. I went for the transitional programme for WAPol and luckily got through to the physical and interview stage on Monday just gone. I somehow passed the physical and the interview went ok so now I have to wait until January for the yes or no...then the expense starts!

As far as your son is concerned it would be a case of getting a few years under his belt in the UK then wait for somewhere in Oz to recruit internationally. I have been waiting 4 years for this!

Guest pom on the move
I am beginning to think I am totally insane... I am in the process of applying to WA Police. There is a long way to go yet and no saying I will get the job, but I have been looking at the what, ifs and maybes (with my fingers crossed!)

My main headache is that I currently have 4 dogs. One of which may stay behind as she is getting on a bit. Now my problems started when my research showed that most councils in Perth state 2 dogs per house. I have had my own house for about 15 years so do no have any references, however my dogs are really well trained, are pretty quiet and do not cause a nusiance. I can provide neighbour references and pictures of my current house if that would help?? My dogs currrently have the run of downstairs and a dog flap.

I have been looking at rentals just to get an idea. I would need to rent for probably 6 months before venturing into buying somewehere. After the move I will only have £10-15 k but it should be enough for a deposit.

I have heard there are 'kennel areas' can anyone help with that as I can't find any more info.

I would be happy to live up to an hour away from Joondalup if it makes life easier for me and my dogs.

Any help appreciated!!

Hi There just found this may be of some help

A person may only keep two dogs unless they have received specific approval from this local government to keep more. Dogs must be registered under the provisions of the Dog Act. The local law also addresses various matters regarding kennel establishments. A brochure on good dog ownership is available from the City upon request.

from http://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/Live/AnimalsInTheCity.aspx

Also renting with even just 1 pet can be a big problem & in the rental market might be very hard. Best to contact the City Council to ask their advice.

The last thing you want to do is bring them then you have to have one taken away.

All the Best

Any help appreciated!!

Hi there

I hope I can help a bit but anybody else please correct me if some of my facts are not quite right. We have been here exactly 2 years and have 2 dogs. I am also a foster carer fo S.A.F.E Perth (saving animals from euthanasia) and when I can, I go up to 3 dogs. Firstly, you are right about the 2 dogs being the limit in the Perth Metro area but I may be wrong here, but in some areas (some councils) you may be able to purchase an extra, special license (it would probabaly have some conditions to it). An area where these rules don't apply is in the Kennel Zone area in Southern River. This is the real doggie suburb where all the breeders and kennels are based. It might not be everybodies choice of area to live with the noise etc. The other thing that will be very hard to come by is a rental for more than a single dog. We found it very hard (almost impossible) and are now renting from a friend of a friend. You will find dog friendly rentals but often they have a stipulation such as, only one dog, small dog or dog that only lives outside. The hardest thing for us apart from having 2, was that we wanted them to be inside and one is a relatively large dog (we have a lab and a kelpie x staff). I have just noticed that you said you were interested in Joondalup so Southern River is prob too far for you as Joondalup is Northern Suburbs. I suppose one other idea may be to move further out into the country a bit. I know people with 3 but they are all further out. Lastly alot also depends on your neighbours. In the house we were in before I regularly had 3, but the neighbours were Ok and no-one ever reported me. Hope that this has helped a small bit. Good luck with all your decision making. Feel free to PM me if you want to or have any other doggie (or any other) questions. Take Care