Would you change career?

portlaunay

(and drop two thirds of your household income)?

It's looking increasingly like my contract will not be extended so I have around a month left in my current role. It's no big deal really, it's truly a dreadful place to work. :eek:

I've been deliberating for quite some time - look for another job in my field, apply my skills in other ways, go for a complete change of direction or forget any kind of career and just get a 'job'.

This week I've been off work, looking after the kids during vacation and I'm beginning to think there may be another option; stay at home dad. Mrs p works but doesn't get paid a huge salary, we'd be cutting out two thirds of our income but I'd be hoping to pull in some cash doing....something :err:

So, has anyone done this? Did the benefits outweigh any loss of income?

Would you consider doing so? How would you cope with such a dramatic drop in income?

Porty Pal

I think you are giving this serious consideration for all the correct reason. One thing to make sure of is that you can live well, and by that i mean pay the household bills and afford the small luxury every so often....

We arrive later this month and one of the biggest things for me is that I do not want to come to Oz to get rich quick, I want to have a comfortable life with new adventures. I am leaving a job where I earn £65-£70k here and i will be unemployed....

My wife will work in nursing and I will hopefully pick up some sort of works maybe in sales , maybe in football coaching or maybe in a local corner shop...

The main thing is I want to have a quality of life ...not relying on money...

Good luck to you my friend and we must catch up and share a glass of vino or similar !!!!! (i'll pay lol)

Porty Pal

I think you are giving this serious consideration for all the correct reason. One thing to make sure of is that you can live well, and by that i mean pay the household bills and afford the small luxury every so often....

We arrive later this month and one of the biggest things for me is that I do not want to come to Oz to get rich quick, I want to have a comfortable life with new adventures. I am leaving a job where I earn £65-£70k here and i will be unemployed....

My wife will work in nursing and I will hopefully pick up some sort of works maybe in sales , maybe in football coaching or maybe in a local corner shop...

The main thing is I want to have a quality of life ...not relying on money...

Good luck to you my friend and we must catch up and share a glass of vino or similar !!!!! (i'll pay lol)

Thanks dude, I appreciate it.

I'm worried that after two years I'm in danger of getting into a situation I can't get out of - commitments tied to an income, a job that provides no nourishment, no enrichment when, after 10 years of earning a reasonable salary, I've little to show for it. I'm not interested in material possessions, my children are the most amazing thing in this world yet I invest so little in them.

I'll hold you to that glass of something but with you coming from north of the border I'm hoping it'll be light caramel in colour, peaty and at least 18 years old :wink:

Well coming from India would be advantage for us. Cos the income here is in rupees and 1AUD is 58INR and whatever I earn above 5000AUD per month would be nice. If I save a little in that amount and send back home would be great.

I always wanted to roam around the world and this is my first step out of India, I am up for all the challenges and excitement. I will take up whatever job I get till I find the job in Electronics domain.

My OH is also seriously thinking about chaning his career path as he has been on the factory floor since completing his apprenticeship and really wants to do "something" different.... the problem is what?? When we get to Perth I am hoping that there will be more scope for him to change his career path by progression. Just hoping that there is some way for him to do this even if it means I am the sole breadwinner for a while (if I can earn enough to pay the bills:unsure:).

Friends of ours who moved to Perth 5 years ago have both changed careers and although it was a gradual progression they love their new lives.

Good luck with making a change.

Thanks dude, I appreciate it.

I'm worried that after two years I'm in danger of getting into a situation I can't get out of - commitments tied to an income, a job that provides no nourishment, no enrichment when, after 10 years of earning a reasonable salary, I've little to show for it. I'm not interested in material possessions, my children are the most amazing thing in this world yet I invest so little in them.

I'll hold you to that glass of something but with you coming from north of the border I'm hoping it'll be light caramel in colour, peaty and at least 18 years old :wink:

I've got a few friends "Jack Daniels" , "Johnnie Walker" and i do know a very "Famous Grouse" who i'd be delighted to introduce you too...but alas i'm not big on the Scotch !!!!

