Popular Content

Showing most liked content since 18/07/17 in all areas

  1. 3 likes
    I dont want to sound like a pessimist, but I am a realist, given Perths current "Recession" & all the visa changes, I wouldn't be moving over on a 457 any time soon, the freight / trucking industry is one of the hardest hit with the mining slow down, nothing needs moving north, there are a lot of unemplyed people in Perth and the new McClown Govt is all for getting them jobs jobs before you, I work at Perth Airport, the FIFO fleet are only doing half the flying they were doing 3 years ago, some of the smaller companies have gone belly up or pulled the plug, even Qantas moved their turboprop fleet back east, I am even starting to worry about my job, sorry for being a realist, but I have seen a lot of 457 sponsored families leaving Perth with their tail between their legs, given the current climate 457 should really not be an option, I came over on a 457 6 years ago, during the boom, it was tough then, my wife couldnt get a job, my son struggled to get an apprenticeship, my daughter even decided to retrain, she has just completed a self study Cert IV, took her 3 years, and that was after doing a 5 Year Uni Degree in the UK, so now she has a massive student loan debt in the UK and a degree which is useless in Perth, maybe if she even moves to Melbourne or Sydney it will come in usefull, what ever you decide, good luck..............
  2. 2 likes
    On a 489 there is a legal requirement to live in a regional area for 2 years and work in a regional area for 1 year. The closest regional area to Perth is Mandurah. You family would also need to be living in a regional area The family stream 489 also has one of the longest processing times
  3. 2 likes
    Well we finally got the all clear to fly yesterday and this morning i rebooked our flights for next week. Strangely it was cheaper for us to book a stopover in Abu Dhabi for 2 nights that to just change planes and fly on. So i will now be enjoying a couple of days by the pool in the sunshine to relax and de-stress after the past 3 weeks.
  4. 2 likes
    Such a great post Jen. We have our flights booked for 6th Sept so very excited! We are going to be NOR around kallaroo, beldon area we think. We have 14 year old twins and they are super excited. I hope they settle in ok but they are both easy going do should be fine - they are going to have to repeat 3 months of year 9 but hoping that will give them time to settle before starting year 10. I don't have a job to go to yet, but hubby does so feel relieved we will have one income! Not having a job is stressing me out a bit - I've worked since I finished uni so will be a big odd not to work! But I'm going to make the most of it for a while and am looking forward to spending more time with the children, running, cycling during the day rather than at night after a busy day at work! All our belongings are currently on a ship- it feels a bit surreal at the mo! But I can't wait 😃
  5. 2 likes
    Hi, we haven't got anything more than fleece throws, woolly socks and slippers and dressing gowns. I've got a hot water bottle but only used it twice a few weeks ago. We're not finding the nights too bad. You will need jumpers / hoodies etc as the houses can feel quite cool even if its warm outside. Winter is more like a wet UK spring really. Can't complain!
  6. 2 likes
    Hi guys, Its been a while since i have been on here as we have been mega busy but just thought i would give a quick update. My wife (Main applicant) now has her AHPRA registration in full Anmac skills assessment complete and we are just waiting until October when she has 5 years experience for the extra points. (will be total of 60) And to top it off i have just received my results and will be graduating from University in September with a masters MEng - Mechanical Engineering - Distinction. I did consider doing a skills assessment for extra 5 points but by the time this comes through we will be in October anyway and can save the cost to put against medicals etc. So roll on October would love to have visas in place by February as we plan on visiting again at that time. Steve & Sarah
  7. 2 likes
    A friend had this happen to her last year. She was in UK visiting from WA - both her daughters came down with Chicken Pox within a day of each other and they were due to fly 6 days later. They were not allowed to fly until for another 2 weeks. Their travel insurance kicked in and as they were staying with family in UK there was no cost, but the insurance paid to change their flights, and they were incredibly lucky to be upgraded to Business Class as the BC cabin was almost empty... they travelled Emirates. Please get the treating GP to give you a written statement of what is happening and contact your airline or travel agent immediately. As an aside, I would be mighty pissed off if someone with such a contagious disease was on a flight that I was travelling on.... expect you would be too if you were an innocent passenger.
  8. 2 likes
    Some excellant and accurate posts on here. In short - Perth is doing it tough economically at the moment but your partner has a gig to come to which is great. Silver lining is that it is very much a renters market so lots of places available to rent. I rent a 3 bed house with a super garden (got a 3 year old kid) in Mount Hawthorn (nice area about 4km north of CBD) for $450pw. check out domain.com.au to get an idea of properties. A general rule of thumb is the closer to the coast the nicer the area. Perth is expensive for leisure items (Drinks, meals out etc) and you are pretty much jumping on a plane for 4-5 hours to visit the other main cities in Aus. Great lifestyle, super beaches and climate, It's been 22/23 and sunny most days of June so far but drops down at night, this is winter. I think you need to treat this as a 2 year adventure. Don't burn your bridges completely in the UK. Can you rent out your place in the UK? (although it may be a good time to sell as IMO there is a recession en route). Come with the attitude that you are going to embrace it as an experience but will be going back in 2 years. If you love it and can find a way to stay in 2 years cross that bridge then.
  9. 2 likes
    Think I met the same sour face woman at Welshpool the other week. Crime sounds high here as they have nothing else to talk about on the news. Driving gets my goat too, they sit at the lights waiting for a colour they like before they pull away like an arthritic snail then block the passing lane on the freeway or Mandurah road going south because they want to turn right in 20k's. I like Stocklands.... so much nicer than Rockingham to shop in. I will say people don't seem to be able to say sorry or excuse me and will deliberately stand in from of you when you are looking at something on the shelves. cant get my head around the takeaway shops being shut by 9pm.... I fancied a kebab the other evening... it was shut at 7.30! in the UK you could slaver at the elephants leg until 1am. Every form of work requires a ticket... even to stand in the road with the stop go board... the TAFE's are making a killing out of courses. I cant get a gas licence as I don't have a job with a gas plumber , and I cant get a job with a gas company as I don't have a gas licence... how does that work? We cant even get broadband here, we are having to use a mobile dongle with limited data (darta) . Still, the sun still shines most days and we still love being here despite the 80's approach
  10. 2 likes
    Hi Jase, great read and it's nice that I can relate to the updates now! Great news about your house, wish the prices were like that in Willetton! I heard the 9pm bedtime curfew advert on Friday and thought it was a joke... until I realised it wasn't! And I agree with Ali about the driving, you can't always tell the nationality of the bad drivers, but its more the parking I find! Glad you've settled in well and your daughter is happy at school. None of your comments sounded whingey, just an honest evaluation of situations you've found. Life is still life, even if its sunny outside there are going to be the odd everyday stresses. There is more crime here than I thought there'd be, and I'm surprised by the size of the drug problem tbh I'm desperately trying to get my daughters' immunisations up to date to get the family assistance, needs to be done by end of June, think they might need the chicken pox one even though they've both had chicken pox. Crazy! Jen x
  11. 2 likes
    Interesting read - although it always makes me smile when people say Aussie drivers as if all the bad drivers are Australian - i'm not sure how people can tell a nationality when they're sat in a car ... always think it reads better as 'drivers in Aus' to encompass the diverse nationalities that make up WA. Regarding secondary schools, I think it depends on the area's you live also - some may not have a reputable state school and I don't think that private is necessarily better, with some excellent state secondary schools. Personally, I think it's about getting the right fit for your child for some that's private and others public. We were lucky to live in an area with a good secondary school which met my children's differing needs - my daughter was academic (and they had an extension programme) whilst my son is sporty and has been able to study sports coaching and outdoor education - getting his skippers ticket this year. Glad you've settled though and the frustrations haven't made you want to go back to the UK.
  12. 2 likes
    Hi Sarah I have been looking at various options regarding my UK pension ahead of migrating to Perth in the coming weeks. In March 2017, the UK government tightened the rules further which have further reduced some of the options (well, they actually reduced the attractiveness of some of the options). Firstly, you don't mention the approx size of the pension pot, perhaps for good reason, but note, it it is above GBP 1 million or AUD $1.6 million, then you are above the Lifetime allowance cap and hence additional taxes will apply. Option 1 - Move it to Australia As Alan mentions above, you can't do this until you are 55 as Australian QROPS (qualifying overseas pension schemes) will not accept anyone below this age. This is actually driven by HMRC, and long story short, unless something changes, you have 10 years to wait. There are limits on how much you can transfer across tax efficiently (reduces to $300k in July 2017 - could have changed again in the next 10 years). You can add more after this, but much smaller numbers. If your pension pot is below $300k, then you could transfer it tax efficiently to Australia as part of your Australian Super (with no tax to pay in the UK). If the amount you have to move is above the annual transfer limits, you begin getting taxed in Australia at your marginal tax rate - hence you would be tempted to wait until you have actually retired to take advantage of the tax free and lower tax bands from your personal allowances. Note, observe inheritance tax rules between UK and Australia. I would advise making sure all of your funds are transferred before you turn 74 (sounds easy, but not if you don't start transferring until your 65)... Also, you pay 15% tax to Australia (ATO) on ANY growth in the fund from the time you became resident in Australia. other taxes may apply as I indicate above, depending upon the size of your fund. Option 2 - Move it to New Zealand The HMRC change in March has really made this less attractive (buggers).. In short, Brits emigrating to Australia (NOT NEW ZEALAND) can do the following:- 1. Move your UK pension to an New Zealand QROPS (essentially, New Zealand government allow non resident pension funds to offer zero rate tax schemes as a way of boosting the cash brought into their economy). The impact of this is:- 2. Pay ZERO % tax on any growth in the fund. You can choose either GBP or AUD investments, which means you can keep it in sterling for now and then flip them to AUD when the exchange rate improves in the years ahead. 3. You can move it NOW - you don't have to wait until your 55. Naturally, you can't move it to Australia until you are 55. 4. At age 55 (or older) you simply draw it down and it is paid into your Australian bank account. Again, tax free. Technically it is deemed a return of capital (and growth) and it is tax free because of the trans tasman double taxation agreement between Australia and New Zealand. Sounds to good to be true. Well, thats why HMRC stepped in as lots of people were doing it and have levied a 25% exit tax on UK pensions if you move it to a place you are NOT resident in. It is still a tax efficient way for large pension transfers, but it clearly lowers the benefits. The other risk is whether the Australian government change the rules in the next 10 years and you get hit with tax coming into Australia - thats what I am frightened of. If we had done it pre-march.... it would have been a great option.... Option 3 - Leave it in the UK for now This is what I am doing. I am moving a fairly significant Defined benefit into a UK SIPP (personal pension plan) with BDH Sterling. I am initially holding it in sterling, but again I have the ability to convert the fund to AUD when the exchange rate is more attractive - hence whilst I can't move it to Australia until I'm 55, I can still jump on any exchange rate benefits in the next 10 years or so.... At age 55 I will move as much as possible into Australia tax efficiently. If New Zealand is still an option at this time, I may look to do this for some or all of my pension. I am not recommending BDH Sterling (or earning commission or anything) but what I like about them is they have UK and Australian offices as well as offering the NZ option. They can also help with the tax advice side of things as well as with the physical transfer to an Australian QROPS. Sorry for the long message.... feel free to PM me if I can help further...
  13. 1 like
    Well after all the months of prep, applying for the visa and selling our house, we have finally landed in Perth to start a new life. We landed just over a week ago, and it's all feeling a bit surreal at the mo. We are staying in Lakelands, south of Perth, near to Mandurah at the mo and it seems a nice place to live. In the past week we've managed to set up bank accounts and Medicare and are now trying to sort out a high school for our 14 yr old daughter. When people in Perth told us it rains heavy here, they weren't wrong! It's absolutely chucked it down everyday since we arrived. However, we've also experienced some sunny days and if this is their winter then we will easily go along with it! 😄 Just waiting for our shipping boxes to arrive now, so we feel a little more 'at home'. Anybody else here local to us?
