Single person offered 80K in Perth....

Red Rose

Hi guys,

I am on a very mediocre salary in London (30k), but, believe it or not, manage to get by on that living in shared accommodation in central London. I would say my standard of living is ok, not great, but not too shabby either.

I potentially may be offered a job in Perth for 80k. I appreciate this is also a very mediocre salary, in Australian terms, and as far as standard of living is concerned, equivalent to a 30k salary in the UK. I therefore would be potentially trading like-for-like.

I am able to get by and live a comfortable life in London on 30K, but wonder if I would actually be worse off in Perth on 80K as a single person? I would be happy to live in a shared flat in Perth (CBD probably) and am not a big drinker, so would hopefully be able to keep my outgoings to a minimum! The role sounds very interesting and could be a step up for me in my career, which is why I am considering making the mov. I am petrified, though, about the cost of living in the most expensive city in the Southern Hemisphere, and would welcome some opinions about how much of a `struggle street' 80k will be.

Thanks.

Ask Straighttothepoint for his budget sheet and that should help you work it out.

At the end of the day though, it's up to you to make it work if you want to. We live a simple life and find it easy to get by here. There are many, many things you might do in London that are free here - lots of street festivals, art festivals, music festivals. It depends on what you enjoy, what kind of life you live.

Guest guest10912

Deja vous. I saw this on the other site, will post my response over there here as well as not sure if you saw it as you didn't come back.

I shouldn't think London and Perth would be really that different in terms of cost of living. Both salaries are a shade above the national average and I think you would be in a reasonably similar position financially. I think this comes down to what you want to do. I would be rather sceptical about a role in Perth leading to bigger and better things than a role in London, but that aside, living and working overseas is a life experience that appeals to many people and if you are one of those people then it is definitely worth considering.

My wife works in Coles supermarket, beside a lot of single people who are permanent staff in there, and they earn and survive on a lot less than 80k a year. Although you think 80k is a mediocre salary it in reality is not and many, many people do not get near that amount. Don't to be fooled by this site, the sometimes big chat about big salaries because Perth is a city split in two, i.e. those that have and those that do not and survive. Yes it is an expensive place to live but you have survived London so no doubt could cope. If you view the move as an adventure, with a possible chance to enhance your career and lifestyle, then I guess you will manage.

Thanks for the replies guys, reassuring to know Straightothepoint that it's an ok salary. My idea of a decent salary in Perth has been skewed, perhaps, by posts on here and other sites from expats who say unless you are earning $150k, minimum, between two you are going to be in relative poverty. And there are sooo many posts like that and they all come across as quite self righteous too. But one man's idea of poverty could be another's idea of paradise, so I guess it is all relative.