Health insurance on 457 & tax time - are we screwed if we do, and screwed if we don't

Guest robin

Guest robin

Hello, can anyone help? My husband and I are on 457 visas. We have reciprocal Medicare cards. Whenever I ask at any of the health insurance providers I'm told I have to take out visitors cover. But it seems to me this does not provide much more that our reciprocal medicare, is ridiculously expensive, is not eligible for the 30% rebate, and does not exempt us from the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

My question to all of the providers is whether I can take out a basic residents policy simply to avoid the MLS. I understand that I would not be able to make a claim on the policy, but we're young and happy with the public system until we decide to go for PR. But no one seems to be able to tell me whether this would work.... Has anyone done this and been through a tax return to see if it could work?

Thanks!

Guest robin

Thanks Elfie, sorry to be a pain but can you explain why it is worth it? I have been into Bupa and I'm not sure why they can't seem to explain this to me themselves, but there you go...

Hello, can anyone help? My husband and I are on 457 visas. We have reciprocal Medicare cards. Whenever I ask at any of the health insurance providers I'm told I have to take out visitors cover. But it seems to me this does not provide much more that our reciprocal medicare, is ridiculously expensive, is not eligible for the 30% rebate, and does not exempt us from the Medicare Levy Surcharge.

My question to all of the providers is whether I can take out a basic residents policy simply to avoid the MLS. I understand that I would not be able to make a claim on the policy, but we're young and happy with the public system until we decide to go for PR. But no one seems to be able to tell me whether this would work.... Has anyone done this and been through a tax return to see if it could work?

Thanks!

I don't think it will do you any good taking it out now, you have to have it for so long in the year to avoid the medicare surcharge else everyone would just take it out the week before they did the tax return and then cancel it again. Maybe for next year.

Depends on how much you're earning and how much the health insurance is , if its equal to the mls then it's better gettin it , got a email from his to upgrade health insurance , this is their figures couple earning 280 k would pay 4k in mls , so 80 bucks a week gets you medical ins for Nowt

Thanks Elfie, sorry to be a pain but can you explain why it is worth it? I have been into Bupa and I'm not sure why they can't seem to explain this to me themselves, but there you go...

Well both my hubby and I wear glasses - which we get a refund on, dental cover also we will use, hubby has to take prescribed medication - which we get prescription charges refunded, I suffer periodically with sciatica and use a chiropractor - which we get a refund, not a 100% but at least 75%. Nothing to do with tax claim etc just basic peace of mind. Some people say on a 457 you do not have to have medical cover but I think you do as it is part of your visa condition also you should have it in place to apply for the 457 ............. Some people cancel it when visa is granted my personal view is thats daft always better to be safe than sorry medical bills are huge so every little helps. But it is an individual choice no one can decide for you what is best.

Well both my hubby and I wear glasses - which we get a refund on, dental cover also we will use, hubby has to take prescribed medication - which we get prescription charges refunded, I suffer periodically with sciatica and use a chiropractor - which we get a refund, not a 100% but at least 75%. Nothing to do with tax claim etc just basic peace of mind. Some people say on a 457 you do not have to have medical cover but I think you do as it is part of your visa condition also you should have it in place to apply for the 457 ............. Some people cancel it when visa is granted my personal view is thats daft always better to be safe than sorry medical bills are huge so every little helps. But it is an individual choice no one can decide for you what is best.

All the extras you are on about specs chiro do t count to the 457 visa as peeps have said the Medicare agreement Satisfies the health insurance for diac , 457s are open to all nationalities , most nationalities do not have the Medicare reciprocal agreement therefore need to have health insurance

Edited by Goat

All the extras you are on about specs chiro do t count to the 457 visa as peeps have said the Medicare agreement Satisfies the health insurance for diac , 457s are open to all nationalities , most nationalities do not have the Medicare reciprocal agreement therefore need to have health insurance

As it maybe but id rather pay $13 than $55 for a chiro session get $300 back every 6 months for prescriptions and 75% back off the cost of my varifocal glasses and jump the que to be seen by a consultant if I ever need to, plus have the option to be treated in a private hospital than a public one. Horses for courses its an individual decision its not written in stone id personally be safe and sure than sad and sorry and lumbered with a huge medical bill. reprociprical agreement or not still gets whacking bill if you need a dentist if you haven't got ins eh? Any way the 457 visa is a joke and should be scrapped just my outlook on it.

You have to remember here, that Medicare is not the same as the NHS. There are lots of things that simply are not covered. I have had a ear problem recently and had to go and see an audiologist. It's not covered for adults, so $300 plus.

A fair bit of surgery isn't covered.

Have an accident and need an ambulance and that can be over $700.

Dental costs are very high.

I have found out about the dental costs for a routine check up an x-ray as new patient and descale and polish was wait for it £295 but I got $165 back so for me health cover is essential, oh yea as stormy says ambulance cover also forgot about that one

Guest robin
I don't think it will do you any good taking it out now, you have to have it for so long in the year to avoid the medicare surcharge else everyone would just take it out the week before they did the tax return and then cancel it again. Maybe for next year.

Yes, thinking about taking it out before Jun 30 for next year, not this year.