  14. 1 like
    A lot of companies use the 100 point check https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/100_point_check, it's good to have the necessary items as you may also need them for work purposes when you first start a job. Some rentals will require you to pay a month in advance and there will also a monetary bond to pay (extra pet bond if you have pets). When you inspect a rental, look for anything that is wrong, marked, broken etc., and take photo's and highlight them to the landlord or agent - people have said that they have had bond withheld at the end of the lease to cover things.
  15. 1 like
    To enrol in a school you will need to provide proof that you live at the address, so you will need to sort out a utility too. We came in Jan and found a rental and enrolled the girls in schools within 2 weeks no issues.
  16. 1 like
    You will need 100 points of ID. So, it is important as soon as you arrive to register for medicare as a medicare card carries a lot of points. You will need proof that you can pay the rent either as cash in the bank with a bank statement showing funds or a contract of employment.
  17. 1 like
    I would imagine proof of funds if you'll be renting the property from November but not moving in until January, bank details, ID. I know that I have been rung as a reference for a colleague. I haven't gone through the rental process here so not 100% sure.
  18. 1 like
    I echo Verystormy and his comments. Work is hard to get in WA at the moment regardless of what area you are searching in. Yes there are some jobs, but the booming state that WA was, is no more, and it seems we are going back to the pre-boom mining times with a vengeance. My son and many of his friends who worked in WA as electricians, plumbers, brickies, mechanics, painters, engineers, geologists etc, and who all worked in the mining arena until it went pearshaped 4 or 5 years ago, have mostly had problems getting employment in Perth. So many of these young men and their families have now relocated to Queensland, NSW and Victoria. So yes there might be jobs advertised in WA, but you need to be very mindful that you need to meet all the criteria required for a position and that you will be up against many local applicants who already have the required licenses and experiences.
  19. 1 like
    Hi, yes, we were considering buying in Canning Vale in a few years maybe. How weird that our children might know each other, will pm you.
  20. 1 like
    Hi, I was living in Willetton but recently bought in Canning Vale. My son goes to Willetton SHS and is 14 (Y9) so they may know each other @Jen78. Been here three years coming up. Great area and location, I would have stayed in Willetton but couldn't afford to buy.
  21. 1 like
    https://www.dcp.wa.gov.au/Organisation/employment/InternationalRecruitment/Pages/Requirements.aspx here is a link to the WA Department for Child Protection (recently renamed Department for Communities). They do offer sponsorship from time to time. A friend of mine got through this way and was then offered assistance in getting her permanent visa two years after that. I currently work for them but came here on a permanent visa after waiting the three years after I graduated. I sympathise with you as it seemed forever to get here but it will go by in no time. 😊
  22. 1 like
    Hi Jen I live in Willetton
  23. 1 like
    Have you lived in the property as your main residence throughout the period in which you have owned it? If so, the sale is exempt from CGT. Best regards.
  24. 1 like
    Michael173.... please contact Camilla at New Life Downunder as both Ali and Verystormy have suggested. Camilla is a very well respected and efficient Registered Migration Agent and I cannot recommend her highly enough. Also - suggest you ease off on the Caps Lock as it looks like you are shouting at the forum.... not a good look!!
  25. 1 like
    dont know about school run times but would take you around 20 minutes at off peak. You have to consider work commute as well, have you been to Yanchep? its nice and shiney and new but apart from the beach not much else there.
