Help, Advice needed - Arriving in Perth in December!

Zena

Hi All, my husband and I arriving to live in a Perth at the end of December. Both in our 30s, no children. We are starting to look at rental properties online, how to get our drivers licenses etc. Any recommendations on which bank to use to transfer our money to, and who to use for shipping our possessions? Also, can anyone give advice on the best steps to take once we arrive? What are the most important things to get sorted first? Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks. Z :smile2:

Hi Zena, Gumtree is a good place to look for rentals, it will give you a good idea of costs, its also great for furniture etc it seems people use it more than ebay over there. For shipping have a look at Movecube Sevenseas. Dont think you can get driving license until you have utility bills as proof but I could be wrong on that one. You`ll need to get your TFN and medicare card once you get there. Good luck, were heading out in Jan, no kids and in our thirties.. Hats off to those who manage it with kids...

I don't think you can mail through Gumtree unless in Australia, I doubt you will be able to secure a rental until you are here in any case.

The agents or landlords like to see the potential tenants face to face.

I got it. That's why I haven't got a single response till now. Flatmates.au is good site, so should rely only on that one now :|

Hi All, my husband and I arriving to live in a Perth at the end of December. Both in our 30s, no children. We are starting to look at rental properties online, how to get our drivers licenses etc. Any recommendations on which bank to use to transfer our money to, and who to use for shipping our possessions? Also, can anyone give advice on the best steps to take once we arrive? What are the most important things to get sorted first? Any advice would be so appreciated! Thanks. Z :smile2:

Check out Realestate.com.au for rental prices.......some of the Gumtree ads are a bit shonky !

Don't worry about driving licences for a couple of months, plus you will need ID you won't have until you are renting like bills.

Priority items are TFN so you get taxed right from the start and Medicare card just in case and is great ID.

Don't forget to bring a few paper copies of your visa grant, you'll need them loads.

Don't use a bank to transfer - we used Moneycorp and set up an account via this forum with John and then you get fee free transfers and there is also a link to set up a NAB account who have been great for us in the last 11 months (no monthly fees).

When you first arrive do the TFN/Medicare and look for work (if you haven't already got something) otherwise just chill, get over the jet lag and explore before getting serious !

For long term (6,12 months) unfurnished rentals -

http://www.realestate.com.au/rent

http://www.domain.com.au/?mode=rent

For short term (weeks) furnished accommodation for when you arrive

http://www.homeaway.com.au/holiday-rentals/australia/r15

http://www.stayz.com.au/

You can also check gumtree for accommodation (as mentioned above) but diligence is required, there's a lot of scams on gumtree.

Banks

You can open an Australian bank account with most of the big banks while you're still in the UK.

nab have a dedicated migrant banking team, have a look at http://migrant.nabgroup.com/en/new-main-landing-page/australia

Shipping, suggest geting 3 or 4 quotes from the major players - John Masons, PSS, crown, Anglo Pacific etc and seeing what the quotes come back at, who you feel most comfortably in going with etc. Remember, you don't need to choose the removals companies insurance which they will try and sell you - that's where they make most of their profit as the margins on the actual shipping are very low. You can arrange your own marine transit insurance with a third part company such as 'Inusre your move' - http://www.insure-your-move.com

Tax file number

You can apply online at https://iar.ato.gov.au/IARWeb/default.aspx?pid=4&sid=1&outcome=1 (once you're actually in Australia)

Medicare

Register at the nearest office. You can find the locations of the offices on this page - http://humanservices.findnearest.com.au/

Guest bengiff

We moved to Perth as permanent residents two weeks ago so I can tell you what we he have done.

I set up a migrant account with westpac before we arrived and our cards were ready and waiting the st George's terrace branch the day we landed and were ready to go. I'd been managing our account from the UK online so money was in there and we had everything ready. With regard to transferring cash we did some with HiFx (they do charge about £9 from memory) and changed some at a promo rate with the post office which we carried with us.

For shipping we used inter dean, although our stuff I yet to ship so I reserve judgement, but they seemed good at the other end.

As soon as we landed we sorted a payg phone to contact home and to be able to give to people here (jobs, real estate agents, etc).

I had a job secured already but my wife had been speaking to a lady named Lauren at Sinclairs recruitment. She moved from Scotland about two years ago so she understands what you're going through! Anyway, she interviewed for a couple of jobs and started work within 8 days of landing.

With regards to somewhere to live, we arranged a short term let for three weeks before arriving and spent the first 10 days In a hotel as it worked out cheaper. We were lucky that our short term is now available long term however we are paying over the odds as my dog and cat are coming it in February. WARNING- if you happen to have a pet, especially a dog rentals are hard to find!

I did however trawl http://www.realestate.com.au and used the app and set up viewings before we arrived. Think very hard about where you are working and how you will travel.

We bought a car cheap from a dealer in Albany Highway to get us started for few months. You get third party insurance as party of the rego (like road tax I guess) so no panic to get that sorted if you don't want. Shop around for petrol- two petrol stations opposite each other in Scarborough charged 5 cents per litre difference!

Get Medicare sorted ASAP- it was very easy, but you will need your passports, visa, and ideally an Australian bank card (hence why it was useful to have it ready) to prove Id. Swapping driving licence is far harder, and you'll need something to show your address (bank letter will suffice) as well as passport, uk driving licence, bank card and another form of Australian ID. We bought a prove your age card for $25 each and that done the trick (takes around a week). Then you get a temp licence no your full one takes a week or so. It costs about $80 to do as well.

If you've got any specific questions drop me a PM and I'll do my best to help while it's still fresh in my mind!

Good luck with the move anyway!

-Get a TFN asap

-Use a transfer agency for money- not a bank

-We went with NAB, did a bit of research at the time, and they seemed like best option.

-We bought a car for 2k in the victoria park area, after you go by all the newer garages there is about 5 second hand dealers that have loads of options. You will be able to bargain with them. Be wary of gumtree for cars.You will need a car asap. GET INSURANCE.

-I would recommend getting a room through air B&B, typically the owner rents a couple of rooms in their home. Usually you pay 2 weeks in advance, no deposit etc, and you leave when you are ready. I would wait until you know where you are working before you decide where you want to live, because getting out of a lease is very costly.

I would also recommend trying Irish around perth accomodation page, especially if you are coming in December. There will be people flying home for a few weeks, and they try to rent their rooms out.

Good luck, enjoy the excitement... but try to do as much research as possible to reduce stress!

Guest bengiff

I guess I should clarify my insurance comment. Unlike back in the UK you are insured third party with the rego and so, unlike in the UK you don't need to panic about fully comp insurance immediately if you don't want to. The driving standard is horrible here though, but the point I was making is that you can drive way, shop around and be legally covered without grabbing the first offer you get just to be legal.