WhoooHoo we are Here and Loving It

Candygirl

We arrived on Weds after an eventful second flight. We flew to KL with Malaysia Airlines on an A380 which was an experience, esp with the camera so that you can see take off and landing. Good first flight and would fly with MA again. Second flight, however, from KL to Perth, not so good. Just as we took off, I was violently sick three times, not sure why but needed to change clothes and just could not believe what a start to our adventure. Also, experienced bad turbulence coming into WA, what a welcome Oz!

We arrived in Perth and fearing the worst for Customs, but had no problems. We declared chocs and biccies for friends and were waived through so all in all prob came out of the door 30 mins after landing. Collected hire car and drove to our short term unit in Yokine. Unit is basic, but OK for our first month whilst we find our feet and long term let and very easy to get around and into the city.

The next morning, we drove into the CBD and paid $20 for 4 hours parking (expensive, but we were tired and could not be faffed about with public transport). We managed to register with Tax Office, Medicare and sort everything out with our bank, collected debit cards there and then so felt money well spent for the convenience. That afternoon we started to drive round and after getting lost we went and bought a satnav. Got a Tom Tom for $70 from JB Hi Fi. Also got new mobile phones with Optus and a Dongle. After one day without communication, we could stand it no more.

Been to Spud Shed at Wanneroo today. Wow, what a place. It was like a madhouse, but we found it incredibly cheap and have bought loads. Now have a full fridge and freezer. Also been to Reject Shop, Red Dot and KMart and so far finding it quite reasonable. I think we prepared ourselves for the worst and have been pleasantly surprised.

Spent the last 1 1/2 days driving NOR looking at areas and houses. We have a short list of two areas at the moment. Totally different seeing roads and areas in person and have surprised ourselves with what we have actually liked. We have driven into an area, looked up on realestate, seen what is available and then driven to the property to view from the outside.

Thursday night, we went to Freemantle in the evening for fish and chips. Not as good as previously, but we will wait a while and head back again.

Tomorrow we are heading SOR as we are having dinner with friends in the evening.

Sunday we are off to feed the Roos at Caversham. We need to get a Roo fix.

So far so good. Perth has not changed too much for us and we both feel we have made the right decision and this is our home, even though it has rained every day and has been a bit nip, but we know that will soon change and we will be moaning about the heat. Been picking up local papers and planning our weekends and seem to have things to do well into the future. It has been very hectic, but we have both said, it is only early days, but we feel like we have been here a lot longer. Everyone is incredibly helpful. On our first evening we got lost and a chap in a gas station, got out his maps and pointed us in the right direction and it was no trouble to him at all.

Our container should have left Felixstowe today bound for Singapore and then should switch ships to Freo. Finger's crossed and our goodies will arrive in Freo on 17 November.

Oooroo Lorraine x

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Debs - steak is so cheap here. Bought loads and have stashed in the freezer. Everything is bigger here. They sell whole lambs or the side of a cow. I could not believe the size of the beef joints. I could have jumped on one of them and sailed over here. I will always be a cheapskate. I have registered for a rewards card at Woolies for the discounts and cheap fuel.

My thoughts on NOR. It is beautiful there is no denying it. We went to Joondalup, Edgewater, Padbury, Kingsley, Duncraig, Hilarys, North Beach, Warwick and Carine, Karrinyup and Gwelup. We have Warwick and Karrinyup on our short list and poss Edgewater. Edgewater was stunning and so peaceful near the lake. Although it looks a lovely place to live, we feel it would be too quiet for us, but really nice if you had kids. We are looking for a nice house, but with quite a few amenities. Although Warwick is a less affluent area, it had more of a buzz. At the moment, we really like Karringup/Gwelup. Will see what we think of SOR today.

Have just tried to track the shipping container. Still in Felixstowe. This will be the new obsession checking it each day. Thought we had left the days of constantly checking things behind with TRA and DIAC - obviously not.

We are defo into the Aussie ways, up at 5.00am and in bed by 10pm. No jetlag experienced as yet.

Day 6. It feels like we have been here a lot longer. We have met up with friends in Secret Harbour and had our first Aussie BBQ and I also saw my first Aussie spider, but thankfully it was a tiddler. Unfortunately, I am sure they will get bigger and better.

We have spent the weekend driving round more areas. We have been SOR. Very different feel to the NOR. Although we saw some beautiful properties, we feel the distance to the CBD and the traffic for OH would be too much so we have decided to restrict our search to Zones 1 & 2. We have shortlisted 4 areas around the rivers and have found a lovely property and we are off to the rental agent today to see if we can view it and we are keeping everything crossed that we can secure it as I am afraid we have fallen in love with it from the outside and the location is perfect for the Hooligans for walks along the river.

Observations so far. Perth is huge (we forgot how big it is). Also forgotten how big the portions are over here. We are used to fresh produce in Spain, but have to say the veggies in Oz really taste good. TV, I am lost for words. We will need Foxtel for the winter months that's for sure. We have chatted to a few people who were also migrants who appreciate what we are going through and have been really helpful in offering advice.

We cannot believe the difference in the petrol prices and how they change throughout the day/week. As soon as the sun is up everyone is out jumping, running and generally jigging about. I am sure that will be use one day, just not at the moment!

We love the beaches and parks. The green areas with dog walking areas will be signposted and they also provide doggie bags and bins, which is excellent.

