A quick note on rental experience so far

We landed about 3 weeks ago and a little concerned over some experiences others had had regarding renting in Perth.

Well, i'm glad to say we found something very easily and have just moved in after looking at about 5 properties.

Went to some open viewings and in some cases it was only us there. We were after a 3 bedroom house/villa in Doubleview/scarborough area as we wanted to get the children into doubleview or wembley downs school as those 2 had good reports. We got a 3 bed villa, tucked away off the street for $430 which isn't bad.

We were surprised that it was so quiet, however the agents have said the market has dropped off and that they have lots of properties on their boards as people have moved back over to the east states as the mining has dropped off.

I thought i'd mention it as we were really worried we might have a big struggle finding somewhere but maybe now it's easing up somewhat for those that are coming over shortly.

cheers,

Darren

It seems to be the general trend that whereas 6-12months ago people were turning up on mass to home opens for rentals that now it is a far more relaxed affair, which is reassuring as we'll hopefully be over soon. On the flip side as the queue's for rentals get shorter the queue for jobs may get longer :-(

I imagine though the market has been flooded with everyone jumping on the same btl bandwagon that has tainted the uk housing market over the past few years.

I particularly love the 'character home' descriptions given in many adverts. Simply put it means $£!*hole!!!

Cheers Darren, thanks for sharing your experience.

I often wonder whether the anxieties people feel, born out of many sensational horror stories, are actually mirrored by the agent and this in turn leads to a negative experience for both agent and tenant.

We've never felt the need, nor been asked to present half the stuff some people seem to need to secure a rental. I don't mean to appear conceited but a pleasant disposition, a bit of banter and polite and respectful children seems to have secured our rentals.

We've completed the necessary applications, waved a WA drivers license and that's it. In general conversation with the agent we might have told them about our work but we've never been asked to provide evidence of anything other than we are who we say we are.

It certainly appears that the market is changing. There are many properties I see crop up time and again whereas 12 months ago it felt like people would have murdered their own children to get a place.

Hi Darren

We too have found the whole renting quite ok too.

We were also looking in the same areas as you, (1) we wanted to be in catchment for Churchlands High School for my eldest James 14 and (2) the local primary schools. We managed to get the first house we applied for, but we did view others whilst our application was pending and most times it was just us or us with one other family viewing the house. I don't know about you, but I did find the real estate agents a bit funny. Some were very friendly and discussed everything, where others appeared quite disinterested. Our agent was so indifferent when we viewed and said we were interested, after we put our application in, they had another house on the same street that we wanted to view as well, when I rang her, she did not know who I was and when I said I had physically handed over our application for the other house to her the night before she still could not place me which was ok, but even after saying my name and mentioned stuff we had talked about it still not ring abell, so we presumed we had no chance of getting the house, so doubled our efforts and made four apts for the next afternoon, at 9.30am the next morning she rang me all pleased to say that we had the house we wanted.

What area did you get in the end, we have got Northstead Street and our children, Emily 8 and Tom 12 start Doubleview Primary on Wednesday. We walked from the school to the new house and it takes 7 mins walking, which I am very happy about. We went shopping today for all their pencils and bags and Emily is so excited about starting school, Tom not so much, mind you they are pleased they can wear trainers not formal shoes. How do your children feel about starting and when do they start. Have you done the equipment shop yet, I was so impressed, it was all so organised and in one place in the shop and it is all in the right order, at Xmas going to do it on line and get it delivered, so much easier than the UK.

Sarah

Edited by SJT

That is very good to hear and glad to hear that you found somewhere quickly and easily.

I have read a lot over the months about what to include in the "Rental Pack". I seem to have included everything, including a picture of the kitchen sink:eek:, I would rather have too much than not enough though. I am pleased areas that we could not afford previously are now coming into our price range, so very encouraging, but as has been said, all well and good as long as the job queues don't get too long:wideeyed:

Yep, it was far easier than we expected. No rucks at the doorway trying to get in, shame really. Winner takes all and that. But it was a lot quieter with only the weekend viewings having more than just us turn up. In fact the place that we will be moving into we offered less than the asking price and were accepted, ok only $10 less but it shows how things are changing.

Yep, it was far easier than we expected. No rucks at the doorway trying to get in, shame really. Winner takes all and that. But it was a lot quieter with only the weekend viewings having more than just us turn up. In fact the place that we will be moving into we offered less than the asking price and were accepted, ok only $10 less but it shows how things are changing.

We sold our house in butler and are renting it out , all the houses are flying because of the invester market as the rental market eases this will change , but they'll flog em up here when the station comes on line

I think a lot depends on the area you are looking. 2 we went to in Kingsley had around 10 couples looking at them and others were just a few people. I do agree that these rental packs seem a bit too much, all we gave them was a bank statement and the name of our last rental agent for a reference.

It does seem like the unfurnished rental market is slowing down, making it a lot easier to find somewhere that you want, rather than as had been happening just grabbing whatever you could get, before your furnished short term rental ran out.

