Worried I've made a massive mistake

Shona7

Hi all,

Over the past few weeks I have been on PIO and Perth Poms everyday religiously! From what I've read I'm beginning to fear that I may have made a big mistake. I am a nurse and midwife in the UK, married with two children aged 9 and 5. I secured a job this summer as a midwife in Perth and visa application has been lodged......on a 457 :nah:

Our original plan was to come to Australia on the 457 to see if we actually liked the placed before even thinking about PR as I will have a job to come to and no cost of skills assessment or IELTS yet. Now I think I'm wishing we'd gone down the PR route as we'll be loosing so much more money in other areas such as tax, no state help and the future of education. It's such a big move anyway but now I feel it may be so much harder. Is anyone else in a similar situation? My problem isn't the job as I'm over the moon with that, it's the visa route I have chosen which scares me :wideeyed:

Thanks in advance

Sho

Guest guest10912

Well you certainly won't be any worse off from a tax point of view, but yes there are other financial and non-financial reasons why PR is better.

It is easily fixed though, just apply for PR now. You can still go ahead with the 457 and then when the skilled migrant visa comes through it will simply replace the 457.

Our original plan was to come to Australia on the 457 to see if we actually liked the placed before even thinking about PR......Now I think I'm wishing we'd gone down the PR route as we'll be loosing so much more money in other areas such as tax, no state help and the future of education.

Try not to take short term view. You say you want to see if you like the place then you worry becuase of money. Which is more important? You could come here on PR and hate it and all the money in the world would not help you then. Coming over, seeing if you like it and keeping your options open especially in the current economic climate here is perhaps a wiser option than jumping in full guns blazing. If you try to take a long term view of the cash flow then the short term problems will not seem so worrying. So you pay more in the short term but in your favour then is having more flexibility in relation to life decisions. Alternatively as The Bear says above just go for PR now and spend more money to get that. Swings and roundabouts maybe?

For me the insecurity of the 457 made it a none starter - but our decision was that we always hoped the move would be a permanent one. One of the things I would suggest to you is to look at your trusts policy on career breaks and look at if you can apply for one - it gives you an added safety net if you do want to return home (depending on how long you're away either the same job or a job to return.

Thanks for your reply guys.

StraighttothePoint I see what you're saying and you have put me at ease. The life change has definitely got to be more important than the money especially in the long term. I guess if we don't like it or it doesn't work out it'll have been an adventure for us, the kids and the dogs!

Ali, definitely going to look into the idea of a career break.

Sho

As a family who also came on a 457, I really don't think you have too much to worry about. Yes there are plenty horror stories abound but believe me there are also thousands of very happy campers who came this channel.

as has been said there are pros and cons. The biggest pro being you are coming with a job to go too straight away in these economic times that is a very big plus. You also know where you are based so easy for you now to mark out suburbs that will be suitable for you.

tax isn't any different to PR, you are entitled to Medicare. As from 2015 you may have school fees to pay but you have a chance now to put them in the equation.

ive seen the latest costs on here for PR visas, a staggering amount. Seems if you want to be here that's the price though. Personally for me paying all that amount upfront before coming would be a bigger worry than a 457.

You may love it here but what if someone else in your family doesn't settle, to the point of real unhappiness and you had spent all your savings and then some on getting here.

Come but don't burn bridges, like Ali says try for a career break, rent your house and if at all possible have a trusted someone look after your dog until your sure your going to be staying for a few years.

I too nearly got OH to turn down the offer of a job because of what I had read on the forums re 457, I'm glad I didn't. Less than a year later we were PR because we knew we wanted to stay.

good luck

FI xx

Thanks Fifi69.

I think I am going to stick with the 457 for now and ride it out, see what happens. I appreciate there are many families that do move from 457 to PR and I guess the horror stories are always the ones that stick in your mind!

Good to hear that it all worked out well for you guys.

Much appreciated

Sho xx

We came on a 457. Actually, we're still on a 457 but going through the process for sponsored PR now.

We didn't have much of a choice as at the time my wife was needed to begin work because the owner of the company was heavily pregnant. We knew we wanted to stay here but a range of things has stopped us pursuing PR before now. We had very little cash and had never been to Australia before but we are both big risk takers and have a pretty colourful history so it wasn't that much of a big deal for us.

I think a lot of people feel the need to warn people about selling up and loving lock stock believing the 457 is a route to PR. This is something we were prepared to do knowing that if it didn't work out we'd try India, or Turkmenistan or anywhere but the UK.

Your concern may be entirely reasonable and it's a good thing you are concerned but know what you're getting into and enjoy the adventure.

Great advice Straight to the Point!! I love your straight to the point point of view!

Try not to take short term view. You say you want to see if you like the place then you worry becuase of money. Which is more important? You could come here on PR and hate it and all the money in the world would not help you then. Coming over, seeing if you like it and keeping your options open especially in the current economic climate here is perhaps a wiser option than jumping in full guns blazing. If you try to take a long term view of the cash flow then the short term problems will not seem so worrying. So you pay more in the short term but in your favour then is having more flexibility in relation to life decisions. Alternatively as The Bear says above just go for PR now and spend more money to get that. Swings and roundabouts maybe?

Hi Shona, as a nurse on a 457 you are not in a bad position. If you dont like your employer you can ask another 457 SBS to take over your nomination! I have recently just secured PR for some nurses who were on a 457 and were sponsored under the RSMS route. However, come, see if you like it and then worry about lodging PR. DIBP have really hiked the lodgement fees up twice this year, so it is a huge expense if you are not sure you want to remain. Many migrants return after less than 12 months, so come and see what you think. You have SOL1 occupation, so you are currently in a string position

Really good advice from everyone. Thank you all so much.

New Life Down Under, I'm beginning to think I have made the right decision for me and my family. Like you say I am in a strong position with my profession and to be honest think I'll always be needed somewhere!

Thanks for your positive feedback.