svq to aqf

bwatt99

Probably asked this years ago cant believe im asking it again,even read an old post on another forum that coming to oz from uk as a pipefitter they jump at you to have you on there jobs,not the case for me.

This is what im asking again, i know its not needed but honestly it may help me or is it just getting your feet in the door and then ok.

Hi guys been in oz now almost 5 months and not had a job yet,Im a pipefitter by trade in the uk,trained for over three years with a well known company back in the uk as a trainee both on and offshore job training.

I was over in oz 2004 traveling and found it easy to get work in my title as a pipefitter.

And yes i have heard they are big into the AQF,but with me having a svq level 3 in pipefitting and yes its not a trade in oz but is in the uk,i thought i have no issues.

Well have had one or two knocks backs due to this and some just saying not busy,one employer i thought finally getting a start called me to ask a few questions asked what i did/title and then said is this aqf,i said no its uk qualifiation svq.The call must have lasted less than a min and said sorry cant give you a job.

I need advice to get the aqf.

To be honest i think this is crap and depends on how desperate they are for guys.

Maybe this is why im not getting anything upto now and there are certain cards or courses i maybe should have had that may have helped with getting some jobs.

I have even been told got a great resume etc from some who have seen it.

But to be honest with having been doing this over 20yrs been onshore and offshore and having svq i thought no worries and i also have been told by some people in the indusrty i not stick for work with a resume like i have.

Things have not went the way i thought it be since arriving and it does not help you settling in to a new country or getting to love the place,i have always loved oz and it was always a place i wanted to be or live and i made the big move,really now wished i had not.

Now i need to know if i decide to go this route is how does one as a pipefitter with a svq level 3 get the aqf?

The svq is more or less the same,is there companies or places out there who transfer this into a aqf?

I believe a pipefitter is not a trade in oz and is in the uk so how can you get a aqf if its not a trade,lol

What i cant understand is i know of a company back in uk who is looking for guys and there client from oz yes oz, whoever that is, would like to get some good guys on there job?How do they get these jobs they have uk qualifcations?and im already in oz they are not and the client is paying for there travel back and forth.

I also did do a job for about a week not my own work though and there was guys who was on there who did what i done for over 20yrs,and to be honest what i found was many did not have a clue on anything i did years ago it was all new to them,im not saying where this was or state etc but it sure annoyed me knowing these guys are working on these jobs and guys like me with the experience and knowledge and trained cant.

Ok rant over but if anyone could point me in the right direction on the sqv to aqf thing would be great as this maybe an onging issue for me,thats if i decide to stay as right now,i feel like returning after finding it so hard to break into,get foot in door and back in uk hardy out of work.

Probably asked this years ago cant believe im asking it again,even read an old post on another forum that coming to oz from uk as a pipefitter they jump at you to have you on there jobs,not the case for me.

This is what im asking again, i know its not needed but honestly it may help me or is it just getting your feet in the door and then ok.

Hi guys been in oz now almost 5 months and not had a job yet,Im a pipefitter by trade in the uk,trained for over three years with a well known company back in the uk as a trainee both on and offshore job training.

I was over in oz 2004 traveling and found it easy to get work in my title as a pipefitter.

And yes i have heard they are big into the AQF,but with me having a svq level 3 in pipefitting and yes its not a trade in oz but is in the uk,i thought i have no issues.

Well have had one or two knocks backs due to this and some just saying not busy,one employer i thought finally getting a start called me to ask a few questions asked what i did/title and then said is this aqf,i said no its uk qualifiation svq.The call must have lasted less than a min and said sorry cant give you a job.

I need advice to get the aqf.

To be honest i think this is crap and depends on how desperate they are for guys.

Maybe this is why im not getting anything upto now and there are certain cards or courses i maybe should have had that may have helped with getting some jobs.

I have even been told got a great resume etc from some who have seen it.

But to be honest with having been doing this over 20yrs been onshore and offshore and having svq i thought no worries and i also have been told by some people in the indusrty i not stick for work with a resume like i have.

Things have not went the way i thought it be since arriving and it does not help you settling in to a new country or getting to love the place,i have always loved oz and it was always a place i wanted to be or live and i made the big move,really now wished i had not.

Now i need to know if i decide to go this route is how does one as a pipefitter with a svq level 3 get the aqf?

The svq is more or less the same,is there companies or places out there who transfer this into a aqf?

I believe a pipefitter is not a trade in oz and is in the uk so how can you get a aqf if its not a trade,lol

What i cant understand is i know of a company back in uk who is looking for guys and there client from oz yes oz, whoever that is, would like to get some good guys on there job?How do they get these jobs they have uk qualifcations?and im already in oz they are not and the client is paying for there travel back and forth.

I also did do a job for about a week not my own work though and there was guys who was on there who did what i done for over 20yrs,and to be honest what i found was many did not have a clue on anything i did years ago it was all new to them,im not saying where this was or state etc but it sure annoyed me knowing these guys are working on these jobs and guys like me with the experience and knowledge and trained cant.

Ok rant over but if anyone could point me in the right direction on the sqv to aqf thing would be great as this maybe an onging issue for me,thats if i decide to stay as right now,i feel like returning after finding it so hard to break into,get foot in door and back in uk hardy out of work.

Not sure if this is what you are after, but you can get your Uk qualifications assessed and then recognised as an Aussie qualification. I'm just doing it at the moment as I am thinking of doing a course, so they told me first thing is to get your qualifications recognised here. Go to http://www.migration.wa.gov.au/oqu, go to the bit where it says apply for a skills assessment and register, then send all the info off. It's not like a skills assessment for a trade like TRA/VETASSESS, it's for all the other qualifications I think and it's FREE to get assessed. I've got an NVQ level 3 in business admin and I think it equates to a level 4 here, but will find out when they assess me. Think it takes up to 4 weeks though, and the course has to have been a 2 year long course I think.

Hope this helps, I know how hard it is. You just need a break.

• 1 month later...
Guest ozpom82

Hi I'm just going through a similar problem myself.

I'm a mechanical fitter, and employers

Are asking me if I have an Australian recognised trade.

What this means, is they want me to get

Assessed again by TRA, but this time they will present me with an australian certificate. As opposed to a letter verifying my trade.

This costs $1000, and can take 90 days. Look it up, it's called ARTC. This applies to all metal workers and electricians I think.

Please note some trades have to also carryout a practical assessment. another $1000

Regards

Leigh