Anyone recently (this year) transport a Cat to Oz?

KGB

Hey,

I know there are other threads on transporting pets, but looking for some up to date information. We hope to move by next June at the latest. However I have read that our Cat would have to wait 5 mths from the date of his blood tests before he can go. So we need to getting move in terms of all his shots and doc's etc. However if anything happened and we couldn't go by June, is there any deadline by which his tests would become invalid?

Also, whats the general feeling out there.......use a pet shipping company or do it ourselves?

:confused:

HI KGB..... we're in the same boat just now and have just had our two cats blood tests taken yesterday for the RNAT. It is a real minefield taking a pet we are finding out, but I think I have almost got my head around it so we will probably do a lot of it ourselves and just bring a company in to organise the flight, vet sealing and paperwork at the airport etc. There is a BIG question mark over the quarantine facilities at Perth being open (I was told they didn't open until June this year after having been shut due to bush fire risks) so most companies I have spoken to about the flight have said it is best to book them into Sydney and then, after the 30 days quarantine, to fly them on an internal flight to Perth (as if it wasn't enough money just getting them there in the first place!!)

The positive blood test has to have been taken 180 days before the cats can leave quarantine so most people have it done at least 5 months before the cats leave the UK so that they just have to pay for the minimum 30 days in quarantine. I think the blood test result is valid for a year though so if you left a month or two after June next year then it would still be valid I believe. After a year you have to have the test repeated. I guess it therefore depends on how sure you are that you will be in Australia within that year of validity........

I phoned the DAFF in Carlisle (I think it's Carlisle anyway!) and the lady I spoke to was really helpful and made me feel very much that it is something I could do myself without paying a company to organise EVERYTHING for me (I will be leaving certain things to the professionals though!!) I also have a fab local vet who has just had training on the export of pets so she is really good for advice too.

I hope all that makes sense. I am not an expert but happy to share what I have found out so far.....

Guest guest10912
Hey,

I know there are other threads on transporting pets, but looking for some up to date information. We hope to move by next June at the latest. However I have read that our Cat would have to wait 5 mths from the date of his blood tests before he can go. So we need to getting move in terms of all his shots and doc's etc. However if anything happened and we couldn't go by June, is there any deadline by which his tests would become invalid?

Also, whats the general feeling out there.......use a pet shipping company or do it ourselves?

:confused:

You don't have to move bang on after the rabies tests are completed, so there would be no issue if you delay your move. Once you have had the cats vaccinated for rabies, you would just keep up the booster jabs and that is all that is required. The booster would be required a year later, so you could delay your move for up to a year and even loger if you get the booster done. If you miss the booster date, you would need to start again.

I wouldn't do it five months before your planned date, I would go for about 7 months before just to get it out of the way, you will have enough to do in the immediate run up without trips to the vets and blood tests.

Due to our incompetent local vets practice we have just been caught out by the rabies rnatt test results for our two dogs having just lapsed their 12 month limit!! Now got to wait another five months before they can be shipped out:(

So, the moral of the story is, yes, it is 180 days after the rabies blood test before they can enter Australia with a minimum of 30 days in Australian quarantine and whatever you do make sure the blood test do not go past a 12 month period.

Also, we keep hearing rumours that Perth quarantine will be closed for good?

Yes, I heard that Perth might not open the quarantine facilities again (eg. they will be shutting it for good)..... and that all quarantine will eventually be through Sydney ONLY...... don't know if or when that will happen but it is something to bear in mind and factor into costs as an internal flight for pets will cost a few hundred dollars. We're preparing ourselves for a flight into Sydney (for the cats that is, not us!!) and a relocation to Perth after the 30 day quarantine just to be on the safe side.

A few other things we've been advised of, apparently you can take your pets as luggage on internal flights ,so it's cheaper for the owner to fly to Sydney collect themselves and return? And, there's a super quarantine being built in Melbourne and all pets will go thru there from 2015?

Not sure how true these are as we haven't looked into further yet, so don't shoot the messenger if you get caught trying to smuggle a cat into a plane!!

HI KGB..... we're in the same boat just now and have just had our two cats blood tests taken yesterday for the RNAT. It is a real minefield taking a pet we are finding out, but I think I have almost got my head around it so we will probably do a lot of it ourselves and just bring a company in to organise the flight, vet sealing and paperwork at the airport etc. There is a BIG question mark over the quarantine facilities at Perth being open (I was told they didn't open until June this year after having been shut due to bush fire risks) so most companies I have spoken to about the flight have said it is best to book them into Sydney and then, after the 30 days quarantine, to fly them on an internal flight to Perth (as if it wasn't enough money just getting them there in the first place!!)

The positive blood test has to have been taken 180 days before the cats can leave quarantine so most people have it done at least 5 months before the cats leave the UK so that they just have to pay for the minimum 30 days in quarantine. I think the blood test result is valid for a year though so if you left a month or two after June next year then it would still be valid I believe. After a year you have to have the test repeated. I guess it therefore depends on how sure you are that you will be in Australia within that year of validity........

I phoned the DAFF in Carlisle (I think it's Carlisle anyway!) and the lady I spoke to was really helpful and made me feel very much that it is something I could do myself without paying a company to organise EVERYTHING for me (I will be leaving certain things to the professionals though!!) I also have a fab local vet who has just had training on the export of pets so she is really good for advice too.

I hope all that makes sense. I am not an expert but happy to share what I have found out so far.....

Thanks so much for the detailed reply Poxonfamily. I have spent the weekend looking into it and yes I think with the help of our very capable local vet we will handle most of it ourselves and then employee the experts for the actual flight and finally doc and vets checks.

I really hope Perth is open as I hate the thought of him being the other side of the country if things go wrong! But yes, its good to be prepared for the extra costs.

We would be grateful if you could update the thread with any fresh or differing info that you may come across along the way and we will do the same.....best of luck with all the planning :biggrin:

A few other things we've been advised of, apparently you can take your pets as luggage on internal flights ,so it's cheaper for the owner to fly to Sydney collect themselves and return? And, there's a super quarantine being built in Melbourne and all pets will go thru there from 2015?

Not sure how true these are as we haven't looked into further yet, so don't shoot the messenger if you get caught trying to smuggle a cat into a plane!!

LOL Bugsyburrell, Our cat is one crazy little dude! I can not imagine ever being able to 'smuggle' him onto a plane!!! As for taking him as luggage....emmm we took him to the vets on a bus once, not an experience we or the good people of Bristol ever want to experience again :laugh: