Jump to content


  • Content count

  • Joined

  • Last visited

Community Reputation

10 Neutral

About robbiminator

  • Rank
    Junior Member
  1. robbiminator

    class 1 hgv driver

    He WILL have to retake his test along with having to do a DG licence.
  2. robbiminator

    Airport transfers

    http://www.ontimechauffeurs.com.au/contact.html We've used these before.
  3. robbiminator

    Bricklayer thinking of moving to oz

    It doesn't read which state they're wanted in. I believe over east the construction boom is still in full effect.
  4. robbiminator

    class 1 hgv driver

    Hmm, if one doesn't make AU$100k where I work one is a slacker.
  5. robbiminator

    class 1 hgv driver

    You don't know many truckies, do you?
  6. robbiminator

    Bricklayer thinking of moving to oz

    New residential home starts are expected to drop from 31,000 last financial year to 22,000 this FY, 20,000 next and possibly as low as 18,000 the year after.
  7. robbiminator

    would you book flights now?

    QANTAS used to do special deals for people emigrating to Aus, ie reduced fare and increased luggage allowance. However, that was eight years ago...
  8. robbiminator

    Cars.......Pits??..Rego?? etc

    You can get a 48 permit from the Dept of Transport purely for the purpose of taking a vehicle to the pits. If the vehicle passes the inspection the rego will be sorted at the garage.
  9. Blu ray player will work, no worries. We only have digital free to air TV now, so not sure if the TV would work. Foxtel (Sky) should be ok, though.
  10. We are with TPG. On their ADSL2+ bundle you get free local and national calls plus free calls to mobile and landlines to select countries including the UK.
  11. robbiminator

    class 1 hgv driver

    We came over in 2008, so some things may have changed. Car and motorcycle licence are simply ported over. To obtain the Class I equivalent of HC (heavy combination) I had to pass a ten question theory test, get an HR (heavy rigid) learners permit and find a truck driving school. I would recommend an "unrestricted" licence which requires the ability to work an 18-speed twin splitter box using double de-clutching. Most manufacturers are moving to AMT's, but in long haul with American rigs the Road Ranger box still reigns supreme. Officially there is a twelve months period between obtaining an HR licence and stepping up to HC or even MC (road trains). However, since I'd had held my Class I since 1989 the licensing staff waived it and progressed straight onto the HC licence. I have also heard that some people were able to go straight for their HC licence, it seems to be up to the discretion of the licensing staff. In 2008 an HR lesson was AU$80 and an HC lesson AU$90, HC lessons had to betaken in two hour blocks. My MC assessment in 2012 was AU$850. Remember, ALL work related expenses are tax deductible. For general freight a fork lift licence would be a good addition since there can be a lot of self loading/un-loading, especially in more rural areas. Dangerous goods licence is a two day course for approx AU$400. You'll most likely will need at least basic fatigue management training, free here: http://fatigue.safetyline.wa.gov.au/ Hours can be MUCH longer than in the EU. Legally you only require a 20 min break every five hours and can drive up to 17 hrs in one day. However, your driving hours should average out at 14 max. I cart bricks in and around Perth doing an eleven hour day on average with only the odd Saturday or over night thrown in and I earned more than 90 % of Australians.
  12. robbiminator

    Bricklayer thinking of moving to oz

    I deliver bricks, pavers etc for one of the Big Three and we've been told to get ready for a lean eighteen months to two years. Residential building especially is slowing down with the number of new home starts expected to be down by a third compared to last year. However, the govt still expects an additional 1 million + people to move to Perth by 2050. That's only 35 years away and means an extra 30,000 or so people per year all of whom will have to live somewhere. There are also new suburbs popping up all over Perth. I don't have a crystal ball, but right now is probably not the best time to come over unless you have work lined up. However, if you're only starting the immigration process now things "should" be better in a couple of years' time.
  13. robbiminator

    class 1 hgv driver

    Long time lurker, first time poster. We came out in 2008 and I've been trucking ever since. Your car and motor bike licences will just be swapped over. Class I equivalent is called HC (heavy combination). Even though I had held my Class One since 1989 I couldn't just go for the HC licence. I had to pass a short theory test to obtain a provisional HR (heavy rigid) licence. I would strongly recommend an "unrestricted" licence, which means you have to know how to work an eighteen speed, twin splitter with double de-clutching. A lot of the big fleets are moving to AMT's, however for long haul and American based rigs the Road Ranger box still reigns supreme. Once you've passed your HR licence, you "officially" have to wait twelve months before you can step up to the HC or MC (road train) licences. However, since I'd had my C One since 1989 the licensing office waived this period. I have also heard of people being able to go straight for HC licences. I seems to depend on the discretion of the staff at the licensing office. In 2008 a one hour lesson on an HR truck was AU$40, HC AU$45, but had to be taken as two hour blocks. An MC assessment in 2012 cost me AU$ 900 for half a day, including theory. Dangerous Goods licence required to cart fuel takes two days, approx AU$400. For general freight a fork lift licence will be an advantage since there is a lot of self loading/un-loading, especially in more rural areas. You'll probably also need a fatigue management cert, the most basic one is free and can be found here: http://fatigue.safetyline.wa.gov.au/ Remember, ALL work related expenses are tax deductible. Working hours can be a lot longer than in the UK. You can drive up to 17 hours per day! I've done a couple of 15 + hour days: ie six deliveries from Perth to Kalgoorlie over 1100 + kms, but paid nearly AU$900 for the day! However, working hours are supposed to average out at a max of 14 hrs per day. To get your foot in the door I'd suggest TOLL through seek.com.au. They do most of the super market deliveries. I found it quite hard to even get an interview initially since a lot of employers ask for Perth Metro experience, but one will just have to persevere. As for it being poorly paid: I work an approx 11 hour day carting bricks around Perth with only the occasional Saturday thrown in and have NO complaints.