Is it an obsession? #justsayin#lol#

Lou8670

Good question. The all consuming thoughts of Perth. We talk about it so much as a family it touches everything we do. As it's a secret we have given it a code word so we can at about it openly when out in public. We refer to it as 'holiday'. So then line usually goes something along the lines of, "there's no point in buying one of those because we can't take it on holiday" or "Do you think they have them on holiday?".

I remember when we got married, there was so much OCD planning involved that once we were wed it all seemed so empty. Like, what now? What's the next project? Do others that have made the move experience this with the OCD Perth dream?

Was never obsessed, and not really phased by it.

When the wife and I decided to go, we just went through the visa process.

Once done, we sold/packed our stuff.

Now we are here, we just live our lives.

Thinking about anything too much, is a bad thing.

Was never obsessed, and not really phased by it.

When the wife and I decided to go, we just went through the visa process.

Once done, we sold/packed our stuff.

Now we are here, we just live our lives.

Thinking about anything too much, is a bad thing.

I think you are right Bibbs. Thinking about things too much only leads to stress and this is exactly what I do!

Yes I think you do Lou, for the past 18 months we have lived, slept and ate Perth!!To the point that I wish I could sometimes switch my brain off. It does become your focus in life. Ten years ago I decided to go to Aus on a whim, in 6 weeks id rented my house,got my working visa, sold up packed my bags (managed to fit a 2 week holiday to Jamaica in between the 6 weeks) and I was on that plane!

Not quite the same this time, I think having t`internet allows you to absorb so much information that it can overwhelm you..

We sometimes wonder what we ever used to do in the evenings..

Im sure we used to have a life:biglaugh:

It definitely is easy to become obsessed with the move, i guess everyone is different and has different circumstances?!!... For us, myself and OH have approx 2 days off a month together...5 of us living in a 2 bed flat and both have become very stale in our jobs!... So the thought of being in Oz has taken over everything! Hopefully it will be our light at the end of the tunnel and although i am aware that the grass isn't always greener...at least the sun will be warmer!!!!!!! Just saying ;))

Ha Ha, we are not alone then.

We have had serious OCD about Oz and have done so for the last couple of years. Our family and friends have also been obsessed with it as everyone has wanted it so much for us too.

We leave on Tuesday and are very calm about it now, which we never thought we would be. We are more apprehensive than excited about what lies ahead.

OH bought some new safety boots last night (cheaper here than there) and he found a penny inside one of them - hopefully a lucky penny:wink:

I agree with Katarina, when we went to Oz years ago, we made the decision, got the visa and just went. This time it feels very different, but still feels right.

when scott and I first starting talking about emigrating we were very excited, talked about it all the time, couldn't think about anything else, I would get very emotional, its such a massive thing to do, but things calmed down and we havnt spoken about it for a while now, until the last couple of days. we have started looking on the internet for houses again, and ive loved reading the Christmas thread on here. but I was reading it out to my mum today as we are both very excited about Christmas, but I got quite upset, moving to oz is massive and very scary!

but I am very excited about it, but if it doesn't happen then its not meant to be, if I feel like its the only thing we can do and it doesn't happen, then don't think id be very happy, but fingers crossed we can get the visa !!

x

Good luck with the visa Jo. We have ours but its still scary!

Planning on going out it April 2014. Should Be researching meaningful stuff but I just can't stop spending hours on PP! I went through a phase of looking at areas and houses night after night but after coming up with my 'possibles' list, I was laughed off by those living out there already as they said that I really needed to be there to see it as what I had chosen was a weird diverse collection of probably unsuitable locations! Put me off after that. :sad:

Edited by Akasully2

Good luck with the visa Jo. We have ours but its still scary!

Planning on going out it April 2014. Should Be researching meaningful stuff but I just can't stop spending hours on PP! I went through a phase of looking at areas and houses night after night but after coming up with my 'possibles' list, I was laughed off by those living out there already as they said that I really needed to be there to see it as what I had chosen was a weird diverse collection of probably unsuitable locations! Put me off after that. :sad:

hi,

think we are going to fly out jan 2015, unless we have saved enough money and have the visas then we can go earlier :-)

we are planning to go to baldivis / warnbro as we have friends there, but neither of us have been to Australia so not sure where to go !

there are some lovely houses to buy with pools and undercover outdoor areas, id love one of those houses !

since finding perth poms I have less time for facebook, which can only be a good thing lol !!

x

Was never obsessed curious would be better to describe it. Been seen and will be heading home within the next 2 years. For us it was not for ever. Same social problems as the UK but with better weather.

There are a lot of people moving back home as the found living the dream is not a dream a very expensive nightmare. But for others they embrace it and never look back

sorry to hear that elfie

and akasully2 which areas are you looking to live ?

and I to keep spending more time on pp than facebook seems more important to at the moment

Never really do FB, have an account but it says virtually nothing about me. I'm always dubious of it. Often the people who ask to be your friend are people you went to school with years ago, have nothing in common with now and they just post tosh about what they had for breakfast! Or maybe that's just the type of people I collect!!!

I do think however, now is the time to embrace it more as it could be great for telling everyone what you get up to over in Oz. Just need to get the settings correct so I don't let the cat out of the bag about our plans. Still secret for most.

As for where to live....I was favouring up in the hills but keeping an open mind to living by the sea. The problem is I have done so much research that I have just got more confused. Read one site, sounds great. Read another and it has a different take on it.

Looking for a respectable , safe area with a great community spirit, good schools, more modern houses ideally, some facilities, space and views. Ideally, don't want to live in a built up little Britain. Got to be able to get to the main roads for easy access as hubby will be site based and it will vary. Anyone have suggestions where would suit us, I would love to read them.

.... I just read this back to myself and had to come back to amend it. The description of what I want sounds so general. I suppose you have to think about whereabouts you live now in the uk or rather where you would ideally live in the uk and apply it to what you want in the Oz.

Ok, so I don't live by the sea here but I do live in a very conservative, middle class area that expects its citizens to be respectable and respect others. Great state schools and loads of private ones too. Its citizens are friendly, they works hard, many commute to London and many mums either stay at home or work part time. It's semi rural and I prefer the rural side of things. I love taking in the views and hate built up cities. I like having a some shops to walk around in the centre of the market town.

Hopefully by thinking of who we are here and what attracts us to where we live now and the values we hold dear, we can better identify what would suit us over in Oz.

Self analysis over!

Hope the foot is healing, Odies.

All the best.

Edited by Akasully2

I only use facebook to watch what family are up to and sorry to say I am a Barry Manilow fan so keep in touch with a few people I have very few "friends "

I sound like a poor sorry soul !! but enjoy the photos on there .

I had my ankle fused will be off my foot for 12 weeks and am better than I thought I would be but feel abit yuk today . the drugs are wearing off now I suppose.

I promise I am not an old , sandle wearing ,hair permed etc person after reading this post.

It's definitely an obsession for me. I can't help checking out houses on sale etc just to think. . .one day. . . :biggrin:

I keep holding off from spending cash because I want it to go into the visa savings pot.

At the moment I'd love to change employer but I'm worried it could change the my occupation type so I'm holding off from that too.

Candygirl, you're off soon so good luck! I know exaclty what you mean by 'PERTH OCD' Lou8670. My bf and I haven't even started the visa process yet and I know it's looming over us, but ever since we went on a 7 month WHV in 2011 its all we think about. We probably mention it every day...and I am sure it will get even worse ocne we start applying for a visa. I'm feeling so nervous. How did everyone approach the big subject with friends and family?? I think my parentd know we want to do it and are preparing themselves, but...I just don't want to have to tell them we're taking the plunge! :err: