Celebrate Perth/WA and dispel the myths

ali

Is it really the most isolated place? I looked it up on Wikki (ok might not be reliable) but they used the closest other city with a population of over 5,000. The nearest city to us with a population over 5,000 is Adelaide 2,104km away. There's a suggestion that Honolulu is actually the most isolated capital being 3,841 km from San Fransisco, whilst Perth is Geographically closer to Jakarta at 3,002km

Also according to some on our sister site you'll only be able to settle here if you are old, boring, form 'up north ..(were anything will be better than what you left), have no ambition, your kids won't do well blah blah.

Well, although i'm probably classed as middle age now (not sure when that happened), and did come from 'up north' we lived in a really nice area, I'm where I want to be career wise and my children are doing really well ... My son is celebrating his Englishness (because it impresses the girls), whilst my daughter has no interest as yet to return to the UK - hoping to explore other parts of the world first.

Like anywhere else in the world, it has it's faults (as people are very quick to point out - but some of us can live with those), so this is a thread to celebrate the place we live.

It doesn't matter what other people think. As long as you're happy, and it sounds as though your family is, who cares!!!

When people say Perth is boring and isolated it actually makes me think I've made the right decision to come to Perth. I want to be more relaxed. I'm sick of rushing. I do everything fast because everyone expects things to be done yesterday. I talk fast, I eat fast, I work fast, I always look for the quickest route from A to B. I'm sick of it. I long to take a bit more time doing things. I can't wait for Wait Awhile. Bring it on I say.

Debs

I think I've been on the forums a little too long Debs - it grinds you down after a while - not the negative stuff as such (there are a lot of frustrations in WA), but it's the generalisations that people make which gets to you after a little. I do like PP for the fact that people do get a good overall picture without the name calling.

Edited by ali

I think I've probably been pretty vocal about my feelings; I feel I belong here in a way that I've never felt before.

There are so many little things about life here that add up to a very comfortable, accessable and satisfying lifestyle. It's precisely those tiny things that, in the UK, really got me down.

There are challenges here - I've just had the worst six months of employment I've ever had to endure in my 42 years, my son still has issues of insecurity that I worry are as a result of our being here, we're still on a temp visa, I have no idea when my Avo tree will fruit etc but the challenges feel so much more managable.

I've said it recently on here too, the people make a huge difference. I've met some great friends and most Australians I've met bring out the best in me.

It doesn't matter what other people think. As long as you're happy, and it sounds as though your family is, who cares!!!

When people say Perth is boring and isolated it actually makes me think I've made the right decision to come to Perth. I want to be more relaxed. I'm sick of rushing. I do everything fast because everyone expects things to be done yesterday. I talk fast, I eat fast, I work fast, I always look for the quickest route from A to B. I'm sick of it. I long to take a bit more time doing things. I can't wait for Wait Awhile. Bring it on I say.

Debs

hear hear Debs, bring it on.....

J x

Debs

Amen to that!!

Ali, you're top class for the effort and help you put into this site. Perth's a great place for all ages but life's what you make it. My daughter of 17 has decided not to come with us and if I'm being honest, it's a hard one to take right now. Totally totally gutted!! But like Debs, this rat race we call life in the UK is not for me and having spent 3 long trips to Perth in the last 4 years.....enough is enough! So you keep up the good work Ali because I for one, really appreciate it! Onwards and upwards! :-)

I think I've been on the forums a little too long Debs - it grinds you down after a while - not the negative stuff as such (there are a lot of frustrations in WA), but it's the generalisations that people make which gets to you after a little. I do like PP for the fact that people do get a good overall picture without the name calling.

Ali, you're top class for the effort and help you put into this site. Perth's a great place for all ages but life's what you make it. My daughter of 17 has decided not to come with us and if I'm being honest, it's a hard one to take right now. Totally totally gutted!! But like Debs, this rat race we call life in the UK is not for me and having spent 3 long trips to Perth in the last 4 years.....enough is enough! So you keep up the good work Ali because I for one, really appreciate it! Onwards and upwards! :-)

Aw Thanks for your kind words. Sorry to hear about your daughter - I hope though that she's on your visa and validating so that if she changes her mind the process will be much easier for her to join you. I don't see emigrating or Perth through rose tinted glasses - it's just that the things that do frustrate me aren't big enough to spoil my enjoyment of the life we're leading. We're happy and content, the kids are happy and content (unless asked to clear the table then become grumpy little so and so's ... actually not so little lol).

Perth gets a beating on PIO sometimes from people who have never been - but we've embraced the move, and the differences and even with a few bumps in the road it's been good for us. If we ever decided to leave, it would be because we were ready for another chapter.

