Refrigeration engineer 'er indoors and little one looking to pop over to OZ!

7cdb

Hello

everyone :ssign17:

I think we have found the perfect forum !

We are looking to hopefully emigrate over to Perth in the not too distant future.

briefly, I currently work for myself as a refrigeration and A/C engineer (fully qualified with 20 years experience the last 8 years running my own little business) my partner Anne works for me in an admin role part time as well as looking after our gorgeous little boy Callum.

By the looks of things I am on the skills list and am currently awaiting a chat with a migration expert to find out the best way to go abouts visas etc.

A few questions if possible,and please bare with me as they are probably all the typical newbie and obvious questions but if you don't ask eh!

we are planning to pop over for a few weeks in the next couple of months to have a look around,what are the best areas to stay in just outside Perth? We are looking for a rental rather than a hotel.

visas: what are the differences between all the different ones is it better to sort it yourself rather than employment sponsorship? Costs ? Oh and what is PR ? And how long does it all take?

Now when I was a silly young boy (old man now @41) I had a court appearance and fine for ABH this is some 20 years ago,also a police caution for common assault some 6 years ago. I am obviously going to declare everything but will this stop us in our tracks??

I will have loads and loads more questions I'm sure so please HELP:wacko:

Many many thanks

Calvin

I can help help with a few questions.

Short term rentals are available, but are often expensive. I would do a search in the top right hand box on the home page and you will find lots of threads about them.

There are lots of different types of visa. Employer sponsorship ones are usually temp, are tied to an employer and are not recommended for families as if you lose your job, you have 90 days to find another who is able and willing to sponsor or leave the country. There have been a lot of people fall foul of this and found themselves at Heathrow and homeless.

PR is permanent resident and is what you gain with a permanent residence visa. It means you can live and work in Oz permanently.

How long it all takes depends on which visa you are eligible for and then it is personal on your circumstances. I would say 12 months is a good average. Once granted you have 12 months to come to Oz to validate your visa - basically just come through immigration. You then have unto 5 years to move to Oz. But it is advisable to do it a lot sooner.

The type of visa will initially depend on which list your job is on - there are two. The SOL which means you can apply for a PR visa on your own and the CSOL which requires either state or employer sponsorship. If you use an agent they will go through all of this with you. If you don decide to use an agent, make sure they are MARA registered. There are several that are often recommended on here including Go Matilda and George Lombard.

The criminal convictions shouldn't be a bar as normally it is only prison sentences that cause a problem. But do make sure you declare them as they will show up on the police check.

Verystormy

Many thanks for the reply,We are looking at using the services of a guy From a MARA registered company and will probably go for PR then,we are also popping to a emigration seminar in Manchester on the 19 Oct. So hopefully can pick up some more info then.

again thanks

calvin

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Calvin,

We are currently going through the process, three of us including our 2 yr old. My husband is also in air-con. We were set on Perth so opted for a state sponsorship visa subclass 190 - permanent residency - as mentioned below once granted you get a period of time to activate your visa and then if you leave Oz at this point, 5 years to get back but you have to have lived there for a total of 2 years within that period (if that makes sense!). In an ideal world we plan to activate and live in one go but depends on the speed of the process and how ready we are.

We started collating info in Feb, finalised everything and lodged the visa with Diac on 20th Aug (probably could have done this a bit quicker but took our time getting the info) and we have just been called for Medicals and Police Checks - I'm quite shocked at how quick it is all going through. We used a visa company in London and all in has been abt £6-8k (paid off at separate times so can't remember how much exactly, I like it that way!) - sounds a lot but we didn't want to do anything wrong or have to do anything twice and I've been assured its worth it in the end! If you opt for a similar visa, any questions you have about the visa process I can try and help you with.

We visited Perth in 2008 and loved it but we're in the same boat re knowing what areas are good to go. Most people I know in the area are in suburbs of North Perth so think we will use this as a starting point. Need to look in to short term rentals soon hopefully so if you hear any good things in this area let me know!

Good Luck

Hiya Bridges

Thanks for the reply. It looks like you are further down the line than us so good luck. We are using an agent based in Edinburgh and have been quoted all in at just under £8k so that sounds about the norm! He has advised us to go the 489 state sponsored route and depending on my IELTS results we may go for a PR visa. I just dont have the time to go thru' it all. But if you say 8 grand quick enough it doesnt sound as bad. Hows your fella got on with his skills assesment? And do you know how his qualifications transfer to the ones that are required to work in OZ? Ie Arktik licence and electrical licence ??

Cheers

Calvin

We are off to a seminar in Manchester this weekend on emigration so if we pick anything up I will let you know.

