Planning the move and many questions - Help!

Akasully2

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Hi ya, you seem to have some of the dilemmas I am facing, we are debating the entrance date next year, as we are in rented in Uk at mo, having sold our house very quickly. My daughter is looking to start a Uni in Perth, but we do not want to hit the ground in extreme tempretures. I was wondering about sunscreen, cosmestics etc lol. I have just found out today my daughter will have to resit her driving test also, so now she is not at all happy, as took her a year to pass in UK and 3 tests!

Furniture issues the same, quotes we have had for a container implies that if we have stuff to take, fill the container, we will be renting for a while when we get there, so not all our furniture will look good until we settle, then will look to replace or purchase.

So you are taking everything then but still buying new later? How much have you been quoted for a container? Does it include packing and unpacking? We need to do this bit yet.

We were discussing last night which of my OH expensive petrol garden tools he should bring. My reckoning is that the rotavator and mower get sold but the chain saw comes with us.

does anyone have any experience of bringing this stuff over. Is it worth it?

I'm not condoning the breaking the 2 year in state agreement but as it stands it is not a condition of your visa unless it says otherwise on your grant letter.

Bring the chainsaw if its an expensive model but there is a good chance you won't get it clean enough to pass quarantine checks so may cost a couple of hundred dollars for cleaning fees.

Hi ya, you seem to have some of the dilemmas I am facing, we are debating the entrance date next year, as we are in rented in Uk at mo, having sold our house very quickly. My daughter is looking to start a Uni in Perth, but we do not want to hit the ground in extreme tempretures. I was wondering about sunscreen, cosmestics etc lol. I have just found out today my daughter will have to resit her driving test also, so now she is not at all happy, as took her a year to pass in UK and 3 tests!

Furniture issues the same, quotes we have had for a container implies that if we have stuff to take, fill the container, we will be renting for a while when we get there, so not all our furniture will look good until we settle, then will look to replace or purchase.

If you found that out just from your question on PIO, I would ask again on here, nobody on there knew for certain. From my reading of the WA website was that the license could just be transferred over for a C Class (car) license if she has already got a full license from a Recognised Country (UK), the link provided to you was for a driver from an "Experienced driver recognised country" (which seems to be mainly Eastern European, some Asian countries and RSA). Check this link http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

But has I haven't experience the situation you may get an accurate answer here.

If you found that out just from your question on PIO, I would ask again on here, nobody on there knew for certain. From my reading of the WA website was that the license could just be transferred over for a C Class (car) license if she has already got a full license from a Recognised Country (UK), the link provided to you was for a driver from an "Experienced driver recognised country" (which seems to be mainly Eastern European, some Asian countries and RSA). Check this link http://www.transport.wa.gov.au/licensing/20669.asp

But has I haven't experience the situation you may get an accurate answer here.

Yep I agree with you, she will fall into the "Recognised Country" category not the "Experienced driver recognised country" so should be OK.

I might just ring them for you to check................:wink:

I'm not condoning the breaking the 2 year in state agreement but as it stands it is not a condition of your visa unless it says otherwise on your grant letter.

Bring the chainsaw if its an expensive model but there is a good chance you won't get it clean enough to pass quarantine checks so may cost a couple of hundred dollars for cleaning fees.

Thanks for that. Defeats the object if we have to pay cleaning fees.

Not intending to break the conditions of agreement but always good to know where you stand in the future. Cheers.

We had been renting for 5 months when we put the deposit on our block, waiting for the brickwork to start if the rain stops long enough !

Hi Chardy,

Are you actually building it yourself or did you buy through a developer who is building it?

I woke up to fog this morning but it has now turned into a lovely sunny day, 19c. Planning on putting the washing out in a minute. Having a domestic day, been baking bread, coffee cakes and cinnamon and apple cakes using apples from the garden. Autumn is here, but a beautiful warm version of it today.

All the best, hope you can start building soon!

Hi Chardy,

Are you actually building it yourself or did you buy through a developer who is building it?

I woke up to fog this morning but it has now turned into a lovely sunny day, 19c. Planning on putting the washing out in a minute. Having a domestic day, been baking bread, coffee cakes and cinnamon and apple cakes using apples from the garden. Autumn is here, but a beautiful warm version of it today.

