Jump to content

Search the Community

Showing results for tags 'teaching'.

More search options

  • Search By Tags

    Type tags separated by commas.
  • Search By Author

Content Type


  • Moving to Perth
    • Visas and Migration
    • Shipping
    • Money Transfers: Ask Moneycorp
  • General Chat
    • Welcome
    • News & Chat
    • Recreation & Socialising
  • Life in Perth
    • Health Care
    • Money & Finance
    • Jobs, Careers, Vacancies
    • Education
    • Suburbs, Renting & Real Estate
    • Household
    • Kids Down Under
    • Travel & Flights
    • Food and Drink
    • For Sale / Wanted

Find results in...

Find results that contain...

Date Created

  • Start


Last Updated

  • Start


Filter by number of...


  • Start



Found 9 results

  1. Hello! Just joined the group and looking forward to sharing and finding out some tips for moving to Perth. We are currently right at the start of the process to move to Perth. I am a qualified Sen Teacher with 5 years experience, however i only possess a QTS qualifaction, which I know is not transferable. My teacher traning was done through the schools direct route (New GTP). I am looking to top this upto a PGCE however through the University of Northampton. Has anybody had any experience of this of knowledge whether this is accepted? The course will finish next June, so we are then quite keen to move. Is this an achievable goal? Thinking of gaining a working visa initially, and then transfer it to a permanent Visa. This is something we have debated for a few years however never felt it was the right time. So any tips or advice would be greatly appreciated! Would you advise using an agent to support the process? I have two young boys (3,1) so need to make sure we get it right. HUGE thanks in advance for any help given!!! It reallynis appreciated!!
  2. Hi everybody Apologies if this topic has already been covered and answered! I have lived in Perth for 4 years and after 4 years of working in senior management, saving for my wedding and building a house I am now in the process of obtaining my non-practicing teaching registration. I had gathered and submitted everything that they needed to process the application 3 weeks ago, bar, a police clearance less than 12 months old from the UK (this I have applied for). Or so I thought… I did a 3 year BA (Hons) which I graduated from in 2007 and then in 2010 (after a period of working and saving to do the course) I began my Post Graduate Diploma in Education at The University of Bolton which I completed in July 2011. My course only provided me with 30 days SUPERVISED TEACHING (as in I was only observed in the classroom by my mentor, 30 times and it was at the end of the course signed off on and the rest of the teaching practice (7 months, 4 days per week, full-time teaching) was carried out non-supervised and therefore I can only evidence 30 days which is UNDER the minimum requirement of 45 days in Australia. I joined New Directions Education Agency in summer 2011 and stayed with them until I left the UK to move to Perth in Oct 2013. I have obtained a reference from New Directions Education Agency (my employer) and it lists my schools of which I worked within, the exact dates to and from on a letter headed document (as requested) and this is now deemed not enough evidence to support my application despite it saying I worked for them as a relief teacher and the dates. They now want me to contact every secondary school I worked for (as far back as 2011 and in some cases some schools I worked in for a little as a day) and ask them to provide evidence of my work and evidence of the SUBJECTS I taught in the school itself. Once again, let my reiterate that I have got evidence of the schools and the exact dates I worked for them from my employer. This evidence taken me 4 weeks to obtain from New Directions due to me leaving them 4 years ago and the work was carried out in some cases nearly 6 years ago. I have contacted every school I have worked for as recommended by the TRBWA in the hope that they have some sort of record but I am not holding out for any responses and if they do respond I am most certainly not holding out for any record of my subjects I taught as a relief teacher. I am wondering firstly… Are these types of records from schools, something schools keep? Does the evidence from the employer (teaching agency) seem sufficient as it lists the schools themselves and the dates? Is there perhaps any other method of obtaining information? Secondly has anybody else found themselves in a similar/ or the same issue? I am finding this process difficult to conquer as I can’t/finding it difficult to evidence what they need further to support what I have already evidenced. Any help/guidance/clarity of shared experiences would be greatly appreciated…as will words of sympathy! Thank you Chelsea…:o)
  3. Hi all, I'm a Humanities teacher originally from the UK, an Australian permanent resident living in Sydney wanting to move to Perth or surrounding area. I've been teaching in two academically selective, state schools in Sydney over the past 3 years and have 2 years experience teaching in the UK. I love Sydney, however the price of property is just ridiculous! My OH and I are on the verge of having a deposit and starting a family, and have come to the conclusion that we want a garden and beach lifestyle, this is impossible in Sydney unless you have $1,500,000. Anyway, I lived in Perth about 8 years ago, I have family and friends there and feel this is the place to start my family. I'm in the process of registering to teach with the WA education department. I know Humanities jobs are hard to come by, especially by merit selection as there are tonnes of applicants for each position. I would love to stay in the public system, however I am open to going into the private sector if it enables me to move to Perth. Has anyone transferred from NSW to WA? Or have heard of anyone who has secured a job in WA whilst working in NSW? I'm not under any illusions, I know this will be difficult to achieve but it's worth a try! Thanks in advance
  4. Danielle Slattery

    School calendars

    Hi, I'm hoping to move to WA next July /September time and have just started to look through jobs that are advertised. I am a primary school teacher that has specialised in special needs and disabilities. I am am just wondering if anyone can inform me of how the school year runs I.e. In England the school year starts September until July with August as the summer holidays? Is this the same there or is it different due to different seasons etc? Thank you Danielle
  5. Hi, we have just started the process of emigrating to Australia and are hoping to settle in a suburb around Perth. I am a special needs school teacher, I love my job and was wondering if there are any special needs school in Western Australia? And if there are, where are they and how do I find them. Also, is there any websites to look on to find and look through the jobs available? Both teaching and all others. Thank you :smile2:
  6. Hi all! I have currently been teaching for 5 years in the UK and moving to Perth next September (Fingers crossed!!) I currently teach maths to pupils aged 11-16. I know schools in Oz go up to Year 12 which is currently our A-level. However I have no experience of teaching 16-18 and I am not sure I would feel confident teaching with out some retraining. Is it possible to apply / secure a post just teaching Year 7-10? Or am I really reducing my chances by not having this experience? Any advice on this please or general advice on teaching in WA would be massively appreciated. Kirsty
  7. Hi all, I am new to this forum. Myself and my partner and 2 year old daughter have just started the process of applying for our visas to hopefully come out in September 2016. I currently teach Maths to GCSE level. Does anybody know what the need is for maths teachers currently in Perth? Is it possible to get a maths teachings job teaching to Year 10 only? Any advice on teaching in Perth would be greatly appreciated! Many thanks. Kirsty
  8. Morning all, Have any Secondary School teachers had any success in securing work prior to arrival in WA? The 190 VISA means I would basically be leaving a secure job in the UK with potentially no employment upon arrival in Australia. (although reading the posts on here it looks as though relief/supply work would be available) I wondered how many teachers on here managed to secure employment sponsorship for their visa prior to arrival and have any information / advice as to how they went about it? Any help would be very much appreciated! Thanks in advance, Ryan
  9. Hello I am new to this website so apologies if I have posted this in the wrong place. I am just finishing my PGCE (secondary) in ICT and am looking to work as a teacher in a British international school in Abu Dhabi. After this I plan to emigrate to Western Australia to teach without doing my UK NQT year. Does anyone know if I need to complete my UK NQT year to apply for a visa or will my experience teaching in a British international school suffice? Thank you in advance for your help. Kind regards. Chris