Perth Royal Show any good?

taylors4

Hi anyone going, or been? Is it any good. We are normally avid supporters of the Cheshire Show when at home in the UK, but this seems to be on a bigger scale. Any tips for the day. We are going on Sunday, and thought it best to use the day rider ticket on the train from Mandurah to Perth then Perth to the showground. Expecting it to be very busy though. Is it worth staying for the fireworks?

Thanks for any advice or tips. Also the kids are now expecting a show bag, look a bit of a rip off to me, please tell me they are good value??!

Went as a kid in the 80s. Didn't really enjoy it.

Went a year or two back (got free tix) and again didn't enjoy it.

Expensive stuff, boring displays, 1000s of children. Infact, if it hadn't been a nice day I think it'd be my idea of hell.

The wife and I went to have a look, and were back on the train within an hour.

If you have kids it might be alright, as you could let them run about and annoy others for a change giving you 5mins of peace.

Don't take my comments too seriously. We (the wife and I) are not really into that sort of thing. We only went as it was free.

Petting farm animals, fireworks, children and RAC motorbike displays are not really "us".

We'd rather the 4x4 show, Big Day Out / Soundwave, or going to the V8s.

Guest guest9824
Hi anyone going, or been? Is it any good. We are normally avid supporters of the Cheshire Show when at home in the UK, but this seems to be on a bigger scale. Any tips for the day. We are going on Sunday, and thought it best to use the day rider ticket on the train from Mandurah to Perth then Perth to the showground. Expecting it to be very busy though. Is it worth staying for the fireworks?

Thanks for any advice or tips. Also the kids are now expecting a show bag, look a bit of a rip off to me, please tell me they are good value??!

The first couple of years of being here, we went as a family, spent a fortune, mainly on showbags. Stayed for the fireworks at the end and had a long, reasonably (for the parents) enjoyable day. The kids have loved it. As they have got older, the youngest one really enjoys going on the rides and the showbags for her are very important. Some of the side shows, and free stuff is good for the kids, its a long day especially if you wait for the fireworks at the end, but its a day out, and probably something you should do, just to say you have done it, either liking it or disliking it! Cant say as I would go if I didnt have children.

I have been going to the Royal Show since the kids were little and have it down to a fine art. So glad they can now go on their own. It is really up to you what you make of it. Lots of people go in with their kids, buy too many showbags, spend a fortune in sideshow Alley and leave. The Saturday paper will have the show guide - not just showbags but also the free entertainment - and there is lots of it. Plan your day around that. There are lots of good quality street performers and it is worth catching some of them. Here's a few things I can remember -

Red Rooster stage - has non stop entertainment suitable for kids, sometimes a hypnotist, talent show, magician, band

Little kids area at Gate 1 usually has free activities in a tent and entertainment

Wood chopping is a very Australian thing that is worth watching - fills half an hour

dog agility competition fun to watch

usually have dyed sheep and hold guinea pig races

go round the poultry pavilion to see some weird and wonderful hens/ducks

art display - get them to vote for their favourite painting and photograph and if you are in the money, buy one!

Crafts pavillion - interesting looking at amazing decorated cakes, hand made stuff

Dairy pavillion - you have to fight the crowds but good to go there later on in the day and there are lots of free samples of cheese, yougurt, ice cream. Last year they sold toasted sandwiches for a $1. Outside you could milk a cow - Ok it was a wooden one but young kids liked it

There is a pavillion that has lots of old farm gear - usually have some men who will send a morse code message for you for free.

Usually have a caravan section with carvans for sale. My sons loved to look round those when they were little and decide which one was the best.

There is a pavilion with sheep where I caught a fashion show. Also a pavilion with alpacas, pigs and you can pat a pig and get a sticker.

Also near gate 1 is a display from another country - they invite a different country each year. Often free activities in there. Next to it is a covered stage area where there are fashion shows but also other shows - couple of years a great Chinese acrobat show - free, times will be the programme.

Next along that road is the animal pavilion for little kids where there are all sorts of animals - always heaving but worth a look depending on their age.

Same road is a food pavilion - great for free samples. They do something called The Yellow Brick Road where you buy a bag and go round different stalls and get something for the bag and get a stamp, kids like that but there's enough free samples to keep them interested. It has free cooking displays in there and a sausage on a stick for a $1. They also do reasonably priced strawberries and cream there.