2 weeks in and I can see why people want to live here.

Perth is beautiful and clean, the wildlife is fantastic, the people are kind and welcoming. Although it's isolated by distance, there's nothing you can't get here.

Yes, I can see Perth has some problems, but so does everywhere else in the world. All being well, I can see myself settling here quite easily.

Well, after a year here I love it!! Going back to Uk a few weeks ago reinforced why we came here in the first place. It has issues like everywhere, but its how you deal with them. I know its a cliche but everything does look better when its sunny and we have the ocean to sit beside when things get a little on top of us and we need some inner calm. Everything feels better after an hour at the ocean.

Our kids love it (even our 17 year old!) Our 8 year old has just been accepted into the Australian choir (wouldnt have happened in the uk) and we are looking at houses. I think once we get our own place we will really feel cemented in Perth. People say its the most isolated city. Its a relatively big city and going back to uk and seeing the same people doing the same things (20 years on!!) how big a place do you want?

Some folk dont venture out of their home towns. Just because weve come to Perth to settle doesnt mean we cant be happy just with Perth.

2 weeks in and I can see why people want to live here.

Perth is beautiful and clean, the wildlife is fantastic, the people are kind and welcoming. Although it's isolated by distance, there's nothing you can't get here.

Yes, I can see Perth has some problems, but so does everywhere else in the world. All being well, I can see myself settling here quite easily.

Hello to all on this thread,

Like Redsquare we have been here 10 days today, Perth is a fantastic place there is so much to do and so many wonderful places to see.

We sat having a glass of wine last week, fantastic view of the ocean, kids fishing off the jetty watching dolphins at sea, amazing!!

Yes we have had our ups and downs, but when the sun beams through your window at 6am you want to jump out of bed not curl up again because it is so cold!!!

The pace in perth is slow, but that's one of the reasons we came to try and slow down a bit and enjoy life not run around at 100 mph.

Looking forward to many happy years here.

Lindsay

Guest guest9824

I have had my moments living here, but that's not necessarily anything to do with Perth! Every time we drive down Riverside drive and see the palm trees and the sky line, I say the same thing to my OH 'it's a beautiful city' :cute:...and it is!

Totally agree with what's being said.

we used to live for our holidays in the past. All our money would go on 3/4 hols a year...just so we got a bit of sun or at least no rain if a skiing hol but the main reason was it seemed to be the only time we could properly chill and relax, be able to have the time to sit back and enjoy the surrounds.

now we are living that kinda life permantly , its a slower pace yes but that's what we want and that's what we've got. This morning I was out the door by 7am, not doing a stupid rush time commute but taking my dogs to the beach where I sat and said how lucky am I. Plenty moments like that living here.

so now holidays will be about exploring not for catching our breath

The first day we got here the FIL picked us up from the airport and drove us up the coast road. He said that you go to work for the house and car, all this comes free.

He was completely wrong.

I'm going to work to get the sun, the ocean, the space and the views. The house and car will come free.

I wouldn't worry about the usual suspects on other forums. A lot of them didn't want to come in the first place, and others ended up leaving on sour terms.

I've been here about 2.5 years now.

I didn't come to Perth to raise a family (don't want kids), I'm in my mid 30's, and I don't find it boring. In fact I was coming here 10 years ago for party holidays.

I lived in the Hants/Surrey/Berks borders in the UK. I'd usually take 2 holidays to Europe a year to actually get some sun, but wouldn't head to London often as it was too expensive and crowded. Concerts and shows were occasional and usually only when they went to places like Reading. Weekends were spend inside watching DVDs or going to pub.

Since being here, I've done :-

x2 music festivals

about a dozen concerts

half a dozen comedy shows

x3 V8 race weekends

x2 international Cricket matches

about a dozen AFL games

dozens of wineries and breweries

been out to WaveRock, Albany, Bunbury, Margeret River half a dozen times

headed out to Bali for a quick break.

I've traded a (minimum) 45min car commute with traffic jams, to a 25min walk and train.

I've traded stress for freedom & relaxation. I've swapped being a permi to a contractor.

Earning a lot more has given me nicer stuff. I don't have to count every penny/cent. If i want something I'll buy it.

We have gone from the wife's 2.5 bedroom end of terrace, to a 4x2 10km out the city.

We've swapped a 15 year old Hilux and a 15 year old sporty Merc, for a 2 year old Hilux and a 5 year old sporty HSV.

As it's Friday, I'll wander 5mins from work to a pub and meet a few mates. No issues as I've not got a car parked on a meter, and I can get clean & efficient public transport home.

I work hard, but the rewards are on offer.

Now I've just got to book breaks to go see my mates in Bris and NZ.