Pharmaceutical industry in Perth?

Hi all,

Just wondering if anyone knows anything about the pharmaceutical industry in Perth, if there even is one, and what companies have a presence in WA, if any? I haven't really started researching this yet, but the reality of having to look for a job when we move is starting to sink in, so I thought I'd start my research here on this forum and see where it leads me...

Thanks!

Cath

• 2 weeks later...

Thanks for the reply Ali, I have done a search but it didn't turn up the companies I was expecting to find. I'm sure Pfizer have a manufacturing site there which is the sort of thing I'm looking for but can't seem find out much about it. I will get in contact with a scientific recruitment company soon so that I can start getting a feel for what might be available, just thought I'd see if anyone on here had any first hand knowledge first.

I am quietly cursing you now though ;-)

You prompted me into doing another google search and it turned up an ad for a job that sounds perfect for me, but we're not moving over for another 6 months so I don't hold out much hope for it still being available when we get there :-(

Apply anyway - my hubby did that and they contacted and said we're looking for someone right away but we liked your CV we'll keep it on file. A few months after they contacted him and asked were we were up to, had our visa and a moving date - they set up a phone interview and a meet and greet when we arrived and he's been with the company ever since. Worth getting your name in there.

Wow, that's great to hear how well your husband has done and thanks for the positivity! I called up the contact to find out a little more about the position and it still sounds perfect for me! So now comes the tricky bit of putting together my 'statement to address the selection criteria', as it is a government job, which is something that is new to me, any tips anyone?

From reading a reply that you have made on another thread Ali maybe my timeline of close to 6 months isn't too unreasonable a time for them to wait for me (assuming of course that I am the best candidate for the job!) for a government job, thinking about it logically they are very unlikely to get anyone this side of Christmas, and I know that my preference would be to wait a little longer for the right candidate than give the job to second best based purely on availability, so fingers crossed!

Thanks again for the encouragement!

Wow, that's great to hear how well your husband has done and thanks for the positivity! I called up the contact to find out a little more about the position and it still sounds perfect for me! So now comes the tricky bit of putting together my 'statement to address the selection criteria', as it is a government job, which is something that is new to me, any tips anyone?!

There is an art to writing statements to address the selection criteria and they are the bane of the life of anyone wanting to work in government! However have a look at this website http://www.writeawinningjobapplication.com.au. Lloyd White is well known in government employment circles for his good advice on job applications and selection criteria statements. Before I retired, the last thee government positions I held, I applied for using much of his advice. Good Luck!!

Vegemite

How cool is that!! Well done and what a great start.

We are looking depending on how long the visa takes on getting out there next year.

I have tentatively been looking at the job situation,for ref and a/c mechanic but like you thought it may be a bit too early

Now reading how you have got on it gives people more ideas on how to progress.

Thanks for that

• 2 weeks later...

So, I had my interview on Wednesday and I think it went OK but not really sure, I found it hard on the phone to tell if I was on the right track or not without having body language to read. There was nothing unexpected, they stuck exactly to the selection criteria with no curve balls thrown in. I am trying to take the approach that I won't get offered the job and put it from my mind, that way if I do get it I can be pleasantly surprised :)

• 3 months later...

Oops, I just logged on to this thread to add a further update and realised that I didn't update it once I knew the outcome of my interview, I thought I had, so here is update one:

My application wasn't successful. I called to get some feedback and found out that it was nothing to do with the timing for our move to Australia, it was simply that the candidate they offered the job to had more experience than me in a particular area. My interviewer did say that there was the possibility of more hours coming up in the next few months if I would be interested in them getting in contact, so I said yes, definitely...

And here is update two:

Fast forward to last week when I received an email (on my birthday, no less) asking if we were still planning on moving and would I still be interested, so I said yes, and yes. All being well, I am now just waiting for everything to go through HR for a formal offer to be made, so fingers crossed it gets the go-ahead and I will receive something soon!

Those curses aimed at you earlier in the thread Ali may have just turned into a huge bundle of gratitude!!!

• 1 month later...

Woohoo, yep I did get the offer, thanks for asking! I start on 12th May so will have 3 weeks holiday when we first arrive. It has really changed the feel of the move with that huge uncertainty of how long we'll need to survive with no income lifted.

When we first started planning the move I resigned myself to the idea that I would more than likely have to either go back to work full time (I only work 3 days a week at the moment) or get a part time job outside of my field, so to have landed a part time job (I'm still going to work 3 days a week) in my field is just unreal, I am still pinching myself at times!

I hope your job is working out for you tayloal?

Good luck to everyone out there job hunting, I hope you all find yourselves the perfect job!