Planning the move and many questions - Help!

Akasully2

I don't find the heat "dry" at all but it is hot especially around Christmas which is really odd.

Aircon is everywhere !

The winters are cold but nothing compared to the UK - the difference is the houses have mostly no heating, no double glazing and little insulation so inside feels very cold.

We now have an electric blanket, never had one in the UK !

When it rains it really rains but generally only lasts for short periods and mostly at night.

UK rain was always cold and persistent driving through anything..........the rainbows here are amazing !!

Don't worry too much you'll soon acclimatise ;-)

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Pretty much agree with Chardy.

Christmas is very odd - it is often 40c and damned well feels it. We only have aircon in one room - the lounge and so alternate between there and the pool. Nights can be uncomfortable. We have big sliding doors onto the balcony and leave them open. But even so, i still have to have a few cold showers through the night.

Winter is not as cold as the UK - night can get to low single figures, but warmer in the day.

Can feel a lot colder in the house as no insulation, no heating and no double glazing. My wife is often in a jumper and gloves.

Rain is mainly confined to the winter months - but it can be VERY heavy - Perth has about twice the annual rainfall of London. In the summer there is a threat of cyclon which can result in massive downpours - it is rare they come so far south, but occaisionaly they do. I think it was 2 years ago the last one did and caused flooding.

Maybe this is a daft question, but why don't the builders/government learn from this and build house with insulation to keep it cool in the summer and warm in the winter? Surely, it would be a win, win situation. I can understand the older houses not having it but not the new ones. Don't any new ones have it??? Strange.

So where did it flood before? Which areas are at risk of flood?

That will give the neighbours something to talk about!

just need to get cavity insulation in now. Have they heard of that?

Talk all they like, he won't hear them now ;-)

There is some insulation bit it's just a thin silver blanket in the cavity and about 100 mm in the roof space.

I have heard one Melbourne builder advertising free double glazing in their new homes so maybe things are changing slowly ??

The government started a scheme a couple of years ago for grants for insulation. It was a disaster. Lots of companies popped up with little or no experience of doing it and a number of people were killed by electricution in the lofts and houses burned down (says something about the quality of electrical work in the houses). So it was scrapped.

A lot of the houses are also pretty drafty which isa pretty stupid thing to do when Perth is the 3rd windiest city in the world.

A lot of houses also have colourbond roofs - tin roofs. Not exactly good for insulation

It is a legal requirement when building a new house that insulation has to be put in the roof space as part of your contract. The government should make it a legal requirement to install double glazing. A few years ago it was 3 times more expensive than single glazing but there appears to be more suppliers now and prices appear to have come down.

It is a legal requirement when building a new house that insulation has to be put in the roof space as part of your contract. The government should make it a legal requirement to install double glazing. A few years ago it was 3 times more expensive than single glazing but there appears to be more suppliers now and prices appear to have come down.

Yes, but the insulation is poor. I agree, double glazing should be in the building regs. Likewise solar - simply stop the grant schemes and make it compulsary for new builds.

We looked at double glazing recently as we are (if i am still employed) going to build a house after christmas. There was a company advertising a lotin Mandurah - i think they are poms - but for a 3x2 single storey house it looked like i would be paying an extra $50k. So, not feasable.

Don't disagree about making certain things compulsory in new builds however that may affect the investment market. These folk who want to build an investment property, at lowest cost, and to use that / those assets as their supplements to their penison funds or as a small ongoing business. If you start to make new houses too expensive that does have knock up problems for others.

Don't disagree about making certain things compulsory in new builds however that may affect the investment market. These folk who want to build an investment property, at lowest cost, and to use that / those assets as their supplements to their penison funds or as a small ongoing business. If you start to make new houses too expensive that does have knock up problems for others.

I don't have a problem with improved building code, why should an investor not have to build to the same standard ?

It's about carbon emissions and a house that's cheaper to live in is going to be much easier to rent IMO !!

Can you buy proper thick loft insulation in DIY stores? Do the houses have cavity space or are they solid walls? Are there any competent companies pumping the foam stuff into the cavities, if there are any?

Not the same thick rolls but fairly thin batts.

WA houses are cavity wall construction but it is bizarre that the norm is to run electrical cabling in the cavity so it could not be filled without the cabling being updated to compensate for the insulation. Internal walls are brick too so cable is chased in conduit unlike new builds in the UK which are mostly timber stud partitions.

Building methods really need to change here if Australia is to keep emissions low.

Also, the majority of houses built are for owner occupier. So, it makes sense that the building code reflects this.