  26. 1 like
    Hi SarahL, Thought I'd chip in with a bit more info re the current state of the economy in Perth and your likelihood of getting work as Maths and Science teachers. Whilst it's true that Perth's economy has dropped off from its previous significant highs overall it's still not a bad place to be. There's still lots of cranes on the skyline and there are new bars and restaurants opening all the time so things aren't nearly as bad as some people would make out. Perth is going through a readjustment and if your skills are now no longer in demand then it is undoubtedly tough but on the whole there's still a lot of work out there. Over the past 10-15 years the mining and oil and gas sectors were going gangbusters and that came to an abrupt halt last year causing a fair amount of pain to those whose livelihoods were tied to those sectors. Other sectors of the economy however pretty much continued on their merry little way. I work in IT, servicing all sorts of businesses, and, whilst the market was undoubtedly tight last year, the company I work for has enjoyed it's busiest period ever in the first 6 months of this year, so much say that we've had to rent another office to accomodate all the extra staff. So generally I would say that the Perth economy is still pretty healthy but that, as is so often the case, that's not much consolation if your jobs in a sector that is struggling. As far as teaching goes I'd be pretty confident that maths and science teachers would be able to pick up work but you may have to jump through a couple of bureaucratic hoops to get your first job. Once you get your foot in the door somewhere you'll be fine. Just make sure you allow for the possibility of that not happening instantly as the first job is always the trickiest one to get. There's a large cohort of kids going through primary school right now (a result of the baby bonus which was an Australian government incentive to encourage people to have kids a few years back) which will hit high schools very soon so pure demographics will dictate that more high school teachers will be needed soon. My wife is a primary school teacher and hasn't been out of work since she did her Australian teaching orientation (bureaucratic hoop) ten years ago. I have heard tales of other primary teachers struggling and surviving on relief work though but generally the works there. As far as high school goes we have a friend from Blighty who taught geology and environmental science in high school (which is a bit niche) and she seemed to get work really easily. On the whole I would say your chances of getting work are pretty good but of course that's no guarantee. Hope that helps and look forward to possibly meeting up somewhere in Mosman Park (possibly a boozer) when you get over. Cheers Baggy
  27. 1 like
    Just realised I've spoken to you before, on another post a few months back. It's weird to think a few months back I was thinking are we ever going to get there, and now here we are! I'm not driving at the moment. I only passed one week before leaving the uk,so just trying to sort out my driving license over here at the moment. Unfortunately I didn't get my full uk license before I left as it was going to take the DVLA 3 weeks. They require lots of i.d here, so I'm having to wait for it all to arrive. At the moment I'm being chauffeured around by the other half, though I'm sure he prefers it this way 😂 As soon as I'm sorted, I'm sure I'll be able to make it to Fremantle for a coffee. My other half is a Civil Engineer/QS so he's just started looking for work. Hopefully he will get lucky sooner rather than later, as things seem expensive here when your constantly converting everything back into Uk £. Xx
  28. 1 like
    Hello to both of you. 😊 A meet up would be great. We haven't got jobs as yet, so just enjoying mooching around, exploring the place before the normal routine sets in. @qprdan123 our daughter is looking at comet bay college or Mandurah Baptist. Can't get to look around the school until the 1st August as that's when they are doing their tour. Think she already has her heart set on Comet Bay though. My daughter will kill me for saying she's 14 when she is infact 15! I'm losing track of time obviously 😂 @Jen78 Think your about 45 mins away from me. I see you're not too far from Fremantle. We popped up there last week, quite liking the brewery place on the front. Can't wait for the weather to warm up so we can go and enjoy the beaches a bit more. I am 36, my partners 40. What about yourselves? Xx
  29. 1 like
    I would second Camilla. Wise to use an agent I think with the elderly lady being deported to the UK in the news recently. I'm guessing that you've done all the checks e.g. balance of family etc.,
  30. 1 like
    Thanks Rossmoyne and verystormy for your encouragement! It is nice to know you guys value the work of a RMA! I think I will just be bringing the g and t time forward an hour or so at the end of the day!!!!
  31. 1 like
    Keep smiling. I know it's hard.
  32. 1 like
    We move to Secret Harbour in the second week of August, will have to catch-up for a coffee, we are sending our 16 year old to Comet Bay College and our 5 year old to secret Harbour primary...
