457 spouse rights??

Guest robbibobbi

Guest robbibobbi

Hi I did a search but couldn't find the answer I'm looking for so sorry if it's being repeated.

My wife has had some very rough offers of work as a midwife position in Perth and been told to apply for a 457 visa (there are lots of other bits she's already had to do prior to this). This was after we went to a migration convention in London. In London we were told there that, she'll be the one under all the restrictions and I'll be fine to work wherever I wish. Since looking into it all more, I've read things about spouse visa's (we were told that the kids and I will be on my wife's visa?) and working restrictions for the spouse having to stay and work in and under the same working conditions? and plenty of information about medical insurances. So what I'd like to know, and I'm sure there is someone nice out there who can help, is....

1) Do the kids and I need separate visas?

2) Can i work when I get there?

3) Will I be free to work wherever i like?

4) Will we all need medical insurance (I thought Oz had an NHS)?

I think that's about it but there may be more questions once my wife reads it lol

Thanks in advance for your help.

Rob

Hi Rob

I'm no expert, but have recently obtained my 457. This is how i understand it.

The primary applicant, your wife, will need to stay in the job/company who sponsered her for the 4 years. Unless she moves, then she will need to be sponsered again by another company, with a maximum of 1 monthe between jobs.

You and the kids will get a 457 visa also, allowing you and the kids to work where you want ( lots of mines for the kids.... just kidding).

You will all need medical insurance before you they will grant your visa ( OZ gov will ask for a letter off insurers), however i am led to believe i can cancel this on my arrival and register to medicare (OZ NHS) as they have some kind of reciprocal agreement with UK NHS. Not sure how true this is as i dont fly out till August. I will let you know how i get on with that. It costs $220 per month for family of 4, healthy (touch wood) people, approx, but shop around.

Like i said, i'm no expert, just a little bit further down the road in the process than you.

Hope this helps, though i am now waiting to be shot down by the 'experts'!

Regards

Tony

Guest robbibobbi

Thanks both of you (but obviously a bit more thanks to Tony lol)

I like the idea of sending the kids down the mines to work, mean i could take time out to learn to surf lol.

Good luck with the move in August....hope all goes well. you must be sooooo excited, we're are just at the beginning of our journey and are mega excited!

1. Yes you all will have individual visas, but will be secondary applicants on the 457.

2.yes

3. Yes

4. A 457 visa has a 8501 condition which is you must have adequate health cover. Being registered to Medicare under the reciprocal healthcare will satisfy the 8501 condition. But you can't register with Medicare until you get to Australia so to get the visa granted you will need some sort of health care cover as in travel insurance (go walkabout) private health care such as (iman).

You don't need to stay on 457 for 4 years, as you can apply for PR at anytime. If you lose or leave your job you have 28 days to find new sponsor or leave Australia.

1. Yes you all will have individual visas, but will be secondary applicants on the 457.

2.yes

3. Yes

4. A 457 visa has a 8501 condition which is you must have adequate health cover. Being registered to Medicare under the reciprocal healthcare will satisfy the 8501 condition. But you can't register with Medicare until you get to Australia so to get the visa granted you will need some sort of health care cover as in travel insurance (go walkabout) private health care such as (iman).

You don't need to stay on 457 for 4 years, as you can apply for PR at anytime. If you lose or leave your job you have 28 days to find new sponsor or leave Australia.

My husband is on a 4 year 457 visa and we can not apply for PR until we have been here for 18 months so I would not really on that info.

Hi Rob

I'm no expert, but have recently obtained my 457. This is how i understand it.

The primary applicant, your wife, will need to stay in the job/company who sponsered her for the 4 years. Unless she moves, then she will need to be sponsered again by another company, with a maximum of 1 monthe between jobs.

You and the kids will get a 457 visa also, allowing you and the kids to work where you want ( lots of mines for the kids.... just kidding).

You will all need medical insurance before you they will grant your visa ( OZ gov will ask for a letter off insurers), however i am led to believe i can cancel this on my arrival and register to medicare (OZ NHS) as they have some kind of reciprocal agreement with UK NHS. Not sure how true this is as i dont fly out till August. I will let you know how i get on with that. It costs $220 per month for family of 4, healthy (touch wood) people, approx, but shop around.

Like i said, i'm no expert, just a little bit further down the road in the process than you.

Hope this helps, though i am now waiting to be shot down by the 'experts'!

Regards

Tony

Thanks Plimthing for the info.

My husband is on a 4 year 457 visa and we can not apply for PR until we have been here for 18 months so I would not really on that info.

You can apply for PR at any time through skilled migration or employer sponsorship. It must be be your employer that will not sponsor before 18 months, this is not a DIAC requirement.

Employer sponsorship 186 there is 2 streams direct entry or transitional by working for same employer for 2 years on 457. Direct entry requires skills assessment and 3 years work experience, transitional does not require skills assessment. Or there is 187 that can be applied for at anytime if meet requirements.

All this information is easily obtained on the skill select site, therefore your information regarding 18 month wait is what is wrong, and not reliable.

Edited by DyLeB