Education and 457 visa

mummytummy

Don't know if this has been asked already but can anyone shed light on this please as I read it on a facebook page...

:confused:State budget today - From January next year any families on a 457 visa are going to have to pay $4000 a year per child per year to attend state schools

Many thanks :notworthy:

• Replies 135
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think there are many states in Australia that don't charge. Before I chose my state I was advised to keep in mind education costs but WA was one of the ones that didn't charge. I chose pr in the end and I only have one child to consider. Feel really sorry for families with more children.

Debs

To be honest I don't see anything wrong with it!

Neither do I. I agree with it in principle but I think it should apply to visa's awarded after the introduction, not necessarily those already contracted as it doesn't afford everyone the opportunity to renegotiate their position.

If there were a phased introduction, means testing, a grace period or opportunities to offset in other ways then I think it would be farer. I haven't read enough about it to understand how it is going to work and I'm not sure PerthNow or Nine is a reliable source of information.

So many on 457 come over for a few years to make the big money, send it home and take the kids home after 4 free years schooling

But not all. The skills deficit and the SOL generated as a result does not simply apply to those with a potential for high earnings. There are many expats who collectively make a significant contribution to the WA economy but as individuals earn well below those in the resources sector.

just the same as the polish do in the UK and look at the state its in!

Please tell me you are not suggesting the socio-economic difficulties of the UK are as a result of the Polish migrant workforce? I sincerely hope this is a joke.

I agree it should be implemented for new migrants. If its phased in then new migrants will be prepared for it. Migrants who have already settled should be allowed to continue with the arrangements that they have. It's not fair to throw a $4000 annual bill per child to families who have no choice.

Debs

I wouldn't be surprised if the private schools increased their fees especially if they charge less than $4000. New migrants are going to be looking at all schools if they have to pay not just public ones.

Debs

I agree, I think it'll be an opportunity for private schools to increase revenue. I'm not sure they'll hike it up proportionally but I wouldn't be surprised if they begin to include fees applicable to 457 holders.

whats so wrong in coming here and making money and sending it home - aint ashamed to say thats what we are doing. its life if anyone could go any where legally for a couple of years and make money then they would ! plus we havent got kids to drain the education/health system. we pay taxes - more than most - same as everyone else plus extortionate health insurance. so id say we contribute more and take less out of public services

Guest guest9824
I wonder if the fees would be on top of any other school fees if private - or if private schools would just charge their normal fee?

Alot of private schools ask for a 'bond' type payment so it might be that you pay on top of the annual fee an amount of money like a bond to cover them for any eventuality ie. if the visa is a temporary visa and could potentially end short term, then the school who offers you a place don't loose out if you have to leave unexpectedly. It's understandable with state schools too as they are giving up places to people who potentially might not see two years out at that school. Just makes the visa even less desirable.

Edited by guest9824

whats so wrong in coming here and making money and sending it home - aint ashamed to say thats what we are doing. its life if anyone could go any where legally for a couple of years and make money then they would ! plus we havent got kids to drain the education/health system. we pay taxes - more than most - same as everyone else plus extortionate health insurance. so id say we contribute more and take less out of public services

Nothing at all as it happens in all boom cities / areas across the world where workers, who are prepared to sacrifice life at home in order to chase the dosh, take that lifestyle choice. Good luck to them all. However this issue is not about one or two cases on either side of the issue is it? And of course in many cases they will be like yours. It is more about the Aussie economy on a downward trend and someone having to make some hard decisions in relation to specific visas. I think most people who regularly visit this site, and folk living in WA, saw big changes coming with the 457's.

If people still have their heart set on the Aussie dream, and using a 457 as a stepping stone to PR or as a vehicle of making short term money, then this change is only another step that they have to overcome in making it happen. Nobody said life was easy or fair. This just adds another financial dimenesion to the equation. It could be that many can afford it. Just because a few cannot does not rule out the fact that a few more can. I suspect it means that employers will need to re-adjust their thinking in terms of sourcing labour shortages. It could be a political statement to the people of Australia saying that we will look after our own. Bear in mind it is election year.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

I wouldn't be surprised if the private schools increased their fees especially if they charge less than $4000. New migrants are going to be looking at all schools if they have to pay not just public ones.

Debs

People with 457 visas are not migrants. It is a temporary work permit