Applying for jobs fromt he UK

tayloal

Hi all,

I obtained my 190 visa in July this year since then I have applied for quite a few jobs whilst I have been trying to sell my house. Unfortunately I have drawn a blank on both fronts.

I've also noticed quite a marked slow down in the jobs market in Oz in my line of work, mechanical engineer / maintenance manager, mainly down to the mining slowdown and more people with the same (or better) experience looking for work. Obviously these people will be looked on favourably in any job application process.

I now find I've got a few 'more' big decisions to make,

Sell my house at a loss to move quickly and move over with less savings to see me through to finding a job / if I find a job.

Activate my visa and keep applying for jobs and hope that something comes along, whilst continuing to attempt to sell my house

Moving without selling isn't an option unless I get a job lined up and this is looking really doubtful.

Just starting to wonder how long I will keep my life on hold to make this move. I have good job here so am obviously looking for a decent job in Oz for a similar standard of living.

I've always said that emigrating will not provide a better life, just a different life but i'm not prepared to make it financially worse.

Is anyone else struggling with the jobs market out there and is re-considering the move or are experiencing the same problems as myself?

My OH isn't having a lot of luck applying from overseas either. We've been told by quite a few people we need to be there but same as you we can't and don't want to give up good jobs here unless OH has a job to go to. We're also trying to sell our house at the moment but its only been on the market a week. :eek:

We've decided to validate our visa in October which takes a massive amount of pressure off us and allows us to get our bearings in Oz now we are planning to move there :wink:. I would suggest perhaps this might be the best solution for you. Also you aren't putting your life on hold at all; you are just moving into a different phase. Make sure you enjoy every day no matter where you are and what you decide to do.

I hope you decide to follow your dream!

MY suggestion is (if you havent already) is to get your CV to some local recruitment agencies out here on OZ. I found my job that way, as they have better insights into the market and where you will fit in. Also they can represent you on the ground.

Other thought, especially if you have PR is not to be specific on where you live, we originally wanted to live on the gold coast, but the job came up in WA, so here we are.

The market here in WA is slowing down, but there will still be demand for good candidates.

Best of luck

Nick

Lou, Nick, thanks for your replies, the validation trip is either going to be last minute in November or planned for Feb - March next year, not sure yet. I'll keep plugging away at the agencies and job applications, hopefully something will turn up and also now that the new government has been elected things should start moving again in the economy.

Good luck with your move Lou and I hope things keep on the up for you Nick.

MY suggestion is (if you havent already) is to get your CV to some local recruitment agencies out here on OZ. I found my job that way, as they have better insights into the market and where you will fit in. Also they can represent you on the ground.

Other thought, especially if you have PR is not to be specific on where you live, we originally wanted to live on the gold coast, but the job came up in WA, so here we are.

The market here in WA is slowing down, but there will still be demand for good candidates.

Best of luck

Nick

Nick

Do you have any names of recruitment agencies that I can contact??