ANYWAY....

I'm in the situation here in the UK that we have commitments that mean i can never move jobs because of my earnings, hence moving to OZ releases me form that life and like you i just want to invest that in my kids. I've learned some hard lessons over the years and our move will be like a total new life for us...

Fingers crossed !!!!!

Go to college and learn something new. I had a half decent job and one day I was talking to a lady in work when she asked me how long I had worked there. I told her that i had been there 4 years and then she said she had worked in there for 27 years. She was doing the same job as me. I phoned my mum and asked her to pick the kids up from school for me, then drove to my nearest college and said someone help me. I was enrolled on a course that started in 4 weeks time. Went to work the next day and handed my notice in. Never looked back.

Debs

I have changed career more than once. The biggest was probably when I became a geologist. I had been working in recruitment and got laid off and couldn't find work, so my wife suggested I go to uni as I had always loved science. It was hard on us financially, but it worked out in the end.

My job was in serious threat until last week. It looked like I was going to be laid off and there are zero jobs out there for what I do now and so was considering another career change. Was looking at nursing.

I have changed career more than once. The biggest was probably when I became a geologist. I had been working in recruitment and got laid off and couldn't find work, so my wife suggested I go to uni as I had always loved science. It was hard on us financially, but it worked out in the end.

My job was in serious threat until last week. It looked like I was going to be laid off and there are zero jobs out there for what I do now and so was considering another career change. Was looking at nursing.

Nursing Stormy? Aren't nurses supposed to have a bright outlook on life and show compassion to others?

Just jesting..... Lol

Hi Rob

Not really these days to show compassion can lead to all sort of dramas. To succeed these days in nursing the nurse has to be come an office manager paper work paper work paper work. The Nursing assistants are the real nurses these days earning far less. A qualified role these days tends to be bums on chairs through no choice of the nurse high expectations from managers plus abuse from public. Its tick the boxes dot the i etc hard being a nurse today with what is expected of you. I worked in a hospital in the UK all I had was why dont you do your training you will fly it. Nopes I dont want to be come a secretary thank you rather spend my time with the patient.

But if I did change career I would love a proper bike shop selling bikes, maintenance mots clothing with a tip top notch cafe attached making good wholesome English food tea and coffee in mug real bacon sausage mmm :: slaps self:: stop it ........... all this back in the UK though not here would work here. Me in cafe cooking hubby doing the bike maintenance thing. Maybe more than a possibility after being here and taking Australia's money hahahahah ...... warped I am sorry

Guest guest9824
(and drop two thirds of your household income)?

It's looking increasingly like my contract will not be extended so I have around a month left in my current role. It's no big deal really, it's truly a dreadful place to work. :eek:

I've been deliberating for quite some time - look for another job in my field, apply my skills in other ways, go for a complete change of direction or forget any kind of career and just get a 'job'.

This week I've been off work, looking after the kids during vacation and I'm beginning to think there may be another option; stay at home dad. Mrs p works but doesn't get paid a huge salary, we'd be cutting out two thirds of our income but I'd be hoping to pull in some cash doing....something :err:

So, has anyone done this? Did the benefits outweigh any loss of income?

Would you consider doing so? How would you cope with such a dramatic drop in income?

Porty life is too short to do something you hate. I stopped working when I had my kids, gave up a well paid job, to stay at home, and be with them. I know it doesn't suit everyone, and some people would go mad if they had to stay at home, but I have loved it, not missed anything...I've been lucky enough to do this. Had I worked, yes we would probably be even more financially better off but I wouldn't change it for the world, you can't get those years back once they are gone. It's just my choice. If you have the opportunity to become a stay at home dad, grasp it! Maybe do some freelance journalism/writing. Maybe a Mills and Boonesque short story trilogy!:biggrin:

Porty life is too short to do something you hate. I stopped working when I had my kids, gave up a well paid job, to stay at home, and be with them. I know it doesn't suit everyone, and some people would go mad if they had to stay at home, but I have loved it, not missed anything...I've been lucky enough to do this. Had I worked, yes we would probably be even more financially better off but I wouldn't change it for the world, you can't get those years back once they are gone. It's just my choice. If you have the opportunity to become a stay at home dad, grasp it! Maybe do some freelance journalism/writing. Maybe a Mills and Boonesque short story trilogy!:biggrin:

Cheers Pea, it's NaNoWriMo in a few weeks, maybe I'll shift my focus and write an Australian love story about a Pom who moves to Perth and falls for an endless sky.