Personally i would like to see a review of all building practices. We havent built yet, but have a number of new builds around us go up and some were appalling. There was a multi million house go up opposite (that side of the road has 180 degree sea views) and the quality of the break work was shocking. The owner doesnt know to this day as it was rendered.

Out place was built 5 years ago and so far has had to have all the metal work outside re coated as it was not done for ocean conditions, the roof alost replaced, wiring replaced in areas, circuit board replaced as faulty, large cracks which as someone with geotech knowledge i suspect is from subsidence occuring.

The house was built on a hill so we have 2 storeys on the front and 3 at the back, but it was, as normal built on a slab. This is not suitable - though from a geotech point i would not build any house on a slab. A garden shed yes. A house no.

I don't have a problem with improved building code, why should an investor not have to build to the same standard ? It's about carbon emissions and a house that's cheaper to live in is going to be much easier to rent IMO !!

Again do not disagree but after living so long in WA the mantra of "cheap is good" and "do not change things quickly or at all" just keeps ringing in my ears. These boards have that in many of the posts as well so it could be down to to market conditions that the builders do not take the lead in this area. Some offer all these things we are talking about and so people can build to a higher standard. Renters can make that choice as well. Many renters do not want higher specs and many builders do not want to offer higher specs. This is the way of the world.

Mandatory standards /improved buidling codes though is another issue and to move to a higher, improved standards against the wider views of a state that has not necessarily got that desire or to make builders do it when they know that not everyone wants them is hard. That is all I am saying, I think.

Edited by StraighttothePoint

Not the same thick rolls but fairly thin batts.

WA houses are cavity wall construction but it is bizarre that the norm is to run electrical cabling in the cavity so it could not be filled without the cabling being updated to compensate for the insulation. Internal walls are brick too so cable is chased in conduit unlike new builds in the UK which are mostly timber stud partitions.

Building methods really need to change here if Australia is to keep emissions low.

You will find that the way houses are built in Australia varies from state to state. WA is the only state that uses double brick construction as a standard. Most states use external brick and stud partitioning for the internals. You're right though about building methods and standards need to change

You will find that the way houses are built in Australia varies from state to state. WA is the only state that uses double brick construction as a standard. Most states use external brick and stud partitioning for the internals. You're right though about building methods and standards need to change

Double brick construction sounds like a higher spec, so surprised it is so s***!

Thank you all for the excellent responses to my questions.

Here goes, My next 3 questions...

1. Do you have Scouts in Perth? If so, are they everywhere like here in the UK? My son does it now and it would be a shame to stop.

2. Is it common or unusual for people getting a 190 WA sponsored visa to up sticks and move to another state? Either during or at the end of the two years. What would happen if someone couldn't find satisfactory work within the 2 years commitment period and wanted to move states? Would it have a negative effect on the visa or later applying for citizenship?

3. Do your cats and dogs have a problem with hunting or being hunted by the wild life? Do Ozzy bred pets have more inbuilt common sense than the ones we bring over with us?

Discuss... :wink:

Thank you all for the excellent responses to my questions.

Here goes, My next 3 questions...

1. Do you have Scouts in Perth? If so, are they everywhere like here in the UK? My son does it now and it would be a shame to stop.

2. Is it common or unusual for people getting a 190 WA sponsored visa to up sticks and move to another state? Either during or at the end of the two years. What would happen if someone couldn't find satisfactory work within the 2 years commitment period and wanted to move states? Would it have a negative effect on the visa or later applying for citizenship?

3. Do your cats and dogs have a problem with hunting or being hunted by the wild life? Do Ozzy bred pets have more inbuilt common sense than the ones we bring over with us?

Discuss... :wink:

Scouts are pretty much everywhere.

No problem with your visa when it comes to not being able to stay the 2 years in that state, it's only a moral agreement.

Pets are stupid wherever, our cats have been stung by bees but nothing else, they do eat spiders though ! There are strict controls on pets to prevent them harming wildlife too.

Hi ya, you seem to have some of the dilemmas I am facing, we are debating the entrance date next year, as we are in rented in Uk at mo, having sold our house very quickly. My daughter is looking to start a Uni in Perth, but we do not want to hit the ground in extreme tempretures. I was wondering about sunscreen, cosmestics etc lol. I have just found out today my daughter will have to resit her driving test also, so now she is not at all happy, as took her a year to pass in UK and 3 tests!

Furniture issues the same, quotes we have had for a container implies that if we have stuff to take, fill the container, we will be renting for a while when we get there, so not all our furniture will look good until we settle, then will look to replace or purchase.