Childhood memories

ali

I was reading the mail on-line I like looking at pics of abandoned buildings etc., and came across this article about public swimming baths (one from the town I was born in). http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2476434/Swimming-urban-decay-Eerie-images-Britains-forgotten-pools-left-derelict-Victorian-golden-age-public-bathing.html

Being of a certain age, I remember going for swimming lessons to public baths (before sports stadiums) were the dressing rooms were around the pool. Our local pool had 2 pools the 'duck pond' and the 'big pool' which you only went in if you were older (at that time older meant being a teen lol).

The thread isn't about pools as such, just things you've seen/read etc., that's triggered some memories.

Guest guest9824

I remember everything being soooo big when I was a kid. School felt huge, our semi detached did and the garden. On visiting them when I was in my late thirties, they are really quite small, even our family home that housed six of us, not sure how we fit in it!

The corner shop, and the half penny mix bag, you got loads of sweets for 10p Sherbet and a licorice stick!

The pop man, used to come round selling Cream Soda and other pop and you got a 5p back on the empty bottle!

The smell of real Christmas trees. As a kid, the house would be full of the smell of real pine trees at Christmas.

Easter time, we used to boil eggs and paint them and put them in a local competition. Caramac eggs!

Six of us being in a Ford Cortina with no seat belts, all the windows wound up, and mum and dad smoking away!

Memories......

I went fishing with the kids and a friend this morning. We were under the Narrows Bridge and it was great, pulled in a load of horrid Blowies and some Bream but it's the first time we've been and the kids really enjoyed it, as did I. (Can you spot the dolphin below?)

IMG_1757.jpg

IMG_1760.jpg

The thing is, it worried me that I might be turning into my dad. He loved fishing and I remember being keen to go with him but getting bored within a nano second of arrival.

My dad was a very keen fly fisherman. He used to tie his own flies. Every time I ever went with him the trip was cut short by me falling in river being wet and very cold.

Use to come home from school and he use to have chicken feathers boiling in a bucket on the cooker dying them the colours he wanted. The smell of that haunts me ewwwwwwww. How my mother let him do that in the kitchen is beyond me.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest guest9824
My dad was a very keen fly fisherman. He used to tie his own flies. Every time I ever went with him the trip was cut short by me falling in river being wet and very cold.

Use to come home from school and he use to have chicken feathers boiling in a bucket on the cooker dying them the colours he wanted. The smell of that haunts me ewwwwwwww. How my mother let him do that in the kitchen is beyond me.

Just reminded me Elfie, how you remember smells from your childhood....I can remember my mum making Tripe and onions for my dad...eeeewwwww, can still smell it boiling away in a big pan, he used to sit and eat it with mashed potate.....yuckkkkkkk!!!

As six years in I'm still suffering PTSD I have to be in a very stable state of mind before allowing myself a trip down memory lane. Freo does remind me of my beloved Southampton, if I had about another couple of million I could afford to live there and probably wouldn't feel so far from civilisation as I know it.

Guest guest9824
As six years in I'm still suffering PTSD I have to be in a very stable state of mind before allowing myself a trip down memory lane. Freo does remind me of my beloved Southampton, if I had about another couple of million I could afford to live there and probably wouldn't feel so far from civilisation as I know it.

Greg :sad:, I feel for you. Been to Southampton, to the marina once, took the long trip south from the north for a wedding, its very nice down that neck of the woods, I can understand why you miss it! :sad: Im sure you are in a stable frame of mind, well probably more stable than me, :wacko:but thats probably not saying much!

Been to a couple of home openings here where they had the same tiles that we had in our bathroom as a kid in the 70's:eek:

1/2 penny chews. I would get 20p for sweets and I thought I was rich as I could buy so many chews for that.

Watched an old episode of Alf Garnet the other night - you cannot believe what they used to get away with.

Greg :sad:, I feel for you. Been to Southampton, to the marina once, took the long trip south from the north for a wedding, its very nice down that neck of the woods, I can understand why you miss it! :sad: Im sure you are in a stable frame of mind, well probably more stable than me, :wacko:but thats probably not saying much!

Gunwharf Quays in Portsmouth is way better than Southamptons' Ocean Village marina anyday ;-)

Guest guest9824
childhood memories abound tonight- just watching a programme about kids top 50 programmes- Bagpuss, Trumpton and The Flumps to name but a few :-)

aahhh happy days!

J x

Chorlton and the Wheelies was my fav.....

and Michael Benteens Potty Time ( he was truly whacky) !

Puff and Snuff,

The Double Deckers,

Why Don't You,

How!,

The Tomorrow People.

Stingray (spin off of thunderbirds)

(Think some of these will be before your time J)

I was flicking through the TV channels not long ago looking for something to watch and came across the Beverley hillbillies. Thought I'd watch that because I used to love it when I was a kid. But when I put the channel on there was something wrong with the colour. Then I realised it was in BLACK AND WHITE!!! I thought 'that can't be right'. Surely I'm not old enough to have watched black and white TV. So I asked my mum, and yep, the earlier episodes were black and white. No more channel surfing for me. I'll just stick to reading my books lol

Debs