Guest guest9824
Cheers Pea, it's NaNoWriMo in a few weeks, maybe I'll shift my focus and write an Australian love story about a Pom who moves to Perth and falls for an endless sky.

As Pa Larkin would say 'sounds perfick'!

'Pom who moves to Perth and falls for endless sky'......and meets a few 'nutters' along the way! :biggrin:

Hi Rob

Not really these days to show compassion can lead to all sort of dramas. To succeed these days in nursing the nurse has to be come an office manager paper work paper work paper work. The Nursing assistants are the real nurses these days earning far less. A qualified role these days tends to be bums on chairs through no choice of the nurse high expectations from managers plus abuse from public. Its tick the boxes dot the i etc hard being a nurse today with what is expected of you. I worked in a hospital in the UK all I had was why dont you do your training you will fly it. Nopes I dont want to be come a secretary thank you rather spend my time with the patient.

But if I did change career I would love a proper bike shop selling bikes, maintenance mots clothing with a tip top notch cafe attached making good wholesome English food tea and coffee in mug real bacon sausage mmm :: slaps self:: stop it ........... all this back in the UK though not here would work here. Me in cafe cooking hubby doing the bike maintenance thing. Maybe more than a possibility after being here and taking Australia's money hahahahah ...... warped I am sorry

I don't know what hospital you worked in but I spend all day caring for patients and showing compassion. My manager sits on her bum all day with paperwork and occasionally the sisters do, but the nurses don't. Yeah we have to do paperwork because at the end of the day in a court of law, if its not documented, it didn't happen. Nursing assistants don't sit with a patient and family to tell them they have cancer and explain to them what happens next. Nursing assistants do obs on patients but don't understand the implications of why their obs are out of range or deranged blood results. Nursing assistants do a great job but so do nurses. I certainly don't sit on my bum all day and most days I am physically exhausted when I get home from work. And it's been like that since I became a nurse.

having just had an op the only thing I noticed about the nurses were they loved sitting and talking at their Station, got me down abit as I work really hard to earn my pennies in the retail world . not looking at a computer screen and going on about others and their home life.

and yes its good to change your career always remember this life is not a rehearsal enjoy your life with or without money . go for it.

hope that sounds right sometimes when you type doesn't seem to sound the same as talking

Hi Rob

OHHHHHHH ELFIE...we do love you but that quite a controversial statement !!!!!

I've been in the position of had 2 "minor" stays in hospital and the nursing care i received was fantasic form the nurses in the station where i was, the care from the nursing assitants was every bit as good and as important...

my wife is a nurse and i can maybe put your mind at ease but the last thing on her mind is sitting about all day doing nothing. It's crucial she maintains the paperwork aspect of things, it can save lives!!!!!

However i also know the role she plays with patients and their relatives is admirable and extremely challenging...

She has came home many a time with scratches, cuts and bruises etc (she works with the elderly mental health) At 7 months pregnant she was almost struck from behind with a fire extinguisher by a patient, fortunately the charge nurse on the floor with her and stopped it..JUST

And do you know what......She always goes back to her "job" the next day and never complains

And in the UK ....extremely underpaid....

Again thats my personal opinion

Edited by Bobopaulsy

I don't know what hospital you worked in but I spend all day caring for patients and showing compassion. My manager sits on her bum all day with paperwork and occasionally the sisters do, but the nurses don't. Yeah we have to do paperwork because at the end of the day in a court of law, if its not documented, it didn't happen. Nursing assistants don't sit with a patient and family to tell them they have cancer and explain to them what happens next. Nursing assistants do obs on patients but don't understand the implications of why their obs are out of range or deranged blood results. Nursing assistants do a great job but so do nurses. I certainly don't sit on my bum all day and most days I am physically exhausted when I get home from work. And it's been like that since I became a nurse.