Landlords are putting a more realistic rent on their properties, and this is good for them too, as the tenants that will be applying, will generally want to be in that area, and are more likely to stay.

And yes to some of the above comments, a pleasant demeanor, some pleasant small talk and well behaved kids will go a long way to getting you at the front of the queue!

Tracey

We did a rental pack but didn't really use it as we weren't asked. Our place was reduced to try and secure a Tennant, but a little increase is coming in 6 months. Apparently this happens a bit! Wish I'd haggled more though but we're happy . I found work easy enough to find but that could be just in my trade, not sure about other types if work but this sure is a busy place. By the way...Tom Toms are $88 in the big W with full Australia maps so don't worry if you haven't got one to bring. Also bought a car at John Hughes in Victoria park area today. Big place....didn't seem too Arthur Daley but I'll let you know in due course:-)

Cheers,

Darren

Hi darren, me and my family are heading over hopefully december( thats when our visas should be ready) its me, my misses and 2 young kids.. Ive been constantly searching estate agents for furnished properties, as we are not shipping anything over.. Seems hard to get anywhere furnished. We are going to settle south of perth in halls head, lakelands or meadow springs, where are you? i would really like to secure a house before we arrive, just to head straight to from airport, is this possible? or do we need to wait till we are there and go view places? hopefully you can shed a little light on this mate...cheers, neil

Hi darren, me and my family are heading over hopefully december( thats when our visas should be ready) its me, my misses and 2 young kids.. Ive been constantly searching estate agents for furnished properties, as we are not shipping anything over.. Seems hard to get anywhere furnished. We are going to settle south of perth in halls head, lakelands or meadow springs, where are you? i would really like to secure a house before we arrive, just to head straight to from airport, is this possible? or do we need to wait till we are there and go view places? hopefully you can shed a little light on this mate...cheers, neil

Hi Neil, Welcome to PP.

Your best bet would probably be to look for a holiday rental, that way it will be equipped with everything - linen, towels etc. You'll pay a little more for it but it will at least you can be comfortable for the first few weeks.

It's a lot easier to find a place once here though fully furnished places are not common.

Good luck to you and browse through the forum, there are lots of threads about rentals and quite a few recommendations for good agents and holiday lets.

The rental situation is easing , one indication we are renting the house we sold while we build a new one , had a letter in post from the estate agent who did our sale regarding a house down the road up for rent and do we know someone who would rent it. That's a chance ge

I think people can secure short term rentals before leaving the UK and these are usually furnished. Great for while you're looking for a long term rental. I can't give you names of any though sorry. But I'm sure someone will come along and make a suggestion.

Debs

Hi Neil, we are going over in 2 weeks and are renting a place from a company called lets-perth. They are fully furnished. I don't know if they have any properties south of the river though.

Hi Darren

We too have found the whole renting quite ok too.

We were also looking in the same areas as you, (1) we wanted to be in catchment for Churchlands High School for my eldest James 14 and (2) the local primary schools. We managed to get the first house we applied for, but we did view others whilst our application was pending and most times it was just us or us with one other family viewing the house. I don't know about you, but I did find the real estate agents a bit funny. Some were very friendly and discussed everything, where others appeared quite disinterested. Our agent was so indifferent when we viewed and said we were interested, after we put our application in, they had another house on the same street that we wanted to view as well, when I rang her, she did not know who I was and when I said I had physically handed over our application for the other house to her the night before she still could not place me which was ok, but even after saying my name and mentioned stuff we had talked about it still not ring abell, so we presumed we had no chance of getting the house, so doubled our efforts and made four apts for the next afternoon, at 9.30am the next morning she rang me all pleased to say that we had the house we wanted.

What area did you get in the end, we have got Northstead Street and our children, Emily 8 and Tom 12 start Doubleview Primary on Wednesday. We walked from the school to the new house and it takes 7 mins walking, which I am very happy about. We went shopping today for all their pencils and bags and Emily is so excited about starting school, Tom not so much, mind you they are pleased they can wear trainers not formal shoes. How do your children feel about starting and when do they start. Have you done the equipment shop yet, I was so impressed, it was all so organised and in one place in the shop and it is all in the right order, at Xmas going to do it on line and get it delivered, so much easier than the UK.

Sarah

Hi Sarah, we were going for either doubleview or Wembley downs but it turns out even though we're in doubleview we're in the Wembley catchment. We live in Bower Street which is just up the road from you and about 15 mins from school.My 2 daughters 7 and 11 are looking forward to school but my eldest isn't smiling about the wide brimmed hat....we think it's cool. We haven't done the stationary shop yet, where did you get yours? we were impressed by the principle at the school as she remembered the girls names from our first visit....good sign. Are you still waiting for your furniture etc? We've got 6 weeks yet! Eldest daughter asked me today if we're poor...as we haven't any stuff yet. Had to laugh!

Darren