UKemployment/migration Expo

Mark6

Me and my hubby went to Down Under Live in Birmingham in May and enjoyed it and got some good info. Some of the stands weren't useful to us (such as transferring pensions and money) but we found shipping and job info interesting. Also there was a question and answer session with a tradie from Oz and a professional from NZ and they were very good. Also heard talks from Oz banks etc. The most useful part of the day was a talk by John Adams at immigration2oz about the whole visa process. We also went to a separate seminar in Leeds which was a much smaller affair run by immigration2oz which was really good.

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience with employment/migration expos in the UK. I am looking at going to one and hoping people had had some comments on these good or bad??

OH went to one in London at Australia house, after being invited to attend. He went there with the understanding it was all geared up to certain professions. He was very disappointed as said the only construction management jobs were in civil engineering which wasn't his field. He felt the place was mainly made up of companies flogging their wares, less about what you could gain, more about what they could get out of you. Waste of time for him.

Guest guest10912

Nothing at an expo you won't find on the internet. We went to one in London, had a nice lunch next door and got three new biros, otherwise I can honestly say we got zero out of the experience. I felt sorry for the people there with children, there is one guys face I can still picture if I close my eyes, standing in a very long queue, carrying a screaming child with a couple of other miserable looking ones at his heels. I felt so sorry for him, by the time our expo came around I had found forums like this and knew to set my expectations very low, but I don't think he had.

We went to one before starting visa process in Birmingham found it very handy we had NSW in mind at first but after speaking to mirgration agent who we ended up using after finding him there he talked to us about WA and iam glad he did - Iam glad we went helped us get a feel for the agent - never heard of him until we went there