vaccincations and enrolment

Walkabout

Hi,

I know that I need my children's vaccination record to be able to enrol them at school, however I recently heard that they need to have hep B and chicken pox vaccinations and that without them we wont be able to enrol them - is this true? what have other people done as they are not standard vaccinations in the UK? we are only 6 weeks off arriving so have no time to get the children through a course of Hep B vaccinations and they have all had chicken pox (so that seems a little pointless!) If they do need them, can we get them done once we arrive / how difficult is it to get them? if anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated!

Hi, we arrived 12 weeks ago and just had thr normal UK vacs that were recorded in the red books, which I just took to the schools when enroling the children and no other questions were asked. Exciting times ahead for you. Where will you be staying when you first get here. I found everyone very friendly when we got here so there is always someone to help when you need it.

Try and relax and enjoy the next few weeks.

Sarah

Phew! thanks SJT! I am mostly calm about it all, this was just a curve ball as the last thing I want is to not be able to enrol them at school!! We have a short term let in Duncraig for a month and are hoping to sus the areas out and find a long term rental before the end of the 4 weeks! I like the look of NOR, but am totally open to ending up somewhere completely different, I definitely want to check out leeming SOR as well as I have heard good things about there and the rents look perhaps a little more reasonable! Where are you? have you managed to find somewhere to rent long term yet? I am mildly anxious about finding a long term rental, just because I have heard it is tough to secure one and we have owned a house for a long time now so dont have any references! We are all looking forward to the adventure and cant wait to get on the plane!

Hi we are nor, in Scarborough. Dont worry too much about finding something to rent we got the first house we went for but whilst waiting .for a decisiin we viewed five more and they were all empty properties and as some have said previously on PP I dont think the rental market is as bad as it was. We har an eight week rental and we really did not need this long we had to leave finding a house for a few weeks as they wanted people to move in either straight away or within 3 weeks.

We wanted to stay in Wembley downs as we fell in love with it but it was out of our price range so we have moved a few streets away. We wanted our children to go to Churchlands school so that was our deciding factor. My kids are 14, 12 and 9.

How many children do you have and are they excited.

Do you have jobs to go to or family out here.

Sarah

Thanks Sarah, I will keep my fingers crossed we are as luck with finding somewhere! I have 3 kids as well but they are only 6 (will be 7 in a couple of weeks!), 5 and 3, they are excited but the youngest really doesnt have much of an idea as to what it is all about!

Hubby did have a job to go to, but it fell through last Friday (typically at the 11th hour!) :eek: but I am sure he will find another one! If he cant then I will have to, I am sure that something will work out for us somehow! We dont have any friends or family out there, so we will be flying solo, but are looking forward to the challenge and to meeting new people! I just really want to get the school for the kids right, the rest we can muddle our way through!

I have heard nothing but good things about churchlands, have you heard anything about especially good primarys? there seem to be so many that its hard to know where to start!

There are tonnes of primary schools. We were only looking at a very small area and depending on what street we lived there was a choice of 5 primary schools. We were very lucky that the two youngest go to Doubleview and it seems fantastic and the kids have settled very well. Sorry I dont know about other primary schools.

We had no friends or family out here but decides to just go for it. Pete left behind a fantastic job with great prospects but wanted a different way of life. He has only just started to look for work within the last 3 weeks as he was helping finding a house and getting the kids settled. Thats the only thing we have to worry about as everything has fallen into place and the kids have settled in so well.

Did you have any problem getting a house without an income? We are hoping that if we can prove we have funds we should be OK! What does your hubby do? We were planning for my hubby to take 2 months off to tie up the last bits here and have time when we get there like you to help with finding house and sorting the kids. If you dont mind me asking what rent are you paying? we are hoping to find something for less than $800 per week but really need 4 beds (as I guess you do!) do you think this is possible?

Really glad to hear that the children have settled in so well, I think as long as we can get ours sorted then we can deal with the rest!

(sorry to bombard you with questions!!)

That's not a problem, feel free to ask anything.

We just proved that we had enough in savings so just in gave in copies of our savings accounts etc. We did not offer not to pay anymore per week nor did we offer a few months up front either. We are paying $850 a week at the moment, its officially a three bedroom, with two family rooms and a theatre room, but only outside space for table and chairs. Which I find difficult as since we have had the kids we have always had 150ft gardens, but lots of the houses where we are do not have the outdoor space. Its a compromise we have made so that we are central to everything and its only a leisurely 20 mins walk to the beach and we have beach views from our bedroom window. We are using the theatre room as our fourth bedroom. We need the space as we have in the in laws coming to stay for three months in Nov. We do still keep getting alerts for properties ranging from $650 to $850 in our neighbourhood. But its a 5 mins walk to the primary school and a 3 min walk to the bus stop so my eldest gets the school bus which takes 10 mins to get him to school.

My husband is a construction project manager. I would have been lost not having Pete by my side the last few months. We were suppose to move out here last Nov but decided to renovate and then sell our home to give us extra money so that we could be in the position we are in. I am not sure how soon he will be in work, there are lots of positions for his line of work, its just getting your foot in the door to start off with. What does your hubby do?

The kids have coped a whole lot better than I did I think they adapt a bit quicker than we do.

Please feel free to either ask me questions on here or PM and I will try and help.

Sarah

Hi,

I know that I need my children's vaccination record to be able to enrol them at school, however I recently heard that they need to have hep B and chicken pox vaccinations and that without them we wont be able to enrol them - is this true? what have other people done as they are not standard vaccinations in the UK? we are only 6 weeks off arriving so have no time to get the children through a course of Hep B vaccinations and they have all had chicken pox (so that seems a little pointless!) If they do need them, can we get them done once we arrive / how difficult is it to get them? if anyone could shed any light on this it would be much appreciated!

Don't worry too much - while the schools do ask for the vaccination records, that's all they ask for so you just need to let them know what vaccinations your children have had. No, they definitely don't refuse students who aren't on the Australian vaccination schedule, they don't refuse students who haven't had the chickenpox vaccine and they don't refuse students who have had no vaccines at all :-)

Hi

I have had to get my youngest (4) vaccinated as he is under 7 and both my boys use after school care and I wouldnt get the childcare rebate from Centrelink if he wasnt vaccinated. My 9 year old will just have the catch up one at 12 . The youngest has had one jab, another this month and then in 6 months time :( but he had chickenpox in the UK so didnt need to have that one.