Perth is very clean and green. The rush hour traffic is horrendous. We have seen our first mullet and Hoons, not so good.

Wifi is not that good here. We have been to four Maccas to try to use it and it has never worked and the staff have said, it never does, so a Dongle is a must until you get can a contract. OH needs an Aus driving licence before he can get a contract.

We have shortlisted 4 areas around the rivers and have found a lovely property and we are off to the rental agent today to see if we can view it and we are keeping everything crossed that we can secure it as I am afraid we have fallen in love with it from the outside and the location is perfect for the Hooligans for walks along the river.

So where are you looking?

Congrats with your arrival. Seems a long time ago that I was doing similar (but it was only 2.5 years).

Really interested to follow your discoveries as you make them, so fresh and real!

So where is zone 1 and 2?

What was the different feel you noted SOR?

Was that sarcasm about the Hooligans? I thought it might be someone's profile name, but doubting that now!

Have you visited the hills yet, or planning to?

Thanks Guys.

We have done nothing as yet except sort out paperwork and look at areas and houses. We have been to 3 home openings and have been dumfounded by what people class as acceptable living. We have upped our budget and broadened our search area. We are not looking for a palace, just somewhere comfortable. We have two more home openings today. We went to apply for one house, but it had gone. We can see why, it was beautiful and in an excellent location. If you see something, you need to go in quick and offer to pay rent up front. We have been advised to pay 3 months in advance from friends.

SOR - there are some lovely houses in Waikiki and Warnbro, but we did not appreciate the distance to the City or the traffic, it is quite bad. We have been looking at Bibra Lake, Attadale, Booragoon, Bateman, Willetton and Shelley. Today we are heading slightly NOR since we have upped our budget and going to see if it makes a difference. The home openings are quite strange. You get 10 mins and everyone walks round together. The first property, it was just us. Second and third, both occasions, there were 4 other couples.

We have 3 more weeks in our short term.

Glad you got here eventually. You've done so much already, very organised. Happy house hunting, it's certainly an experience isn't it. One most of us could do without really, but think you do have to be quick if you see something you want. Don't be put off if lots of people turn up to the viewings, most don't apply. I'm sure lots of people have too much time on their hands or are just nosey. We found morning viewings best as most people are at work, but if you go to viewings after 4pm every man and his dog turns up haha.

good luck with it all xx

We have now been here two weeks and we have not stopped. We now have our TFN numbers (I was fed up of waiting so went into the ATO and they printed out the letters for us there and then). We have applied for our Aussie driving licences, should take a week to come through in the post. Still waiting for the Medicare cards to arrive. We have put in an application for a rental in Willetton and are waiting to hear back from the agent. We know that they have contacted our referees so fingers crossed everything should be OK. We have been to visit the Hooligans in quarantine three times now and they seem OK and are back to normal. Although the Q station is basic, it is very clean and the dogs are very well looked after. We are booked in to see them again tomorrow and to take them for a run in the exercise paddock, which they love. We are getting to learn quick, get petrol on a Tues or a Weds and always compare the prices as there is a vast difference between stations. We are finding that eating out can be expensive here, but so far we have not found the supermarkets too bad. We are using Woolies and the Spud Shed. Things work out cheaper if you buy in bulk. It is cheaper to buy a quarter of a cow and cut it up than separate joints and steaks. We cannot believe how helpful people are here. We have been amazed by the generosity of people, i.e. we were looking for a dog beach and just could not find it. We stopped a girl and she was not sure, but she said "hang on, I will call my mate, he will know".

Now for a negative. We are not having a good time with the rental agents and the system here. We quite like the home openings as you can walk in/out without any fuss. If you see a house that is up for rental and you register your interest, don't think for one minute that the agent will let you know when the home opening is. We have learnt quickly to keep checking online and to keep pestering them. Quite often we have been the only ones at the home openings or with a couple of families. The most people we have been with is approx 8 families. Finger's crossed the house we have applied for comes through, we really like the agents as they have been pro-active for us. I am also mindful of the fact that we would need to deal with these people long term and would hate to think what kind of service some of them would offer if you had a house that had flooded or something. I am sure a lot of them would not care one bit. We have been looking up to 600 per week. We have tried to keep our budget low as we want to take things easy for the first few months. This does not get you a lot and standard means old fashioned. One house had the same tiles in the bathroom that we had in ours when I was as kid. A nice trip down memory lane, but what a joke.

Yesterday, we took the day off and went to Yanchep National Park. Beautiful. We saw koalas and Roos and had a Devonshire cream tea (which was a bit strange) but lovely all the same.

We got accepted for our rental in Willetton. We are both relieved to not have to attend another home opening.

Unfortunately, we got the dreaded call from Quarantine today so inform us that Cand, our little terrier, has symptoms of kennel cough, so both girls have been moved to isolation. We cannot wait to get them home to Willetton now.

We got accepted for our rental in Willetton. We are both relieved to not have to attend another home opening.

Unfortunately, we got the dreaded call from Quarantine today so inform us that Cand, our little terrier, has symptoms of kennel cough, so both girls have been moved to isolation. We cannot wait to get them home to Willetton now.

have you found it extra hard securing a rental which will accept dogs, my oh is using it as a mark on the 'against' list for bringing Harry ?

get well soon little pups

J xxx

Our two baby's, are also in isolation, due to catching kennel cough, so much for it being a 'quarantine' centre......grrrrrr!