Do folk camp in western oz?

Bouncy

Hi! Been a while since my last post, just wondering if camping is something that is popular in W.A.? We love camping and have all the gear, is it worth bringing it over? Also we've been thinking about buying a trailer tent, is it ok to put these in a container? Any issues with transporting a trailer tent from the uk to oz?

Thanks for any replies!!

Lots of camp sites in wa and they seem well used! We started looking in august to see if we could book anywhere over dec jan and nothing is available!!! Apparently most sites get booked for xmas in the january!

just make sure its all spotless if its been used. I think it would probably be inspected so make sure its all packed together.

There's many sites to go camping, and you don't have to go far if you fancy just pitching somewhere in the middle of nowhere. Have a quick google around for wa campsites or similar. I think some of the National Parks require you to have a park permit. A lot of roads in the national parks etc are unsealed and if it's on a map it's not necessarily navigable without a 4WD. Don't expect much mobile signal if you head out too far either (CB radio and satellite phone are useful). Bring your stuff, but bear in mind the time of year you may be camping - if it's summer and the overnight low is still in the high 20's then your current sleeping bags may be too hot. Trailer tent needs to be spotless for the customs guys. It might be worth checking with the licensing people as to if/how it needs to be licensed - I've seen some trailers that have their own registration - it may mean a trailer has to have it's own checks/rego, but I'm not sure.

Guest guest9824

My sis camps alot here, thinks nothing of heading off road into the middle of woop woop and setting up, the quieter the better for them. Wedge Island, Coral Bay, to name but a few, then down south Denmark, Albany way! They have a pop up tent, BIL has a swag and likes to sleep under the stars! Its all very basic, bit too basic for me, I am a glamper (thanks Ali for that one), if there is a camp site with chalets on it, thats where I will be :biggrin:....chaleting!

My sis camps alot here, thinks nothing of heading off road into the middle of woop woop and setting up, the quieter the better for them. Wedge Island, Coral Bay, to name but a few, then down south Denmark, Albany way! They have a pop up tent, BIL has a swag and likes to sleep under the stars! Its all very basic, bit too basic for me, I am a glamper (thanks Ali for that one), if there is a camp site with chalets on it, thats where I will be :biggrin:....chaleting!

i'd be in a chalet with you Pea, reduce the chances of encountering wildlife ;-)

J x

Tried camping but it was a NIGHTMARE!!! I have this glamorous (obviously not camping!) idea it will be bliss but it has always ended up with children who stay up too late, wake up too early, need the loo in the middle of the night, it rains and I get wet and we pack up early and go home :(

Always optimistic and would stupidly try it again LOL!

Lou x

Edited by Lou8670

Thanks guys, great replies! Not sure our tent would stand up to scrutiny! Think best idea would be to sell and buy new over there, just another thing to add to the list! We had the chance if buying a cheap trailer rent but will probably hold off. We ideally want a campervan, another item on the waiting list!!! Good to hear critters aren't too much of an issue! Just remember to zip up!!!!

Thanks again!

We spent 4 weeks driving from Broome to Perth and camped the whole way down with only a pop up tent! It was fantastic, only next time we might splurge on some air beds!!

We set of from Perth in Dec 2008 and headed North to Exmouth and camped all the way with a pop up tent. We then went South, then East and eventually North again. It took us 6 months but we ended up at the Sunshine Coast after taking in all the major cities and finally went South again to Sydney where we stayed in a shared house with loads of students. It wasn't the cleanest of places but it felt like bliss after so long in a tent.

Worst part of the whole trip was being in Melbourne just before the fires at the beginning of 2009, the heat was unbearable at 6 am. So we packed up and went to Brissy!!

We had never camped before but loved every minute of it

well stayed in a wooden lodge on a winery in Margaret River, sounds posh saying that. It was rough in the middle of nowhere had kangaroo poo everywhere. then in the evening possoms on the roof doing a dance most of the night and never seen so many kangaroos.

BUT we had the time of our lives really enjoyed the experience but definatley could not stay in a tent sorry .

We have our first camping trip booked for Nov we bought a new tent before we came over as couldnt get ours clean enough. I am more of a glamper I have a carpet fridge heater etc and have to have power for my hairdryer lol!!:biglaugh: It has to be better than packing for every season and holding onto your tent at 3am in Devon!