  33. 1 like
    Absolutely. from reading some of the responses i didn't think my post sounded like i was asking for advice of wether to travel or not i was just wondering if anyone else had such bad luck. Was beginning to see the funny side of it by the time i posted lol
  34. 1 like
    Well done Harry for being a responsible parent... there are many who would have just travelled anyway! Do hope your little one is recovering well.
  35. 1 like
  36. 1 like
    Welcome to Perth! Yes, heaviest rain I've ever experienced but I'd take this kind of winter every year no problem! It'll soon be spring though and we're really looking forward to that. Your own belongings will really help you settle in. Its like Christmas again! We are in Willetton so a bit further north and also have a 14 year old daughter. She settled into school and made friends really quickly, hope its the same for your daughter. I'm not working at the moment so can meet up when you're a bit more settled if you like? I know it will all feel surreal for a while, it still does for us, only been 6 months, but just go with it and enjoy the ride! Jen x
  37. 1 like
    Hi and welcome. First thing is that employer sponsored visas are not the best option by any stretch. In fact i recomend against it completely for families. By far the best option are skilled permanent visas with the gold standard being a 189 independent visa. The good news is that your occupation of joiner is on the list available for a 189 - medium and long term list. The fist thing to do is go through the initial criteria and lots of reading of border.gov.au The initial criteria to check are age, health and if any of the family have any health issues and then points. You need to calculate how many points you qualify for and 60 is a minimum. Many people at this point find they are short of points and the most common way of topping them up is by claiming points for English. This would mean taking a test to prove it such as ilets. Once you are satisfied you tick all the boxes, you need to obtain a positive skills assessment. This will be a mix of submitting a lot of documents to the assessing authority for your occupation to prove experience and qualifications. Then possibly taking practical and theory tests. Pat the same time, taking an English exam if you need the points. Once all that is completed, you can lodge an expression of interest (eoi) and wait to be invited to apply. You then apply and wait to be asked for medicals and police checks, which are submitted and then wait for grant of visas.
  38. 1 like
    Hi and welcome to the forum. The rules regarding visa's and sponsorship have recently changed so someone more knowledgeable would be able to provide answers, however, the 457 visa (if that's what you're thinking of) is only a temporary visa and has had recent changes with some occupations not being able to progress to PR. Have you checked if Joiner is still on the skills lists? If it is, I would consider looking at the a visa which provides PR which would mean you having a skills assessment first.
  39. 1 like
    We cancelled our flights the same day as the spots arrived and have already been given a letter from GP which has been forwarded to our travel insurance company here so no issues with that. We shall wait until the spots are all crusted before we even look at rebooking the flights. Luckily we were staying with family on arrival and i hadn't booked a hire car yet anyway so financially we are pretty much ok. And no I wouldn't have considered boarding a flight with her. 24hrs in a plane is bad enough with children never mind an ill one!
  40. 1 like
    Fantastic news - congratulations to you both
  41. 1 like
    Oh my you poor people..... feeling your stress, but it is best for your daughter to be healthy before you make the flight. Hope your travel insurance came to the party... oh and that daughter gets well quickly. My son had Chicken Pox in his 20's... had all the vacs available as a youngster... was around everyone who had it when he was little, but never got it. But boy was he a sick young man when he did get it.... hospitalised for days... home for 3 weeks before he was well enough to go back to work.... Our whole house was a quarantine centre at one point. We found out afterwards that he got it from a child on a plane when he was flying from Karratha to Perth for Christmas.... child had been diagnosed the day before but parents were desparate to travel so told no-one... Dept of Health involved and 2 other people on that plane were infected. Well done for being up front, and whatever it cost you financially, you made the right decision for your daughter and everyone else she would have come in contact with. And well I can just imagine how awful that flight would have been for you as parents with a sick child.... bad enough to put them through a long haul flight without any illness...... Hope she is OK now.
  42. 1 like
    Good old DIBP.... so many changes happening there I think they are drowning in new information and regulations..... surely they should have their website up to date though?
