Changing Plugs

Jim Shorts

Re the legality, have a look at http://www.commerce.wa.gov.au/energysafety/Content/Consumers/Safe_use_of_electricity/index.htm

Under power cords / extension cords it does say ..."Although it is legal to connect your own plugs to flexible cords" , so I guess that's a yes.

Personally, I'd be inclined to change the plugs as opposed to using travel adaptors as many travel adaptors only have a low maximum load rating.

I bought about 2 dozen plugs in Bunnings and did everything I could. Only a few 'powerpack' types couldn't be done.

I then sent back about a dozen UK extension multi plugs as we didn't need them anymore.

Only issue is the plugs are not fused like the UK.

Thanks Bibbs....are the wire colours the same as the Uk ie Blue is neutral, Green & Yellow is Earth etc..... might give it a go, but I don't want to blow anything up if there's no fuse! I presume the circuit breaker will stop that.

Cheers

Thanks Bibbs....are the wire colours the same as the Uk ie Blue is neutral, Green & Yellow is Earth etc..... might give it a go, but I don't want to blow anything up if there's no fuse! I presume the circuit breaker will stop that.

Cheers

Same colours, but (you may laugh) the plugs are upside down ..

I used to remember, looking at the back of a UK plug with earth at the bottom, it was bRown / Red on the right, and bLue or bLack on the Left.

It's the opposite here I think. But each plug has a little leaflet and diagram.

Some plugs go straight in from behind, so if you are making an extension, make sure you have the right end of the cable (so the wires don't need to cross each other). If you need to fold one over the other to get them pointing the right way, it's the wrong end, try the other.

And yeah, most houses should have a breaker (RCD!?). A lot of extension cables have them too. You can even get wall sockets with them now.

We havent changed ours over yet and have been using the adapters.

Recently i have had two items fail on me, and they are the ones we use the least, the ipod dock and a stick blender. Tried the converter plugs on other items and they worked fine. Have the items reallly broken or have the converters shorted them somehow? Just a bit puzzled as items we use on a daily basis have had no issues!