How difficult is it to get a job in the South West or Peel regions

Tracey T

Hi everyone we are hoping to move down under March or April time. My husband is our main applicant he is a Chef/cook. I am a finance officer and doing my final accountancy exams. Are most jobs shown online or is it true it's who you know that helps to find work? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated as I am really worried about finding work. We both have over 20 yrs experience but not sure if that will count for anything!!!

My hubby is also a chef and usually just walks into restaurants looking for work. He is intending to do some temp agency chef work while looking for a suitable permanant job. There may be a local paper with jobs advertised in the area you go and also check gumtree.

Hi again, glad your visa came through. Guy across the road from us, here in Perth, is a cook / chef and temps all the time and swears by it because he can move around gaining experience and the rates are good. Plenty of work apparently but they will ask for WA history he says at the initial interview. Possibly do the walk in first, get something for a couple of months and then that would nail that issue.

Where is he working at the moment? In Fife?

STTP, we have an outside catering business (I am a pastry chef) so do wedding catering all over the place, he temps at the Scores hotel (St Andrews) quite a lot during quiet season though. He has actually done quite a bit of temping here including the Crusoe!

We worked in Perth back in 2005 at Halo Restaurant, Barack Jetty for 3 months and also did temping, hubby likes it and it pays well but I prefer to work at one place. We are glad we got the visa too, cook was taken off the skills list yesteray!

Hi Nikki are visa has just been lodged n acknowledged yesterday just hope it will be ok if Cook has now came off the list. We are hoping to move over quite quickly once approved and get started with our new life :-)

We are going on a 489 visa have to live in a region for 2 yrs n work there 12 months so hope to settle Bunbury :-)

When do u hope to make the move? will you be living in Perth?

Tracey you should be ok with your visa, I think its those who haven't been invited yet who will lose out. We have bookings up until May which we have to honour so can't go out until end of May, Im so impatient though, just want to get there:cute:

We are heading to Perth area but hoping to have a good look around before deciding where to settle. Bunbury is lovely too. lucky you moving out quite quickly, you'll get there when its still hot!

Edited by nikkiwd

STTP, we have an outside catering business (I am a pastry chef) so do wedding catering all over the place, he temps at the Scores hotel (St Andrews) quite a lot during quiet season though. He has actually done quite a bit of temping here including the Crusoe!

We worked in Perth back in 2005 at Halo Restaurant, Barack Jetty for 3 months and also did temping, hubby likes it and it pays well but I prefer to work at one place. We are glad we got the visa too, cook was taken off the skills list yesteray!

Funny that was going to be my next question, i.e. how you fancy going freelance, and bingo you are doing it already. There are some really good, quirky types of outside catering businesses over here due to the outdoor lifestyle. Hopefully the 2005 link works out as a way into work, sure it will if worded correctly. Crusoe not my venue at all. After 20 years living in Largo I am a Railway man and only step over the threshold of the Crusoe if pushed or kidnapped and dragged there :biggrin:

Bet you are well relieved over the visa timing. Arriving May I think is a good time because it lets you get in, get established and settled before the first hot summer. It will be not that bad warmth wise either and it is such a short winter, (not that I am here at that time:biggrin:), that you will hardly notice it. Funny I head back to Largae in May next year, 20th, so a big month for us all.