Next pavilion along is good to go to about 6pm when it is getting cold - lots of small stalls selling all sorts of things, including wine tasting, Usually free food samples in there too. Usually have something like Channel 7 news set up where kids can have a go at pretending to read the news - corner along the back wall. This pavillion is where you'll find the grown up showbags - a few back issues of woman's mags plus lots of free samples - I usually buy one of those. Also in this pavilion near the stairs theyhave a row of 'penny' slot machines where you put in 20cents and get chewing gum - my sons loved those.

I caught the cow judging one year which was an interesting experience - five cows brought in that all look the same then they judge them looking for the 'most feminine'.

Usually have free shows outside - high diving one year, guy on a horse rounding up sheep with a dog that jumped on the horses back, dog doing tricks, all worth catching and free.

I have always said to the kids I'd pay for three rides and one showbag and they have to use their own money for anything else. Rides were $10 each so it is expensive but when they know they are only getting three then they choose carefully. I don;t go near side show alley until later on in the day and do all the other stuff first. Don't buy the showbag until after 6pm or you'll be carting around all day - it keeps them interested in the wait for the fireworks.

Fireworks are worth seeing as they are so close, and so loud. Little kids might find them frightening. Take a blanket as it chills off. They usually have stunt cars beforehand. Some nights they are half an hour earlier.

Sunday will probably be the worst day - if you're not into AFL go on Saturday! They'll have TV's on everywhere and announcements re how the match is going.

There are several charities and schools that take over parking and I park there and think of it as a charity donation rather than a rip off. It's probably about $16 a car now.

Scouts often have a climbing wall. The police pavilion has things for kids to do.

There is a district display pavilion where they make huge displays out of fruit and veg, bit boring for the kids but often have free samples of bananas!

You can make a whole day of it without going over board but it needs careful planning in terms of picking shows to watch etc and knowing what to see. There is a huge amount of free activities kids can do but you have to know where they are.

Hope this helps. Have a good day!

Don't take my comments too seriously. We (the wife and I) are not really into that sort of thing. We only went as it was free.

Petting farm animals, fireworks, children and RAC motorbike displays are not really "us".

We'd rather the 4x4 show, Big Day Out / Soundwave, or going to

I have a pony mad teenager who's desperate to go, so hey oh, we're going!

I have been going to the Royal Show since the kids were little and have it down to a fine art. So glad they can now go on their own. It is really up to you what you make of it. Lots of people go in with their kids, buy too many showbags, spend a fortune in sideshow Alley and leave. The Saturday paper will have the show guide - not just showbags but also the free entertainment - and there is lots of it. Plan your day around that. There are lots of good quality street performers and it is worth catching some of them. Here's a few things I can remember -

Red Rooster stage - has non stop entertainment suitable for kids, sometimes a hypnotist, talent show, magician, band

Little kids area at Gate 1 usually has free activities in a tent and entertainment

Wood chopping is a very Australian thing that is worth watching - fills half an hour

dog agility competition fun to watch

usually have dyed sheep and hold guinea pig races

go round the poultry pavilion to see some weird and wonderful hens/ducks

art display - get them to vote for their favourite painting and photograph and if you are in the money, buy one!

Crafts pavillion - interesting looking at amazing decorated cakes, hand made stuff

Dairy pavillion - you have to fight the crowds but good to go there later on in the day and there are lots of free samples of cheese, yougurt, ice cream. Last year they sold toasted sandwiches for a $1. Outside you could milk a cow - Ok it was a wooden one but young kids liked it

There is a pavillion that has lots of old farm gear - usually have some men who will send a morse code message for you for free.

Usually have a caravan section with carvans for sale. My sons loved to look round those when they were little and decide which one was the best.

There is a pavilion with sheep where I caught a fashion show. Also a pavilion with alpacas, pigs and you can pat a pig and get a sticker.

Also near gate 1 is a display from another country - they invite a different country each year. Often free activities in there. Next to it is a covered stage area where there are fashion shows but also other shows - couple of years a great Chinese acrobat show - free, times will be the programme.

Next along that road is the animal pavilion for little kids where there are all sorts of animals - always heaving but worth a look depending on their age.

