Anyone building a house here ?

jackboots

Showers this morning, saw two concrete pumps but both in the street behind ours :-((

We spent $10.5k at Pre start including $6k garage extension and $2k glass splash back so very happy.

:biglaugh: OMG We have bricks!!!!! up to window frame at front all door frames in they are super speedy the roof will be on by Friday at this rate lol :wacko:

We are off the mark whoo hoo!

Just read this thread and wow! I'm so impressed and good luck to you all but I'm wondering where on earth we went wrong?? We bought a block in Coogee, 600sqm and we stretched to the end to pay $500k but thought it was worth it. I read so much on self building and it seemed the right way to go but after doing the rounds and hating all the McMansions (which we did not want and could not afford!) we found a great builder, we had a good rapport and we progressed to plans and stuff, it just got worse and worse, in the end for a 3 by 2 with no fancy schmancy stuff we were heading towards $700k for the house alone. We had a massive panic attack and with a bit of smart maneuvering backed out of house and have offloaded the block and gone to plan A. Renovate our 3 by 1 on a 775 Sqm block with amazing views. But again, are we niaive, no fancy work, this is a reno not a rebuild, just upgrading to a 3 by 2, a few extra rooms as in a lovely master, a lovely space for daughter, the essentials etc were getting quoted $300 to $400k to renovate. We are about 1k from Freo, the area is regarded as 'not good' yet we have the best neighbors and everyone on the road is amazing, it has to be up and coming surely!! We're not looking for a profit, this is a 10 year investment in our future home as we are very happy here, but I'm just feeling like we're doing it all wrong, any advice is most welcome!!!

Wow you have stumbled on some real rip off builders.

Trouble is if you spend that much on a block they think you have the same amount for the house.

300k to Reno is mad too, you might as well knock down and rebuild !

Good luck with it ;-)

Thank you! And I think you're absolutely right! When it came to the Reno I outright refused to quote a budget as I said you'll just spend all of it, sadly, the builders I've met, a demolition and rebuild would cost about the same or slightly more, we've decided we love the character of the house and want to preserve it so we've opted to Reno.