  43. 1 like
    It's a while ago but an airline refused to let me fly with my 4 year old who was recovering from Chickenpox. It's worth making sure before you travel that you have the appropriate medical clearance.
  44. 1 like
    I would imagine it would be that anything submitted from July 1st would require ACWA, if you've already submitted documents prior to that I would have thought it was ok (but by no means an expert).
  45. 1 like
    'Petty Crimes' stealing ornaments from peoples gardens & helping themselves to the contents of your car because you were stupid enough to leave it unlocked and probably had the windows down with valuables on display.
  46. 1 like
    I disagree with this as I think it is now bottoming out. When year 7 went into High School last year, there were a lot of primary teachers without a position and these have mostly been retrained as lower secondary teachers, redeployed into vacant primary positions at other schools, or retired. Remember also that the B Ed course in Australia is 4 years long, so students taking up the call to be teachers in the past few years, are still graduating. In the past couple of years there have been much fewer students studying a BEd, so there will be fewer chasing positions. Also, the demographic of teachers in WA right across the board, but especially in the primary sector, is ageing and many are close to retirement. Give it a couple of years and it will even out. I comment with confidence as prior to recent retirement I was an HR manager within the Department of Education and had direct responsibility for recruitment of teachers. I do agree that the Dept of Immigration should have removed all teacher categories from the skills list a few years ago, and was very vocal about this within the Dept of Education. As always though, those who have the working knowledge of something are rarely listened to. Friends still working in this arena in DoE are in total agreement with my views.
  47. 1 like
    I cant recall anyone posting about gambling on the forum in all the years I have been a member and a moderator. In fact WA is so regulated on gambling, anyone who was very interested in it would be better looking at other parts of Australia
  48. 1 like
    Have you checked to see if you qualify for a visa to work in Australia?
  49. 1 like
    I don't think you need to apologise for being a realist - your post isn't negative or coming across that you're trying to put people off.
  50. 1 like
    AIMS Exam These are the books that I studied for the exam. ***Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach by Patsy Jarreau (it is summarized but I find lacking in Blood bank and Clinical chem) For Blood bank transfusion and Clinical chemistry, I supplemented it with: *** Success! Clinical Laboratory science by Ciulla ***Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory science by Hubbard I did not read the whole Ciulla and Hubbard book, just the sections on Clinical chemistry and Blood transfusion. As for the histology part, I just searched the internet about the basics on histology and what you need to know as a med lab scientist. 1. Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach - Patsy Jarreau (Author)http://www.amazon.com/Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Review-Approach/dp/0967043425/ref=pd_sim_b_2 2. Quick Review Cards for Clinical Laboratory Science Examinations [Cards] Valerie Dietz Polansky MEd MLS (ASCP)http://www.amazon.com/Review-Clinical-Laboratory-Science-Examinations/dp/0803604599/ref=pd_sim_b_2 The few that I can remember. - Calculate the anion gap (formula not given) - what is dry chemistry? - define esbl, mdr-tb, mrsa - what to do when automated analyzer gives platelet result of 30? - stain used to demonstrate following; mucin; fungi; elastin fibres Chem External QC and purpose Acromegaly Tests for coeliac disease Anion gap calculation Causes of increased potassium preanalytical Causes of hypercalcemia Steps or studies taken before a new assay is introduced in the lab - 4 freaking points Interpretation of swear electrolytes Hema Types of hemolytic anemia Interpretation of indices Schillings test Retticulocyte ct and purpose Erroneous CBC result from analyzer Conditions seen with burr cells stomatocyte elliptocyte target cells Micro Dermatophytes Hemolysis of bacteria Color of colony in different media Causative agents of diseases Betalactamase meaning and purpose inbacterioa Mic Temperature requirements