Same road is a food pavilion - great for free samples. They do something called The Yellow Brick Road where you buy a bag and go round different stalls and get something for the bag and get a stamp, kids like that but there's enough free samples to keep them interested. It has free cooking displays in there and a sausage on a stick for a $1. They also do reasonably priced strawberries and cream there.

Next pavilion along is good to go to about 6pm when it is getting cold - lots of small stalls selling all sorts of things, including wine tasting, Usually free food samples in there too. Usually have something like Channel 7 news set up where kids can have a go at pretending to read the news - corner along the back wall. This pavillion is where you'll find the grown up showbags - a few back issues of woman's mags plus lots of free samples - I usually buy one of those. Also in this pavilion near the stairs theyhave a row of 'penny' slot machines where you put in 20cents and get chewing gum - my sons loved those.

I caught the cow judging one year which was an interesting experience - five cows brought in that all look the same then they judge them looking for the 'most feminine'.

Usually have free shows outside - high diving one year, guy on a horse rounding up sheep with a dog that jumped on the horses back, dog doing tricks, all worth catching and free.

I have always said to the kids I'd pay for three rides and one showbag and they have to use their own money for anything else. Rides were $10 each so it is expensive but when they know they are only getting three then they choose carefully. I don;t go near side show alley until later on in the day and do all the other stuff first. Don't buy the showbag until after 6pm or you'll be carting around all day - it keeps them interested in the wait for the fireworks.

Fireworks are worth seeing as they are so close, and so loud. Little kids might find them frightening. Take a blanket as it chills off. They usually have stunt cars beforehand. Some nights they are half an hour earlier.

Sunday will probably be the worst day - if you're not into AFL go on Saturday! They'll have TV's on everywhere and announcements re how the match is going.

There are several charities and schools that take over parking and I park there and think of it as a charity donation rather than a rip off. It's probably about $16 a car now.

Scouts often have a climbing wall. The police pavilion has things for kids to do.

There is a district display pavilion where they make huge displays out of fruit and veg, bit boring for the kids but often have free samples of bananas!

You can make a whole day of it without going over board but it needs careful planning in terms of picking shows to watch etc and knowing what to see. There is a huge amount of free activities kids can do but you have to know where they are.

Hope this helps. Have a good day!

Brilliant! Thanks for that, I'll plan accordingly then $10 rides is a bit of a worry ......

We went last year, our first year, no young kids but we still enjoyed it for what it was.

You spend as little or as much as you want. We Didnt feel that we were ripped off at all. We stayed to the end, the fireworks were amazing.

I think a lot of it was fun because we had only been here a couple of months at that stage and unlike this year the weather was gorgeous.

I would say its a good thing to go when your new here, like Australia Day you do get a sense of just how patriotic the Westralians are.

in the UK we would normally do these shows every 3/4 years as they can be a bit same old same old, just as this probably is but our teenagers and friends newish to Perth want to go, so we are going again this year

Please tell me whats in a showbag??

It's a shopping bag, full of stuff from a particular brand.

So You'll have a "SpiderMan" one with a face mask, a comic, some toys

A "Womans Weekly" one with cheap makeup, a purse, and some magazines

"V8 power" with a DVD of cars, some magazines and a toy Ford

"Cadbury" will be full of chocolate etc.

It's a themed bag of cr*p that will have "$50 value" for $10.

So you'll have all the kids themed ones :- Ben10, TellyTubbies, ThunderCats

And then the mature ones :- Cars, Makeup, Gossip Mags

As a kid it was good as you got loads of "stuff" from your favorite TV show or comic (MAD magazine always had fake dog poo, fake blood, and rubber vomit - I wasn't ever allowed it).

We went last year - we don't have kids. It was ok, had a reasonable day, but wouldn't bother going back. I think kids would have a good time.

A show bag is a bag and there are hundreds of different ones each containing different stuff. So you can get one full of sweets, one full of chocolates even one that costs over $200 full of macerones. http://www.perthroyalshow.com.au/showbags.aspx

I HATE IT!! But I don't do crowds so that's why. My kids love it. The eldest polishes off about $500 a year and I take the youngest every other year until she is old enough to go alone with friends. Thankfully it's the 'not going' year this year so I just have to part with cash rather than my sanity!!