Primary school teaching

Cleowag

Hi everyone. Let me introduce ourselves. Myself, hubby and 3 year old son have just been granted a 190 visa for WA. This is for hubby's occupation as a primary school teacher.

We were surprised at how quickly the visa was processed. We have until August next year to enter Australia so we may have to pop over for a validation visit first if we've not organised everything in time (we need to sell the house).

I have a few questions about teaching and can type quicker than DH, hence I'm asking the questions!

We recognise that getting a job as a teacher isn't going to be easy and that there isn't a shortage. Hubby is thinking of starting off on supply work if he is able to. Has anyone made the move and done this? If so, what is your experience of this? Is work plentiful and regular?

Secondly, for any teachers that have successfully got work in the primary sector, how does this compare to the UK? in terms of planning and pressure? Again, we are not expecting Australia to be any better but hubby spends most of his time at home planning and preparing for work- is it the same there ?

We rushed our application through at the end of June to avoid the new charges and were really lucky that we did it in time. However we didn't expect it to come through this quick! So we now need to do a lot of planning and research.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom or advice they can offer, feel free.

Many thanks for listening.

If anyone else has any words of wisdom or advice they can offer, feel free. Many thanks for listening.

If you send me a PM with an email address then I can send you a costing spreadsheet and a list of must read websites. Also if you type in the words "primary school teacher" into the search field top right above you will get numuerous recent threads that may help with some of your questions in that area. And hopefully some other teachers can add something as well.

Good luck.

Hi, Your thread was so interesting... we are just having our WA sponsorship accepted (hopefully) and I'm a primary teacher too. ( I'm Alison, hubbie Chris and twin boys aged 8) We are having major wobbles as to whether we can afford to go now and this info has shaken us. Obviously we understand about the pools of teachers but we are not sure as to whether going to Oz with no prospect of a job can be done. Any more help greatly appreciated. :)

Thanks

I am doing work as a Relief teaching asst and there seems to plenty of it about and lots of relief teachers in schools aswell especially the Ed Support Centres. My friends just moved over and he is a Maths teacher in secondary school and has picked up relief work after 2 weeks Hope that helps Good luck Lou

Guest guest9824
Why are they losing their jobs? Is it because year 7 will be in high school from 2015?

Dont think its anything to do with that Akasully, its just cost cutting, I think there was an announcement a couple of weeks ago that 500 jobs would go, there is a big demonstration planned in Perth tomorrow about the job cuts!