Hiya,

Hubby flew through skills assessment - he's got a "successful" so means he can go out and work there but will need a bridge qualification which I think you can get on the job or whilst in employment, he's still looking in to the ins and outs of it but I've heard him mention arktik guessing this is something you guys will know about more than me!! Hubby did not really like school so IELTS was a challenge, speaking, listening and reading he said were easy he passed theses straight off but just failed in the writing so we hired a tutor in Bolton and passed it second time. Most of the money you pay goes to the Australian Government/immigraton if you decide to stay in Oz you will probably end up paying in the end anyway, gets it out the way if you go for PR! State sponsorship seems to get processed quite quick as once the state approve and send their inital enquiry to DIAC they respond quite promptly.

Hope the seminar goes well, we've not really looked in to anything like that - I guess the key thing we need to learn about at the moment is tranferring money!

Hiya,

Hubby flew through skills assessment - he's got a "successful" so means he can go out and work there but will need a bridge qualification which I think you can get on the job or whilst in employment, he's still looking in to the ins and outs of it but I've heard him mention arktik guessing this is something you guys will know about more than me!! Hubby did not really like school so IELTS was a challenge, speaking, listening and reading he said were easy he passed theses straight off but just failed in the writing so we hired a tutor in Bolton and passed it second time. Most of the money you pay goes to the Australian Government/immigraton if you decide to stay in Oz you will probably end up paying in the end anyway, gets it out the way if you go for PR! State sponsorship seems to get processed quite quick as once the state approve and send their inital enquiry to DIAC they respond quite promptly.

Hope the seminar goes well, we've not really looked in to anything like that - I guess the key thing we need to learn abouts es at the moment is tranferring money!

Hi Bridges

now then,money.... why don't you just transfer it into my account and I will promise to look after it for you! :biggrin:

Good odd luck with it all

• 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
How you getting on?

Hello Bridges

Apologies for not replying any earlier,we got back from Perth at the end of last year and needed time to really think things thru' on what we wanted from life etc etc. Anyhows we froze our application untill we were definate the move to Perth was what we really wanted. It is!! And are now waiting to hear back from our agent on what to do next.......

how are you and yours getting on?

Ooh, so how was you're trip to Perth and what was it that made you think yes this is for us? We've not been since 2008 so my memory is a bit vague and have a few wobble days, think i may be in for a shock/suprise once we get there!

We've got our visa now, house sold, goods packed and we head for new beginnings in just over 3 weeks (13th may). All went through quite quick once everything was submitted. Will keep you posted on our journey, or more specifically OHs journey, if you like? There are various things that need doing once you get there in order for you to work and eventually get your licence. We think we have most things sorted and ready to go once we arrive but there is not much you can do until you actually get there.

Good luck with the process and hope all goes smoothly :)

Ooh, so how was you're trip to Perth and what was it that made you think yes this is for us? We've not been since 2008 so my memory is a bit vague and have a few wobble days, think i may be in for a shock/suprise once we get there!

We've got our visa now, house sold, goods packed and we head for new beginnings in just over 3 weeks (13th may). All went through quite quick once everything was submitted. Will keep you posted on our journey, or more specifically OHs journey, if you like? There are various things that need doing once you get there in order for you to work and eventually get your licence. We think we have most things sorted and ready to go once we arrive but there is not much you can do until you actually get there.

Good luck with the process and hope all goes smoothly :)

Bridges please keep me posted on how the OH gets on with the additional training and where to go and what to do please. I will be sending off my vetassess as soon as i get the last certificate in, hopefully not too long now but city and guilds are a law unto themselves.

Hi Bridges,

We loved Perth it's a stunning city,had enough time to get a good feel for the place/area NOR and SOR. It will be NOR for us,the journey has begun for us,when we started the process work and business was flat out so didn't really have time to concentrate on it happening. With being a bloke one thing at a time and all that! Things with business have slowed so we have time to get things moving again. It would be great to know how things are going for you lot,not just work but I hope everything goes well.

Please do let us know how things are going and good luck x

• 6 months later...

Thought you guys may like an update on where we're at. Wayne has just done his last practical and passed so he is finally done!! Hoping college will finish processing the paperwork some time in Dec so that we can send it off to ARC and energy safety to get his tickets ready for the new year!! Has taken 5 months to do and apart from having to go in to college was weekend work only and mainly just sundays. He also took a few weeksends off with the new arrival and visitors so probably could be done quicker if needed.

He's been really lucky in his job and has been given a 12 month contract and a pay rise and should get another one once everything is finalized. Not so good is that he's damaged his knee and has to go and have it operated on on Saturday, good news is that as it was a work injury it has gone through works insurance and has been dealt with in record time, he's been really well looked after. Hope all is going well for you all. Allie x