Planning the move and many questions - Help!

Akasully2

• Replies 925
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

New question...

Do they have Blackberries bushes in Oz? Can you pick them in autumn to make apple and blackberry pies? Are apple trees common? These are questions from my 8 year old. I think you can tell what we were doing this weekend!

No, there aren't blackberry bushes. I have never seen an apple tree here and we do a fair bit of country walks.

I've seen apple orchards on the drive to New Norcia - about an hour out of Perth. We have lemon and grapefruit tress in the garden - never short of something to put in the G and T. Much more useful than apples!

Will have to change my baking to lemon drizzle cakes instead then (whilst sipping on a G+T!).

Yep, lots of people have lemon, lime, orange, mandarin trees. We were garden shopping yesterday and nearly bought a lemon, but opted for a bay tree as lemons are easy to get, but I struggle to get fresh bay leaves for cooking.

Love my bay tree, it has followed me from house to house in a pot. Good to know I can get a new one over there. So how about mangos?

New question...Clothes...

maybe I have been focussing on the wrong things recently. I keep hearing people say that Perth gets cold indoors during winter. I have therefore been on a shopping spree for thick cardies. They will of course keep me snuggly and warm during our impending winter months. I spoke to an English woman yesterday that has just returned from Perth and she looked at me as if I was mad. She just kept saying how it was so hot most of the time. Either that, or wet.

So my new question is...what clothes should I be stocking up on for me and my family?

I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers!

A mix. It certainly does get cold in winter - night time temps into the low single figures and we even had a 9c this week in mandurah and were well into spring.

I personally don't find it cold during the day, though I don't find it cold anywhere. My wife spends winter in the day in wool jumpers and things.

I would buy a mix of stuff. Some winter things, a good rain coat and of course a lot of summer things. For myself, I will spend November to may in shorts and t-shirts.

New question...Clothes...

maybe I have been focussing on the wrong things recently. I keep hearing people say that Perth gets cold indoors during winter. I have therefore been on a shopping spree for thick cardies. They will of course keep me snuggly and warm during our impending winter months. I spoke to an English woman yesterday that has just returned from Perth and she looked at me as if I was mad. She just kept saying how it was so hot most of the time. Either that, or wet.

So my new question is...what clothes should I be stocking up on for me and my family?

I look forward to hearing from you. Cheers!

In winter it can get down to 2c at night and day temps hovering around 12-14c which after a summer here you'll think is cold. Houses don't have central heating or double glazing so are very expensive to heat with gas heaters or using reverse cycle air con if the house has it.

We have an electric blanket now but never had one in the UK !

Bring your cardies and maybe onesies for night time in the winter. Summer will need cool stuff only even at night !

We had our first 28c day yesterday for months and it felt just nice and warm but not hot !?!

Edited by Chardy

Not hot at 28c! I think I would melting by then.

Ok, so a mix of clothes. Personally don't own a onesies. I never got the whole 'wear your pyjamas' outdoors thing. Looked too Chavy. I actually saw a young woman the other day in tesco wearing her PJs, bathrobe and slippers. Not a care in the world! Could only be, care in the community or a Gypsie. (That's not me being rude, they really do have gypsies here).

Maybe I will invest in a onesie for indoor use only, all part of embracing the new changes ahead!

Ok, so a mix of clothes. Personally don't own a onesies. I never got the whole 'wear your pyjamas' outdoors thing. Looked too Chavy. I actually saw a young woman the other day in tesco wearing her PJs, bathrobe and slippers. Not a care in the world! Could only be, care in the community or a Gypsie. (That's not me being rude, they really do have gypsies here).

Maybe I will invest in a onesie for indoor use only, all part of embracing the new changes ahead!

Well you have another 10-12c to add on for summer !! Welcome to Perth !

I wasn't suggesting wearing them outdoors just inside your own house ...........although we did see a late teen girl wearing one in Coles a few months back and it had the big square Velcro bum flap on the back !!

You'll thank me come June/July next year ;-))

some areas up north never take off the t shirt short thing with bare feet thing all year round. do they south of the river ? but you would not want to live / shop there dare i dare to say ....

anyway summer speaks for itself capri pants, shorts,cotton skirts etc winter you will need a cardi or sleeveless fleece and jeans etc.

go on to sportscraft , witchery, country road internet sites to give a good idea. You will find the materiel loads lighter than over here

See loads of people in PJ's here and it's the first place I have seen where there are signs saying no entry in bare feet

some areas up north never take off the t shirt short thing with bare feet thing all year round. do they south of the river ? but you would not want to live / shop there dare i dare to say ....

Much more civilised down here, don't see too many bare feet other than on the gorgeous quiet beaches. The shops are the same just not full of UK accents and British goods !

Can't think of anything specifically but, our biggest thing we told ourselves was that it was a different country, with different education and health systems, that we wouldn't moan about it not being like the UK (because we knew it wasn't going to be).

Halloween is not such a big thing here. You see the odd kid dressed up, but it is much more subdued than the UK.

Guy Fawkes is not celebrated at all. Fireworks are illegal for the public in WA and some years there can be a fire ban by then anyway. A lot of Australians would not have heard of Guy.

There are public fireworks in Perth for Australia day - which is probably the biggest celebration in the year - in my view bigger than Christmas. Mandurah has fireworks on New Years eve.

My kids probably go to parties, we have a few trick or treaters, but nothing like we had in the UK. It's probably getting bigger, I've noticed more things in the shops each year. Guy Fawkes isn't part of Australian History - as Stormy says you have to have a pyrotechnic licence here, you can't just set fireworks off in your back yard.

Good news then. I hate the way the UK over recent years has got more like USA with going nuts for Halloween. When I was a kid, we knew what day it was but only marked it by watching a scary film and by keep glancing out the window as the midnight hour approached, just in case!

My own boys want to go trick or treating but I don't let them. I don't want kids begging for sweets or threatening to do something horrible to me if I don't hand over the goods, so why would I let my own kids do it to others? I'm not very popular for it!

instead, we make Halloween theme biscuits, carve pumpkins and watch a kids spooky film. However, this year my 8 year old is pleading to be allowed to do it as it's our last year in UK. So far I have stayed rigid and just repeat, No!