michaelr

places to rent or buy in

hi everyone, im looking at areas to settle and have had mixed advice from people, can anyone give me info about secret harbour as an area to settle in ? ive aslo been told that north of the city is nicer than south, and the told freemantle and rockingham are both nice places , help !!!!!!!

hi everyone, im looking at areas to settle and have had mixed advice from people, can anyone give me info about secret harbour as an area to settle in ? ive aslo been told that north of the city is nicer than south, and the told freemantle and rockingham are both nice places , help !!!!!!!

Hi Michael, i'm in the same dilemma! I'm NOR at the moment & really like it here, however I went to Rockingham at the weekend & liked what I saw there 2. I think that you get nicer rentals for your money SOR (more modern) but that's just my opinion. I think it's a case of going & seeing for yourself. It's a hard one!!

I have heard that the weather is nicer NOR & if there's going to be a storm or anything then it's Mandurah that gets it..I don't know how true this is but the person that told me that was brought up SOR. It'll be interesting to find out other peoples views on this.

Alana

Hi

We have been here 4months and were in the same position as you. We are SOR not as far as Mandurah or Secret harbour which are both meant to be lovely although like anywhere you have to pick the right area. Rockingham is about 25 minutes from us but we were advised to avoid it by my family who have lived here for 20+ years then again some people on this forum live there are like it!

The things you need to look at are where are you going to work? Because the commute from Mandurah to the city can be very busy . If you have children look at the schools although private ones are a lot cheaper here than UK.

Lots of lovely places NOR too but I havnt been there sure some people will pop along soon and give you their thoughts on that part it has been said there are lots of British there.

Trying to be diplomatic as the North/south divide does cause arguments on these forums sometimes lol! We chose South as we have Famiy here we are about 15 minutes from Fremantle and 25 from the city.

Hope that helps a bit!

We live in Orelia, which has a bad reputation, but we find it lovely. We also rented in Rockingham, and luv the foreshaw, nice clean beach, great cafe's (try Betty Blues for Sunday morning breakfast). The main driver in my mind is cost of housing, once you get down to Kwinana, Rockingham etc, the houses are way cheaper to rent / buy. We found when looking around that you can just say Rockingham is good / bad, you really have to look at the house / street your looking to live in, as two streets can have two very different feels, especially how the houses are looked after.

I've not lived NOR but we are happy where we are, close to Freo, and 30 minutes from Mandruah, so plenty to see / do.

Nick/Lynn

We are currently near Mandurah and do cop a few more storms than NOR but I can't see that being a deciding factor !

It's all personal choice, we heard bad things about Rockingham and Mandurah but having lived here it seems to be particular areas or streets that are worse and I'm sure the same could be said about places like Butler etc.

You just have to come to both and decide, it's a busy commute to the city wherever direction you come from NOR, SOR or even east/west !

Been in mandurah 5 years and would not consider anywhere else.

The far northern suburbs are very British - wandering around it feels like every other person is in a premiership football shirt. But, I don't recommend Secret Harbour. It has more than it's fair share of issues and the beach isn't as great as people say. Very windy, big waves and famous for rips. And again, more than it's fair share of football shirts.

If you can tell us more about you and what you are looking for - particularly budget then that will help more - a lot of people are simply not able to live in some areas due to price.

Also what job you do / where you will be working. No point living in mandurah if your work is in the northern suburbs.

I think you need to come see for yourself as everyone will give you different opinions some you may agree with some you may not. I agree with Stormy about Secret Harbour I live here and am sorry we didnt stay south of Mandurah. But hey time will tell

I was not going to get sucked into this old chestnut but then I thought......

Going east is an option, some nices places. West is a bit watery so at least you can rule that out and leave three locations to mull over........:wink:

Edited by StraighttothePoint

I think you have to just decide for yourself I found you quickly got a feel for an area when you go around and, keep you options open bearing in mind commutes to work. We have been here almost 5 month (flown by) we are NOR and I like it here, we are in Tapping never even considered it before we came but I really like it here. Husband works in Jondulup so its just a 10 min drive into work, close to shops and beaches parks and national parks great for us. Think everywhere had good points and bad points only you will know what you want. Good luck on your journey.

I think you need to come see for yourself as everyone will give you different opinions some you may agree with some you may not. I agree with Stormy about Secret Harbour I live here and am sorry we didnt stay south of Mandurah. But hey time will tell

What's wrong with secret harbour then ?

We are in secret harbour until our build is finished and the "quarter" we are on is lovely, friendly neighbours and only 2 mins bike ride from the great patrolled beach.

Shops are a bit limited but the pub is great !!

I have heard less complimentary things about the eastern half of the area but not witnessed anything.

Guest Michela Vittoria

We have a house for sale in Halls Head 5 minutes from Mandurah. 2 minutes walk to a big park and the beach. It's a large 4 by two with hot tub spa pool and recently renewed. Evalued by two different agency at $495 000 but we put it on the market privately at $469000 to sell quickly. Please contact me if interested in viewing

We did are rekey last April stayed in Rockingham, we thought it was lovely can not understand when people say stay away.