Hello All and Advice Needed Please!

Bridges

Hi Everyone,

Newbys to the site so still trying to find our way around. A little introduction...We are the Bridge's made up of me (Allie), my husband and our 2 year old son and we currently live in the North West. We are well underway in our move to Perth and have just been called for medicals and police checks - reality is starting to hit home! We are very much looking forward to our adventure but, as many probably are/were, a little scared/nervous about starting all over again. Advice greatly welcome on any settling in techniques!!

We have recently started being contacted by financial companies/advisers and this is something we really know little about - do we really need them??!! We are in the process of getting our house on the market but aren't sure what to do with the money once we sell - do we keep it in a British account or transfer it all across?? Any words of wisdom / useful links would be much appreciated...

Hope some of you can help

Bye for now

x

Hi allie. Welcome to the forum. I am in the same situation as you. Visa submitted. Will be arranging medicals and police checks soon. It's just me and my 6 yr old son migrating. Where in the north west are you. We live in Widnes.

we aren't taking much stuff with us and are crashing with friends until we find our feet. Our house went on the market at the weekend. I plan to use moneycorp to transfer my money for us. I have signed up with them but won't transfer my money until our flights are booked and we have a definite date to move. You don't have to use a financial agent and can just transfer the money yourself. If you have an idea of how much you are taking check out the exchange rate and charges some companies charge. If one charges more to transfer your money but gives you a better rate its worth looking into. Moneycorp come onto this site often to give financial updates on the AUD. hope this helps a bit but I'm sure someone with more knowledge will come along with some advice.

Debs

Hi Debs,

We're in Leigh near Wigan. You sound very brave! I hope all goes well for you and your little one and you settle well. I will have a look in to moneycorp, I have seen the logo a few times! I posted our police checks off today and hope to book the medicals this week, they've given us until the end of the month to get it sorted. It's all very exciting. Let me know how you get on.

Pikester - hope everything goes well for the big move

x

Hi Bridges, we too are in the process we have today been successful with our EOI still a long way to go but I am feeling nervous, we attended a expo seminar in Manchester the other week and spoke to the Bank of Australia who transfer your money over for free waiver the bank fee for the first 12 months if over £30k, bank cards get sorted before you arrive to. Have a look on the website it's http://www.commbankuk.co.uk they seemed good when we spoke to them, good luck and you are round the corner from us we live in

Jen

Hi allie,

We have been here 6 weeks from hindley green, Wigan so just round the corner from you! You will love it here and your little one also, we have a 4 year old little girl who has said she never wants to go back! Haha.

Have had a few wobble days which is to be expected but I would say a good settling in tip is to put yourself out there and try to meet as many people as possible. I have been trying to fill my time as I have been job hunting so have joined a play group for now and do meet ups, it definitely helps.

we will have to meet up when you arrive! Have you any idea where you will be settling? We are in ridgewood at the moment.

bye for now

Elise

Hi Elise,

Thanks for your advice, play groups will definatly be a must! So nice to hear your little one loves it, hopefully ours will too. Glad you're settling in, Im dreading syaing goodbye but we need to do it. I'm expecting I will get bouts of homesickness but hopefully Perth will start to fell like home.

Good luck on the job hunt, I'm sure that will help you to settle in too. Not sure how soon after the move I plan to work but will want to get a job at some point.

I find it so odd that you can go to the other side of the world and meet someone from down the road!! Not sure exactly where we're going to settle yet but most likely northern suburbs. Would love to meet up when we finally get there (if its near enough), you can show us the ropes!!

x

Hi Jen,

Thought I'd replied to you but can't see it on the thread (teething problems!). Not wishing to scare you but I dont think you are that far behind us. We submitted the full visa very soon after the EOI - that was 20th Aug and now were at poice checks and medicals!! Thanks for the info, I will look in to the link. Good luck with the rest of your ap - keep us posted

x