Tania

visa stamp

has anyone had their visa verification stamp put in their UK passports lately at the Migration Branch in LONDON - just wondering if that place still does the stamps and if so is it still free (website doesn't say much and I'm about to renew a passport for a forthcoming visit)

Hiya, I had exactly the same query so I emailed them as there wasn't much info on the website and I've copied the reply I had by email below. Hope this helps x

Thank you for your enquiry.

I have included a link to our website where label free visa travel is explained.

http://www.immi.gov.au/visas/about-your-visa.htm

Visas are attached to your passport number and are electronic. This system has been in operation for a while and is as safe as your e-ticket for your flight.

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/lhlh/immi_visa_evid.html

If you wish to obtain a visa label you must complete form 1405 and send it with your passport to our London office. The fee for this service is £45. You may like to provide us with a reply paid return envelope. We recommend you send your documents using a tracked postal service such as ‘Special Delivery’ through the Royal Mail. The address for mailed applications is:

Attn: Department of Immigration and Citizenship

Australia House

Strand

London, WC2B 4LA

UNITED KINGDOM

The address for courier deliver applications is:

AUSTRALIAN HIGH COMMISSION,

Migration Branch

Suite 100

43 Bedford Street

WC2E 9HA

PAYMENT METHOD

The Australian High Commission in London can only accept the following payment methods:

Credit Card in Australian Dollars: Mastercard Credit Card, Visa Credit Card, American Express Credit Card, Diners Credit Card, JCB Credit Card.Clients that complete the payment section of the application form arecharged in Australian Dollars (AUD) only. Please note that if paying by credit card in Australian Dollars you may incur banking and currency conversion fees and you accept the risk associated with any currency fluctuations.

Credit and Debit Cards in Pounds Sterling: Maestro Debit Card, Mastercard credit Card, Solo Debit Card or Visa Debit and Credit Card. Clients who prefer to pay in pounds sterling should complete the Payment Mandate form below rather than complete the payment section on an application form.

Bank Cheque in pounds sterling and made payable to the 'Australian High Commission'. Clients whose bank is outside of the UK must ensure they request a bank cheque that can be ‘cleared’ in the UK and paid into a UK bank account. London cannot accept bank cheques in EUROs, Australian Dollars or any currency other than pounds sterling.

When the London office receives your application we check that you have paid by an acceptable method and that you have paid the current applicable charge. If there is a problem with either, an officer will contact you. We are unable to progress your application until payment issues are addressed.

To prevent undue delay, an officer will contact you by telephone or email you wherever possible. Note: London does not accept personal cheques, or company cheques.

Click the link below to access the payment mandate:

http://www.uk.embassy.gov.au/files/lhlh/Payment_Mandate.pdf

ALLOCATION PROCESSING TIMES

The average processing time for this service is 3-5 working days.

COUNTER SERVICE

The counter facility is extremely limited and so is usually reserved for emergencies. If possible, please send your passport for evidencing by post. Please note: -The information you are given by the Europe Service Centre will be based on the information you supply. We recommend that you do not make any irreversible travel arrangements until you have an appropriate visa.

Yours sincerely ,

Ralf

Europe Service Centre

Department of Immigration and Citizenship

www.immi.gov.au

It was free when we did it and a day out in London, it can help a lot with the 100 points of Id you need for everything when you first arrive

We have been using our visa grant letter as id and at has been fine. Not really has to use it very much either. Only for driving license and medicare so far.

Thanks Georgiasmammy - thought so - was free when I last obtained it, but need to renew passport and Australia now charges for it - wasn't clear if UK had also introduced a fee. I know I don't need it but from experience it's more convenient having the stamp in the passport :)

Thanks Georgiasmammy - thought so - was free when I last obtained it, but need to renew passport and Australia now charges for it - wasn't clear if UK had also introduced a fee. I know I don't need it but from experience it's more convenient having the stamp in the passport :)

No probs, yes I know they say you don't need it anymore as it's all gone electronic, but after reading other's members posts on here it can be very handy. Good luck x

Guest guest10912
No probs, yes I know they say you don't need it anymore as it's all gone electronic, but after reading other's members posts on here it can be very handy. Good luck x

Definitely it is GBP45 well spent if that is what it costs. It comes in really handy, for us three times at airports when we have had trouble checking in, the electronic system has failed us and we were very glad to have the sticker, I think it convinced them to look again and try a bit harder!