The biggest bonus for me moving to Aus has been .....

ali

the quality of our family time we've achieved. Whilst we've also had some materialistic gains, when I think about our move to Aus this would be our biggest bonus. I appreciate that some of that would be the children getting older, but our lifestyle here lends itself to being together more. In summer, we'll always eat outside, our dinners are long and the kids sit with us for hours after dinner, talking/laughing. A couple of winters ago we bought a fire pit - which meant that even on cold weekend nights our little ritual persisted.

For those already here - what's been the biggest bonus?

For those looking to arrive - are there things you hope for?

For me it has to be quality family time together be it at home, down the beach fun in the park, the smile on my 6 year daughters face is magic shes doing so well in school has made the national squad for gymnastics we have only been here 6 months but shes come on so much since we have been here.

We didn't come here to make big money but our standard of living has improved so much one just my husbands income and its not of the big bucks and we are still able to save whilst still treating ourselves something we could hardly do in the uk even with 2 incomes. But deffo the main thing for me is the quality family time together.

Guest guest9824

Everything you have said Ali about family time, and time with my extended family too, which I have missed being in the Uk away from them. I feel alive when I'm swimming in the pool looking up at a vast clear blue sky with parrots and laurakeets flying overhead, the radio playing, glass of something chilled at the side of the pool and something tasty (burning) :wink: On the barby! Friends and family spending hot summer days with us, that feeling of 'holiday mode' even though we have been here quite a long time now, but we can escape in the backyard....that's the bonus!

Freedom, security and the opportunities for creative endeavours for the kids. I think there is greater flexibility in the education system here and less means testing and that is a very good thing as far as I'm concerned. I'm sure it will not always be so but at such a crucial time in my children's education it's great that they are exploring so much more than academic subjects.

Edited by portlaunay

It's good to read that others are experiencing the same things we are, we've been having the same "we're so glad we moved here" conversation every Saturday night for almost 7 years now ... and it's always the 'little things' that are making us thankful.

Guest BARONESSBOBO

My husband and I emigrated to Perth back in September 2001 . It was a VERY impulsive decision.We had been in Perth as part of 3 months travel in America and Australia+New Zealand in 1998/99 and 2000 Escaping the poor climate in British Isles . My homeland was CORNWALL and my husband hailed from DUBLIN.We had lived in Dublin since 1971.Our two children were aged 25yrs and 22yrs when we applied for the Retirees 410 VISA

We had friends (ex neighbours in Dublin)who had come over in 1989 and another couple from my village in Cornwall who also emigrated in 1989.This was a great help in settling.

Actually it is not at all difficult to meet new people if open to participating/joining various groups.Much easier for me than settling into life in Ireland!

My Main reason for joining this group is to discover any other Cornish people living here.There are MANY Brits/Poms from the North especially but I have yet to come across any fellow Cornish born and bred.

This may go on......

I have always had goals,my partner Anne has always just chilled and let life take its course. Talk about opposites attract we couldn't be more different!

I have always planned things,got a trade,a good trade and for the last 20 years it has paid for me to have a good life, nice homes and paid for my vice.....nice cars.

But being in manual work sometimes (in fact a lot of the time) takes it's tole. You work 60 hrs a week and don't even realise or think its unusual. It becomes the norm.

You have dreams and as you get older some of them become reality....I always dreamt of a "chocolate box" cottage,got that. I always wanted to walk into a nice car garage and buy a nice car for cash,got that. I always wanted to work for myself and be my own boss,got that.

and you know what I now have a bigger house and 2 nice cars on the drive......when does it end.

It ended for me just under a year ago 7/11/12 @ 2.46 in the morning......Anne gave me a gorgeous little boy and everything changed then.

I realised I wasn't happy with all this material bollox,it meant nothing,it means nothing!

All I want now is to earn a few quid to give us a nice home and feed us. I want to watch my boy grow up,in OZ where we can spend time doing things together and when he's old enough and talks with a funny accent I will know that I have spent some great times with him and his mum :cute:

Edited by 7cdb
I blame the I pad !!!

We have only been here 5 months but seeing our youngest grow in confidence doing so much more by himself climbing things he wouldn't before and talking to other kids he would never do before unless hanging on to his brothers coat tails has been amazing and I put it down to spending much more time outdoors ( even in Perths winter) and having more opportunity to mix with other kids. Our weekends are so busy it's brilliant and we can't wait to go camping in two weeks and not have to pack for every season!

