Suburb help....please!!!!!

mwjw

Hi, over in perth at the moment and really struggling to find places we like, with our visa conditions. So far we have found and given them a maybe, Byford and Mandurah. Bunbury was nice but too far for jobs. Haven't tried seabird yet. Have to live in post codes of 6041-6044, 6083-6084, 6121-6122 and 6200-6799. Does anyone know about it these areas? Want somewhere with low crime if possible!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Hi, over in perth at the moment and really struggling to find places we like, with our visa conditions. So far we have found and given them a maybe, Byford and Mandurah. Bunbury was nice but too far for jobs. Haven't tried seabird yet. Have to live in post codes of 6041-6044, 6083-6084, 6121-6122 and 6200-6799. Does anyone know about it these areas? Want somewhere with low crime if possible!!!! Cheers Mike

If you just google, "crime statistics perth wa" then you will get a choice of sites, some of which are post code comparison sites. Mandurah over Byford for me with main reasons being access to public transport options north and south, good road connections north and south, direct rail link to Perth city, near the seaside and greater choice of houses and house types. Only my view though.

I'm with STTP, Byford is a bit in the middle of nowhere. Meadow Springs just on the north side of Mandurah is lovely and has a 6210 postcode.

We live in Lakelands next to it and we have not seen any high crime just the usual burglary or two. You will think Perth has high crime from the news but everything is reported on as there is not much else to fill the news.

Areas you are looking in the rates will be lower anyway as areas are less built up.

With the trainline running from Mandurah you will be in the City in around 50 minutes, and the freeway now goes from Perth right down to Bunbury. You will find that people do travel longer distances over here as a rule - we would drive 100kms for breakfast - I don't think we would have driven 50 in the UK.

Mandurah is lovely, do take your time to find a good area though as there are some places that are not as nice as others - talk to the locals and take your time in getting a longer term rental.

Good luck!

Tracey

Where do you need to be for work? What job do you do?

Hi very stormy,

I thought I could work in Perth but reckon due to my 489 visa, I have to work in certain areas too. I work in credit and jobs out in the sticks are non existent. Bunbury is good for the wife but again, nothing for me. If I can't work anywhere, the move can't happen.

Hi Ali, sorry didn't phrase this very well!! I'm being a little selfish as I can't find credit jobs down there. Drove from Perth to Bunbury to check it out. Liked it but worry about lack of employment. You live that way?

Mike

No i'm about 20 mins drive from the city - Bunbury too far away for me - just wondered about the job comment and if your visa meant you had to live and work in the same area

Mike, we have been back from Perth 2 weeks ago and we are planning to go back on 489 visa and we looked at those postcodes and we fell in love with Mandurah, good job prospects, good schools and lovely houses and did not want to go too far out up north there just did not seem enough work, good schools etc there!! Byford we thought not alot there and Bunbury too far down, but Mandurah ticked all the boxes for us!!

Crime rate is pretty low in Mandurah too we certainly preferred it to the city itself.

Good luck.

No i'm about 20 mins drive from the city - Bunbury too far away for me - just wondered about the job comment and if your visa meant you had to live and work in the same area

Hi Ali, looks like I have to work where we live, which limits us big time. Almost stopping us coming. Work in banking a nothing in mandurah or bunbury...the dream is slipping away

Which other secondary schoolwould you recommend then?

You are stuck with private, baptist college, catholic college or the Anglican one.

There is only one state secondary, John Tonkin, until they build one in Lakelands but not likely to be until 2019 !

There is Halls Head but its a middle school, years 8-10 only.

This is our main reason for moving to Baldivis as the new secondary is looking to be really good so far.

You will find that people do travel longer distances over here as a rule - we would drive 100kms for breakfast - I don't think we would have driven 50 in the UK.

Tracey

i wish Tracey! Almost everyone we met when we arrive asked where we were staying, and when we said 'Carramar', they said where's that? When we said, near Joondalup, the reply was always, 'oh way up north!/out in the sticks!' Now we are in Butler i bet we never see anyone from 'the city'!

i get the feeling that driving more than 30 mins to meet anyone/go anywhere is a mission, and am trying very hard not to get into that mindframe!

Hi Ali, looks like I have to work where we live, which limits us big time. Almost stopping us coming. Work in banking a nothing in mandurah or bunbury...the dream is slipping away

Is there any way you can go on a 189 or 190 visa? Sorry if you've already covered this elsewhere!

This is a big issue with the 489. There have been a number of people over the years that have moved to Mandurah on a 489 and then realise that they can not get work in their field. My wife is currently teaching english to a Indian lady whose moved over with her husband to Mandurah and he can not get work in his field in Mandurah so is driving a taxi.

Which is maybe the way to think about it. Come and do a couple of years in another job until you can work in Perth. You never know, you might prefer it!