Future of LNG (Oil & Gas) sector Jobs...... Plant Operator

Osfarooq

Hello Friends

New to this forum and happy to be a part of such informative community. Really appreciate the time and effort people are putting to help the newbies like me.

Here i am in with the first question.

I have just started the procedure to get my 190 visa with WA state sponsorship. I may get it in next coming year.

I am currently working as an LNG Plant operator with more than 5 years experience in oil & gas sector and looking for jobs in the same sector in western Australia.

If anybody having some idea or someone is related to LNG & Oil&gas sector, please put in your thoughts. Will there be any jobs in the future for Plant operators in Oil & Gas sector? What is the current situation of jobs in western Australia in LNG or Oil & Gas sector.

Thanks in Advance

Omer

Hello Friends. What is the current situation of jobs in western Australia in LNG or Oil & Gas sector. Thanks in Advance Omer

Look here for current jobs www.seek.com.au and that should give you an idea on volume. 1085 in an open search across whole of WA but there looks like a lt of duplication, i.e. the same job being advertised by numerous recruitment companies, and so a bit false total due to that issue. This seems to be a common occurrence across many job sectors here, i.e. not as many jobs as you think and numerous recruitment companies chasing the placement.

Oil & Gas Sector is quite strong here at the moment even with the James Price Point turnaround, Plant operators are in demand not only for oil & gas but also for the mining industry and their mill plants. Try the Chevron Australia page they are active in WA.

http://careers.chevron.com/global_operations/country_operations/australia/default.aspx

Edited by t1bs
added link

Oil & Gas Sector is quite strong here at the moment even with the James Price Point turnaround, Plant operators are in demand not only for oil & gas but also for the mining industry and their mill plants. Try the Chevron Australia page they are active in WA.

http://careers.chevron.com/global_operations/country_operations/australia/default.aspx

Disagree with the comment about the mining industry - there have been huge layoffs recently - two more mines closed this week. 50,000 have been laid off across the industry in the last twelve months

Disagree with the comment about the mining industry - there have been huge layoffs recently - two more mines closed this week. 50,000 have been laid off across the industry in the last twelve months

I was talking about plant operators and there is still a demand for them.

50,000 lost jobs? That is a very high figure. I work in the mining, specifically gold sector and we have been hit hard by the gold price slump. I can state there have not been 50,000 lost jobs. Including contractors the mining industry in Western Australia employs less than 100,000 I think its at the 75,000 to 80,000 mark.

Mining is a boom / bust industry always has been, always will be.

I was talking about plant operators and there is still a demand for them.

50,000 lost jobs? That is a very high figure. I work in the mining, specifically gold sector and we have been hit hard by the gold price slump. I can state there have not been 50,000 lost jobs. Including contractors the mining industry in Western Australia employs less than 100,000 I think its at the 75,000 to 80,000 mark.

Mining is a boom / bust industry always has been, always will be.

I am a bit confused by your post. Checking on the chamberof commerce website in 2011/12 - 97,000 people were employed directly in mining. People employed directly in mining does not take account of NPI, i.e. “non- process infrastructure, i.e. mining related road, rail, construction and engineering projects”, as well as the associated supply, manufacturing, hospitality etc. I don't know the figures, but in Western Australia I would estimate the directly emplyed are the thin end of the wedge. Since September / October 12 there has been huge scale redundancies. In the last 2 weeks RIO laid off 1200 people. I would say 50,000 jobs lost would be easily believable.

With reference to a boom bust cycle, again, I am unclear on your point? WA has never boomed like this, are you saying too bad? That people have been, and continue to be encouraged here from all over the world, and now the rug has been pulled we just say ho hum its ok, boom bust?

First a correction "talking about plant operators and there" I meant to say process operators sometimes referred to as fixed plant operators, process technicians, gold room operators or or gold room technicians.

Secondly I have just checked and yes you are right there are aprox that figure as of Jan 2013 employed directly in WA (including contractors) but that doesn't change my statement that 50,000 job losses have not occurred across the industry, as you originally posted. Process operators fall within directly employed and I know of 5 mining companies looking for process operators currently.

Boom / Bust statement of fact that is how the mining industry works it is cyclical in nature, due to commodity prices and commodity demand and economic conditions. While it has shown growth over the long term due to world population growth and hence commodity demand, it still maintains its cyclical nature due to economic cycles.

I have been through other busts and have received redundancies before and have been one of those kept on when cuts where made, I am currently a contractor so when a mine shuts down I will find my next drilling contract or live on my savings (a contractor who doesn't save isn't a contractor). So I'm quite aware and have been through and ridden these down times and anyone who doesn't think they can cope with that should consider an alternate career. The government, companies, recruiters that sought skilled workers did so to fulfil a need, should they have not recruited on the basis one day things would turn around? Ho Hum not my statement but yes I agree. We're all adults make our own choices and decisions in life and bear the consequences.

I also work in the industry - GM of a site in Africa on a nickel project. Previously i was a member of the management team at some of the largest gold mines in Oz.

50000 is a conservative estimate across Oz including contractors - there were over 1000 roles lost in QLD coal sector last week alone. At Christmas, there were over 3000 contractors lost from BHP and Rio iron ore divisions. It is not clear how many have been lost since, as they have not published it. But, given that BHP have in effect closed exploration - there global exploration budget for the coming financial year is tiny and all of it is based on a small amout of copper exploration in South America. It is safe to say there have been a lot of redundancies.

As a driller, you would know the state of play for companies such as Boart. You would also be aware that several drill companies have gone bust recently.

Yes, there are roles out there - but they are thin on the ground and a lot of people chasing them. For example, it is said that there exploration is suffering a lot, and i certainly know a fair few exploration geologists looking for work at the moment. There are still jobs advertised. The issue is that there are a huge amount of people applying for them. I was recruiting for a geologist in April. We did not advertise, only dealt with one agency and they were able to supply stacks of CV's. Half a dozen were interviewed - all were unemployed.

Still don't see were you get the figure of 50,000 ?

Let me put it this way. Last week, across Oz there were 7000 job losses in mining. The minerals council did not think that was a particularly bad week for job loses based on the last 6 months.

There are currently over 30,000 jobs under threat in NSW alone.

http://www.mining.com/almost-30000-mining-jobs-and-9-5-billion-in-investments-at-risk-in-australia-77156/

While the downturn doesnt surpise me or many others that have been in the industry a while - it is cyclic and it is the nature of the beast. The speed and sharpness of it is surprising everyone.