All the best, hope you can start building soon!

I wish I was owner building but big deposits needed for that route !

We secured the block with the land agent then chose a mainstream builder (Ventura) to build our house.

Gorgeous weather here in Sydney, will have to bring it home with me !

gorgeous day here in Stoke too, I too have made some cakes and had my afternoon tea outside with no wasps. the weather makes such a difference to how you feel and view the day

Dear Odies,

Now this is a funny one, I always think of you as a man but now I'm thinking you're a woman! This has made me question what makes me think that! No reason why you couldn't be a man baking cakes and having afternoon tea!

Stereotyping and reading between the lines seems to be the order of reading unisex named posts!

I wish I was owner building but big deposits needed for that route !

We secured the block with the land agent then chose a mainstream builder (Ventura) to build our house.

Gorgeous weather here in Sydney, will have to bring it home with me !

So what you doing in Sydney? I thought you were in Adelaide the other day, from memory. Part of the jet set?!:wink:

Ah yeah, I tend to travel a bit for work, Adelaide last week Sydney this week. Hope to stay in Perth for a couple of months after this before another trip but who knows ?? ;-)

So, as you have got to see a few more locations out there, which one do you prefer? How does Perth compare to Adelaide and Sydney? How do they differ in terms of landscape, atmosphere and appeal?

Guest guest9824
Next question....

How long did you rent for before buying your house? Was it your priority to buy ASAP or did you take your time to make sure you settled before jumping in?

We rented for about 8 months, bought whilst renting so we have been in this house since November 08. I cant say as i liked the whole renting game, felt really alien to me as we have never rented in our lives, I dont think it was common practice in the UK. For us as a family, to help us settle better, we wanted to buy something as soon as possible, and we were lucky enough, like Ali, to have sold our house in the UK. So with the very favourable exchange rate at the time being 2.28, the timing of bringing cash over to buy was absolutely right for us!

So, as you have got to see a few more locations out there, which one do you prefer? How does Perth compare to Adelaide and Sydney? How do they differ in terms of landscape, atmosphere and appeal?

Ok I will start by saying I have been working so haven't been able to spend a lot of time during the day in each city.

Adelaide - very quiet and not as high rise a anywhere else. A very local feel to the place like everyone know everyone, a large aged population but still very good and varied CBD nightlife. Traffic around the CBD in rush hour terrible ! A bit cheaper than Perth for food and drink. Climate feels much more European.

Melbourne - a much bigger spread out city around the river which has plenty of tourist stuff.

Crown complex is awesome which is just part of a great nightlife. Cost wise not much different to Perth. Weather very variable though !

Sydney - the city is very London like in terms of how busy it is and have to say grimy compared to Perth but a very Asian feel and great selection of restaurants, shops etc at fairly reasonable prices. Lots of happy hours from 5pm to 7pm where you can get a pint for $3:50. Oh and at least you can get a train from the airport to the city !

In summary I like Melbourne a lot except the weather but Perth still wins for me as I've never been a big city lover.

Hope this helps, feel free to ask anything else !

Cheers Chardy!

Always good to get another persons take on it. Really pleased Perth is your number 1!

Went came over last Christmas and visited some of the east cost cities but sadly never ventured to Perth, had we known where our journey was going to take us then it would have been our prime visit site. Sod's law!

we went to Sydney and found its size and rush, rush, rush too full on for us. Also, we were amazed at how many Asian people were there. However, they were more Chinese/Japanese than compared to UK.

Melbourne was culturally rich, loved the colonial buildings and huge grand parks and museums/galleries but found that there was so much graffiti which put us off. Also the weather was chilly. It was the only place where we had to wear coats. Looks odd in the photo album! The beaches also were not what we expected, certainly not the turquoise colour I had come to expect. Saying that though, the great ocean road scenery was stunning.

Really pleased Perth is your favourite. I hope it will be ours too!

All the best.

New question...

Do they have Blackberries bushes in Oz? Can you pick them in autumn to make apple and blackberry pies? Are apple trees common? These are questions from my 8 year old. I think you can tell what we were doing this weekend!

Perhaps there are alternatives if blueberries and apples are not an option?

Edited by Lou8670