I worked on an acute mental health ward PICU then as beds were withdrawn due to government legislation progressed to CRHT also helped run Clozapine clinc one day a week with the CMTHT then one day a week with CDAT . I can assure you I do know why paper work is done! Yes 12 hr days in PICU physically and mentally exhausted I agree as with medical wards My post was not meant to dis nurses its just that times change and hands on are mostly related to the pen these days through no fault of their own. Management pressure etc. Hey I have all the time in the world for nurses I know how hard it is and how hard they work.

OHHHHHHH ELFIE...we do love you but that quite a controversial statement !!!!!

I've been in the position of had 2 "minor" stays in hospital and the nursing care i received was fantasic form the nurses in the station where i was, the care from the nursing assitants was every bit as good and as important...

my wife is a nurse and i can maybe put your mind at ease but the last thing on her mind is sitting about all day doing nothing. It's crucial she maintains the paperwork aspect of things, it can save lives!!!!!

However i also know the role she plays with patients and their relatives is admirable and extremely challenging...

She has came home many a time with scratches, cuts and bruises etc (she works with the elderly mental health) At 7 months pregnant she was almost struck from behind with a fire extinguisher by a patient, fortunately the charge nurse on the floor with her and stopped it..JUST

And do you know what......She always goes back to her "job" the next day and never complains

And in the UK ....extremely underpaid....

Again thats my personal opinion

Oh Bob no need for the love statement that could be deemed condescending or perhaps controversial surely ?

controversial post to be expect from me really I am a controversial woman

My post do not come across the way they are meant shall I apologies for not mincing words and soft soaping my sentences let me think about that erm no i shan't

Yes I too have worked on and EMI ward and yes the dear little granny with a halo round her head at visiting times can change to Attila the Hun when they leave. To this day I still have scars on my arms from 15 years go. I agree nurses totally under valued underpaid pressurised and abused by the public both verbally and physically. I just wish there could be a fly on the wall documentary on the real day in the life of a nurse on a medical ward and a psychiatric one also it would shock the public what they have to endure. Oh with no editing.

Oh and thats my personal opinion also :wink:

Thanks Porty just read that

Wish I could actually have watched that would have been very interesting to compare the Maudsley with where I used to work ................

I loved crisis you never knew what was coming in next with the police or self referral or CPN fast tracking a service user to access doctors asap etc I loved it and miss it loads as well as the wonderful RMNS and other support workers I used to work with :sad:

Thanks Porty just read that

Wish I could actually have watched that would have been very interesting to compare the Maudsley with where I used to work ................

I loved crisis you never knew what was coming in next with the police or self referral or CPN fast tracking a service user to access doctors asap etc I loved it and miss it loads as well as the wonderful RMNS and other support workers I used to work with :sad:

I worked in a neighbouring MH trust in London and had friends working in SLaM. I'd also like to see it and if I stumble across a copy I'll let you know.

Oh Bob no need for the love statement that could be deemed condescending or perhaps controversial surely ?

controversial post to be expect from me really I am a controversial woman

My post do not come across the way they are meant shall I apologies for not mincing words and soft soaping my sentences let me think about that erm no i shan't

Yes I too have worked on and EMI ward and yes the dear little granny with a halo round her head at visiting times can change to Attila the Hun when they leave. To this day I still have scars on my arms from 15 years go. I agree nurses totally under valued underpaid pressurised and abused by the public both verbally and physically. I just wish there could be a fly on the wall documentary on the real day in the life of a nurse on a medical ward and a psychiatric one also it would shock the public what they have to endure. Oh with no editing.

Oh and thats my personal opinion also :wink:

But wouldn't that documentary be boring, watching a real day in the life of a nurse on a medical ward. Coz she's just sitting on her bum all day. Who'd want to watch that...