of bacteria Histopath Types of connective tissues and epithelial tissues Stain for myelin melanin iron glycogen Pas stains Other cytological stain Fixatives Giemsa stain coomponents Bb Storage temp of red cells Selection of donor blood for cross matching - given yung census ng blood na pagpipilian Factors affecting at ab reaction Labeling of sample for crossmatch Explain kung piano magkakaroon ng offspring na o hung parents na a Computer crossmatch 1. major & minor physiological variations in chemistry 2. tubes for glucose including timings 3. myeloproliferative diseases 4. Anti a1 vs Anti A2 5. Vit B12 def vs others 6. o-cresolphthalein-chem 7. bromcresyl green-chem 8. AGAP formula 9. G6PD 10. crossmatching(donors) 11.meaning of crossmatch and keep 12. fixatives 13. synthetic dyes 14. cell lines the esophagus 15. fixatives for cervical smears 16. sensitivity and specificity 17. stains for M tb 18. Gram stain of G. vaginalis 19. optochin, bacitracin, novobiocin 20. universal recipient 21. sample for xmatching labelling 22. sweat chloride 23. d dimer 24. morphological abnormalities w ass dses 25. microorganisms growth colors in the plates Quote: [TABLE=width: 100%] [TR] [TD=class: alt2]Originally Posted by mmsmallick Thank you for your reply, My bachelor in Microbiology and Maters in Biomedical Laboratory sceinces from UK. I would appreciate if you could mention some names of books that are good for preperation for exam! What about Medical laboratory Sceince review by Robert R. Harr? Muddas [/TD] [/TR] [/TABLE] REVIEW **Harr, R.R. (2006). Clinical Laboratory Science Review (3rd ed.). Philadelphia: F.A. Davis. ISBN: 978-0803613737 **Hubbard, J.D. (2009). A Concise Review of Clinical Laboratory Science (2nd ed.). Lippincott Williams & Wilkins. ISBN: 978-0781782029 **Jarreau, P. (2011). Clinical Laboratory Science Review: A Bottom Line Approach. (4th ed.) Louisiana State University Health Sciences Center (LSUHSC) Foundation.ISBN: 978-096704342510 **McPherson, R.A., & Pincus, M.R. (Eds.). (2011). Henry=s Clinical Diagnosis and Management by Laboratory Methods (22nd ed.). Philadelphia: Saunders Elsevier. ISBN: 978-1437709742 ** Wu, A. (2006). Tietz Clinical Guide Mostly Harr book and my review notes from School I feel your pain! It is so frustrating knowing you have the relevant qualifications and experience but it is not good enough. Firstly, the exam is not as bad as you think but it is tough. With regards to Biochem, in the exam there was emphasis on practical aspects. What tubes for glucose aside from the obvious fluoride and certain circumstances e.g serum unseparated, if a specimen was left uncentrifuged what would you not test and why, anion gap question came up, biological variation, difference between wet and dry chemistry. Micro learn strains and identification tests and types of disc diffusion. Blood transfusion was complicated. They gave a question about what blood you would give a particular blood type which was worth a few marks. Haem learn the different red cells and when they arise. There was one question which asked about 5 different cells. Cyto and Histo was actually ok and doesn't differ much from the questions. Know the stains which seems impossible, colours and the process involved in both, different fixatives etc. I found the IBMS books of great help and writing down brief notes on cards which i could look at on train journeys etc or quiet periods in work. It is very frustrating as the topics are so wide and varied. I studied so much, felt my life was non existant and alot doesn't come up but you don't know what will come up. I work in Genetics and worked in Biochem over 5 years ago and felt it was Biochem that let me down. I should be getting my results in the next few weeks and don't think i've done well. My friend resat it with me so I will ask her for some advise too. Regards Kirsty I am new to this forum. Thanks for sharing your experience, it is very helpful. I hope to sit the exam in September and feel I have limited time to prepare- less than three months. You mentioned using IBMS books. Are they sufficient and which ones did you find very useful. I am a Biomedical Scientist, with Haematology and Clinical Chemistry background. Does that mean I don"t have to buy the recommended books? Please help specific strategies/ tips on how you are able to pull together the different courses together.. Your help and support will be very much appreciated.
This leaderboard is set to Perth/GMT+08:00