What did/do you expect Perth to be like

ali

Over the years on the forums one of the things that gets mentioned a lot in posts is that "it's not like the UK" ... I just wondered what people expected/expect Perth to be like and what has surprised them. We always had it in our head that this would be a different country with different ways, and whilst we hadn't visited Perth, we'd visited Sydney, Brisbane and Cairns, so knew we weren't moving to England with sunshine (another well used forum phrase).

For me, I think Perth reminds me a little more of America than the UK, I'm glad it isn't like the UK, not that I don't like the old country, but we wanted to experience a different way of life in a different country.

So - really interested in what people expected/expect and how it's been. I know everyone can experience the same set of circumstances in differing ways - so all experiences are valid and accepted.

Edited by ali

I expected it to be flatter, dustier and more compact.

At the moment it's really quite lush and green, I guess things will change in summer. The distances between places are quite far, nipping out to the shops requires a car.

The housing is as I expected, though I'm not a fan of new build houses and the outside space they provide.

I was expecting a little more sunshine :wink: but I have been reliably informed (& warned too) that it will be here soon enough!

We came with an open-mind but hoped it wasn't a mini UK as we wanted something different - we are glad that (so far) it hasn't been like that!

The fact that it gets pitch dark around 6.30pm has taken some getting used to but the beautiful mornings more than make up for it :jiggy:

Not as hot as it was the first Christmas we were here, haha, December 2007, we had our first 40 degrees, the Boxing Day was even hotter at 44 degrees, now that was the biggest shock ever!! We had only even here 2 weeks at that time. And I'll be honest 40 degrees 6 yrs on still is hard to deal with, but we do!

:)

I was expecting a little more sunshine :wink: but I have been reliably informed (& warned too) that it will be here soon enough!

We came with an open-mind but hoped it wasn't a mini UK as we wanted something different - we are glad that (so far) it hasn't been like that!

The fact that it gets pitch dark around 6.30pm has taken some getting used to but the beautiful mornings more than make up for it :jiggy:

It's only dark at 6.30pm in winter ...as spring comes then summer it gets dark much later

when I first visited I did not like the suburb after suburb after suburb look with the tin roofs when driving on the main routes.seemed very bland, and so many new houses being built. I thought Perth city had so little shops. so much sand everywhere,so many water hoses just for a bit of green,but now...

I see the beauty of the place and pinch myself that I will live there.

however having lived in America I do not feel it is like there or like the uk , as with everything it depends where you live and your lifestyle. Perth has its own style , it comes with the sunshine and with people who mostly what want to get something different out of life.

But the tv <i am to old to go surfing etc> ugh. and christmas is different however hard you try to enjoy it , and you really have to embrace Australia day I think that is the real xmas day that us brits can relate to.

It's only dark at 6.30pm in winter ...as spring comes then summer it gets dark much later

But no matter what time of year you don't get that lingering dusk, it goes from day to night in the space of around 30 minutes.

As has been said I didn't realise the would be hills and the influence of American culture was a surprise for me too. I didn't expect for there to be so much wealth here, such ostentatious housing and so many Ferrari's and Lamborghini's cruising past my front door every weekend.

But no matter what time of year you don't get that lingering dusk, it goes from day to night in the space of around 30 minutes.

As has been said I didn't realise the would be hills and the influence of American culture was a surprise for me too. I didn't expect for there to be so much wealth here, such ostentatious housing and so many Ferrari's and Lamborghini's cruising past my front door every weekend.[/quote

Yes lots of wealth but also a lot of poverty