help with deciding suburbs NOR please!

hi we re currently staying in parkwood with family after emigrating 2 weeks ago. we have been north and south of river and so far we absolutely love NOR. Mindarie is so nice! but prob not realistcal affordable option. we need a good high school near, a shop and. would love a pub too! prob looking aroung the plans$600 price range when we buy our first ozzy home, has anyone any suggestions of suburbs to look at? thank you!

hi we re currently staying in parkwood with family after emigrating 2 weeks ago. we have been north and south of river and so far we absolutely love NOR. Mindarie is so nice! but prob not realistcal affordable option. we need a good high school near, a shop and. would love a pub too! prob looking aroung the plans$600 price range when we buy our first ozzy home, has anyone any suggestions of suburbs to look at? thank you!

My advice would be to make sure, try at least, to be within close vicinity of a train station. This city is getting so busy in the northern corridor that having the option of the train, and easy access to it, will be crucial in coming years so if you can get in now to a suitable property then the future will be rosy. Lots of suburbs near schools that fit that bill and many suburbs have their own little group of shops. Pubs persoanlly I would forget them because they are not that common here in the burbs because everyone usually entertains at home. If you want to still carry on the UK lifestyle then I suppose a pub could be important but once you have been here a while you should become more Aussiefied :wink: My guess, based on what you have said, is that you could end up in Butler. Only a guess though but it is the emphasis on the pub that is pushing me down that route :wink:

Curious, how long does it take to get to CBD in train in rush hour from the Mindarie/Quinn's Rock area? What's the closest station Currambine or is there another closer?

I ask as we've been looking at the Duncraig area but I think you get more for your money house (renting) wise that little bit further out.

Train times are on the TransPerth website. It's not long (30mins or so) but then you have to factor in driving to the station, parking usually full by 7am. Cost from the outskirts is about $10 each way I think. I've been told that by the time the early trains get to Stirling, they are pretty much full. So you may actually be better off moving slightly further out if you want to get in early.

NOR - I'd look at Cottesloe, Nedlands, Subiaco, Osbourne Park, Leederville, Mt Lawley, Maylands, Bayswater.

But then I like being close to the city, and places with the old suburb feel.

Curious, how long does it take to get to CBD in train in rush hour from the Mindarie/Quinn's Rock area? What's the closest station Currambine or is there another closer?

I ask as we've been looking at the Duncraig area but I think you get more for your money house (renting) wise that little bit further out.

Clarkson Station serves the Mindarie and Quinns Rock area, less than five minutes away. You will pay more rent in Mindarie and Quinns than you will in Duncraig even though they are both slightly further out. Train takes approximately 40 minutes into CBD from those areas from memory.

Curious, how long does it take to get to CBD in train in rush hour from the Mindarie/Quinn's Rock area? What's the closest station Currambine or is there another closer? I ask as we've been looking at the Duncraig area but I think you get more for your money house (renting) wise that little bit further out.

Don't do it..... Stick with Duncraig.

I totally agree with Bibbs and Greg is spot on, you need the dough, however the original poster likes Mindarie and pubs so I am sticking with my gut feel - they will end up in Butler or similar :wink:

That's just playing the odds, as most end up "up there".

I'd rather have a smaller house, closer to the CBD personally.

$500k will still get you into a lot of neighbourhoods, and that's only old school 250k in GBP. Which wouldn't get you in a reasonable sized house in the SE of England.

Nothing wrong with Butler, it has a pub by the shops, it has parks, it has a pretty lake, it is close to the beach, and it has a train station coming soon, plus its prices are affordable.Please do not let anyone put you off an area view it for yourself and your family.

Have you looked at Quinns, Connelly, Tapping, Burns Beach,Woodvale for your proper english pub. With so many Brits going over to Oz whatever you think you will meet other Brits whatever area you go for, but you will also see lots of South Africans and Italians too.

Pubs tend to be used more at 6-7 pm and most close early esp. during the week .Or go to Joondalup for the pubs and abit of 'life'at the weekend.

Nothing wrong with Butler, it has a pub by the shops, it has parks, it has a pretty lake, it is close to the beach, and it has a train station coming soon, plus its prices are affordable.Please do not let anyone put you off an area view it for yourself and your family.

Just read back over all this thread and do not think any of us on here are saying there is anything wrong with Butler. It is what it is..... and it is as you say more affordable than some locations. Totally agree with what you say that everyone has to view places and make their own decisions however there are certain factors affecting this city that need to be considered when deciding on a suburb including where folk work in relation to their homes, paying more for somewhere that makes your overall lifestyle easier or reduces your other overheads, liking new or old and so on and so on. Butler has a huge thing going for it, and that is the new rail station, so has to come into a lot of folks calculations that's for sure.

OK, stttp, just sometimes reading threads it appears there is something wrong saying "high" north suburbs are nice places to live.

I agree with little info it is difficult to know old v new ? lifestyle ? overheads ? want to live close to the city? however travelling in to the city making assumptions the job is there means train or car but lots do it on a daily basis and enjoy the drive or read on the train and do not mind the cost <me included when I am there>. with $600k to buy there are a number of subs to choose from and I can vouch for Mindarie if something comes on the market , the Boat pub, the Marina, Basils within the shops . good luck

oh really ?? see you one sunday..

Yeah we have been up that way even before the Indy was there and Mindarie Marina was nothing more than a remote outpost on the map :wink: There used to be another pub on the corner, just as you approach The Indy from the small car park next to the harbour hut / office. Never can remember the name of the place but it was a real pub with no airs and graces. Indy is a week day place for me after the beach wanders.

We live in Kinross, and our two youngest kids go to Kinross College, the eldest will be going to Mindarie Senior College next yr.

They've both done well at the college, and I know it hasn't got the best rep but if you support your kids and help them achieve they're best then any school will do what it intends to do and that's teach your child. There has been some trouble between kids at the college and kids from Clarkson High, my kids came home on the two occasions it happened and told me about it and then proceeded to tell me how ridiculous it all is. We have been in Kinross for the past 5 and half yrs, we have been happy, especially in our present house which we've been in for 4 of those yrs, it has everything we could need, a train at Currambine IGA 30 mins from the city and close access to the freeway. I am 20 mins by car to my place of work at Warwick, my husband is 40 mins by car to his place of work at Bassendean. I must admit if I could afford an older area I would've gone for it in the first place, but at the time money was an issue and we had no idea which school was good or bad. We are all very happy where we are for the time being. I wish you luck with all your decisions you make for you and your family. :)

It is so hard to decide where to buy and settle when you first arrive in Perth. Have you considered perhaps renting for 6 months in the area you choose, to make sure that it is right for you and your family?