Lou

I have absolutely loved reading this thread and the replies. I've wanted to go back to Oz to live for over 12 years (after backpacking) and all of the things you have all mentioned are the reasons why.

I have never met a partner who has wanted to do it and have planned my move over the last 12 months based upon me travelling alone but it hasn't put me off. Like an idiot I recently met someone who knew what I was planning and was up for considering it, but............................................things have just taken a turn.

I have just been offered a job in Perth within the same industry as I currently work, the wages aren't too bad and I (we) could certainly live on it.

However my partner would not want to move so quickly and wants to wait a year or two. She would have to apply for her own visa (she is a primary school teacher), and unfortunately a local couple who have just returned from 'emigrating and living' in Perth (for 6 months !!!) have given her their horror story about how they didn't like it so the worries & concerns have crept in.:arghh:

I've learnt not to listen to people who have their own horror stories as their experiences do not affect my life and I am big and ugly enough to live my own horror story (should the very worst happen) but I am a person that likes to give things a chance and certainly wouldn't be arriving back after 6 months if there was no over riding need to do so.

I've got friends in Perth who are a year in, my mates Wife is homesick but is adamant they have made the right move, the kids and my mate love it for all the reasons you have all stated.

I have a friend in Adelaide who I contacted this week to see how he was, 3 years in, his second paragraph started with, "we are loving it and never going back to the UK if we can help it".

Right, I think I best sign that contract of employment and get things moving :biggrin:

I have absolutely loved reading this thread and the replies. I've wanted to go back to Oz to live for over 12 years (after backpacking) and all of the things you have all mentioned are the reasons why.

I have never met a partner who has wanted to do it and have planned my move over the last 12 months based upon me travelling alone but it hasn't put me off. Like an idiot I recently met someone who knew what I was planning and was up for considering it, but............................................things have just taken a turn.

I have just been offered a job in Perth within the same industry as I currently work, the wages aren't too bad and I (we) could certainly live on it.

However my partner would not want to move so quickly and wants to wait a year or two. She would have to apply for her own visa (she is a primary school teacher), and unfortunately a local couple who have just returned from 'emigrating and living' in Perth (for 6 months !!!) have given her their horror story about how they didn't like it so the worries & concerns have crept in.:arghh:

I've learnt not to listen to people who have their own horror stories as their experiences do not affect my life and I am big and ugly enough to live my own horror story (should the very worst happen) but I am a person that likes to give things a chance and certainly wouldn't be arriving back after 6 months if there was no over riding need to do so.

I've got friends in Perth who are a year in, my mates Wife is homesick but is adamant they have made the right move, the kids and my mate love it for all the reasons you have all stated.

I have a friend in Adelaide who I contacted this week to see how he was, 3 years in, his second paragraph started with, "we are loving it and never going back to the UK if we can help it".

Right, I think I best sign that contract of employment and get things moving :biggrin:

Congratulations on the job offer - great news. We again (must be the wine) had our "glad we moved here' conversation last night - I think it must be because I read so many posts on here and other sites. Good luck

This may go on......

I have always had goals,my partner Anne has always just chilled and let life take its course. Talk about opposites attract we couldn't be more different!

I have always planned things,got a trade,a good trade and for the last 20 years it has paid for me to have a good life, nice homes and paid for my vice.....nice cars.

But being in manual work sometimes (in fact a lot of the time) takes it's tole. You work 60 hrs a week and don't even realise or think its unusual. It becomes the norm.

You have dreams and as you get older some of them become reality....I always dreamt of a "chocolate box" cottage,got that. I always wanted to walk into a nice car garage and buy a nice car for cash,got that. I always wanted to work for myself and be my own boss,got that.

and you know what I now have a bigger house and 2 nice cars on the drive......when does it end.

It ended for me just under a year ago 7/11/12 @ 2.46 in the morning......Anne gave me a gorgeous little boy and everything changed then.

I realised I wasn't happy with all this material bollox,it meant nothing,it means nothing!

All I want now is to earn a few quid to give us a nice home and feed us. I want to watch my boy grow up,in OZ where we can spend time doing things together and when he's old enough and talks with a funny accent I will know that I have spent some great times with him and his mum :cute:

Awesome attitude. There should be a Sunday Times Rich List for people like you. You must be the wealthiest man alive. :cool: