Carpenter jobs in the mines?

Hi Shelley

I work in mining and in my experience there is no call for Carpenters in the mining industry. The path you want to go down is to contact construction companies such as Macmahons, VDM, United Group etc as these companies often work in the construction of the mines and do have a need for chippies and other trades. The mining industry is slowing down but there are still big projects waiting to get given the go ahead such as Roy Hill etc. You may also want to get in touch with house builders as there is a hell of a lot of housing projects on the go at the moment

Good Luck

I wouldn't hold my breath. There are very limited roles in operating mines - most have one or two at most. There have been a lot of layoffs recently and mines will always take someone with mine experience over non mine experience. And for good reason. There are some projects in construction. But, they are a lot less than there were. Meaning there are a lot of mine experienced people chasing jobs in them. The ones on site are generally in maintenance and most mines are putting off maintenance at the moment to try and cut costs.

Roy Hill by the way is in a staged approval. Meaning it is on a deliberate go slow of construction.

Hi Shelley

As I did say there is a slow down in mining but I always try to look on the bright side and look to the positive and not the negative as some people do and especially when I give new migrants advice. I myself was told I would never get into mining and if I had taken notice of these people and just given up then I would have never broken into the industry. I wrote off for hundreds of jobs and I mean hundreds. I actually kept a spreadsheet of who replied and how often I contacted companies and after 2 years I gained employment with a construction company who were contracted to a mine site. I phoned mining companies every week until one of them actually called me and said they were willing to give me a go. I now work for one of if not they biggest mining companies in the world. I am on a great salary with annual bonuses, income protection, private medical cover and also shares in the company and I love my job. All I am saying Shelley is even though it may be difficult keep at it and don't give in and don't take any notice of those who say things like " don't hold your breath" as if you didn't have any bottle or tenacity you wouldn't be coming over here in the first place.

I wouldn't hold my breath. There are very limited roles in operating mines - most have one or two at most. There have been a lot of layoffs recently and mines will always take someone with mine experience over non mine experience. And for good reason. There are some projects in construction. But, they are a lot less than there were. Meaning there are a lot of mine experienced people chasing jobs in them. The ones on site are generally in maintenance and most mines are putting off maintenance at the moment to try and cut costs.

Roy Hill by the way is in a staged approval. Meaning it is on a deliberate go slow of construction.

Here I go again re mining - re maintenance

This swing on a gold site that my husband works 2 days of no electric- not in concession - hence no air con to sleep after nights then on first day this happened he had the most wonderful food to go to work a 12 hr night shift "CHIP BUTTIES" how on earth is a man who is used to good food to function on a meal of that! He was lucky he had clean working clothes some of the men had put their clothes in to dry before heading off to sleep to work up with no dry clothes to wear happy days eh. The company that own the mine site is very well known and very rich but at the tightest bunch of "£$% ever. Bloody good electrics guys they need. The guys who work in these conditions earn every penny they get and more even .............. and I am not a money grabbing git .... rant over :wink:

ps sorry to go totally off topic good luck with your search ........

Yep Elfie. This doesn't surprise me. The bigger issue is safety. If have been in the game a fair while as you know and been through downturns. In fact it was the last downturn - GFC that resulted in us moving to Perth. When times are tight, things start to get overlooked or decisions made under pressure to get dirt that would not be made normally. There is a strong correlation between downturns and accidents.

Stormy health and safety is a joke it applies as and when. Hubby tagged a machine not for use a couple weeks ago, when he came back in on days the tag had been taken off and was being used and repair had been over looked. On site where he is - ouch going to get slaughtered for this one sorry ladies - accidents seem to happen mostly with female drivers overturning trucks ........................... resulting in total shut down for a couple hours or so ........... less tons being hauled ..... whips being cracked pressure then being fed down the ranks.............

am now hiding in cupboard for this one :biggrin:

Elfie

I am a female truckie and take your remarks with a pinch of salt as your husband is clearly one of those guys who blame females for everything ( poor you). I must be one of the lucky ones as at my site safety is put above tons in every aspect. We had a truck overturn last week and the only worry on the mine supers mind was the welfare of that particular operator. Thank goodness there was no serious injury and whilst the operator was recovering at home the CEO called him to make sure he was all right and told him to only return to work when he was good and ready. No action was taken aginst the operator and the only concern is making sure this doesn't happen again.

Edited by ali

Elfie

I am a female truckie and take your remarks with a pinch of salt as your husband is clearly one of those guys who blame females for everything ( poor you). I must be one of the lucky ones as at my site safety is put above tons in every aspect. We had a truck overturn last week and the only worry on the mine supers mind was the welfare of that particular operator. Thank goodness there was no serious injury and whilst the operator was recovering at home the CEO called him to make sure he was all right and told him to only return to work when he was good and ready. No action was taken aginst the operator and the only concern is making sure this doesn't happen again.

Hi Glen

Am glad you dont take my comment too seriously. Actually my hubby is fairly open minded regarding females working onsite he is not a woman hater by no means they have guts to work there and dont pity me please I am not a "poor me" I cannot speak for all sites I can only relay what my hubby says on the site he works on which by the way is terrible. Maybe it was just one of those things that happen and unfortunately it was the female drivers. I am also thick skinned and the term hiding in cupboard was not to be taken seriously. No I admit I do not work on a mine site and have no wish to either in the conditions people have to endure. Folks on site earn the money and am only too happy to "stick up for site workers". I wont stay in the cupboard and will relay experiences on site from hubby's end the good an bad because in turn it reflects on my life also. My post was not meant to be insulting to you or any other female site worker good on you for working there and that is not meant to be condoning either.

Edited by ali
edited quote

I have not experienced issues with safety been more prevalent between male or female. The safety culture in most sites I consider poor. Lots of talk and things, but actually surprisingly little action. In these current times I have to say I would be reluctant to work underground again. I was in an underground mine when the GFC hit and things got so bad the geology and geotech managers quit as it was clear risks were getting to the point that a serious accident was inevitable.

Have worked on a number of sites where they talk the talk safety. But only as long as it doesn't effect production. One site was a classic. The geology team and geotech team warned the mine management of a dangerous situation developing with one side of the mine. To do anything would be expensive and affect production. Nothing was done. A few weeks later a massive slip of the pit occured. By sheer fluke there was no one in the pit. If it had slipped 10 mins later there would have been a range of fatalities. The incident investigation was a whitewash.

Yes totally agree stormy they talk the talk but no action. Its all about getting the stuff out of ground if machines are not working pressure put on drivers to haul more tons hence leading to accidents pressure filters down via the ranks ending with maintenance staff coping the load. But the saying goes a tradesman is only as good as his tools .... if parts are not ordered to repair bla bla. You met my hubby and I think you would say he is fair kind of guy and would not blame one sex more than the other.