457>>PR Employee Sponsorship Issues...

ryu2000

I was wondering if anyone could offer advise on my situation. Myself and my wife arrived in Perth in July 2011 on a 4 year 457 business visa.

The idea was really to give Australia a try as we had been here on holiday but had never thought seriously about living here.

My company have openely offered to sponsor us for PR, however whilst we have been here the whole visa situation has changed in Perth. My understanding is the Australians are making it more difficult for migrants coming into the country whether that is on a 457 or PR. This also extends to employee offered sponsorship.

One of the areas my company is struggling on is they now have to supply evidence to the Department Of Immigration that they are spending 1% of payroll on training Australians. Our parent company who we distribute from (but are not linked physically) is in the process of being taken over. So I think this also a reason for a delay.

They are adamant they can get this together but it has me looking at my options if the employee sponsorship does not come through. I was wondering what people think:-

- The first option would be to work here for 4 years on the 457 visa then return home.

- The second option would be to switch sponsor. However my 457 visa runs out in July 2015. It is my understanding that if I get a new sponsor my current 457 visa continues. It looks like there is now 2-3 month wait to switch sponsor. If I then switched 457 would I have to wait another 2 years for sponsorship or could they sponsor for PR straight away?

- The third option would be to apply for PR ourselves. We are paying for everything. Looking into this it looks like I could be waiting up to 60 days for a decision via Skill Select and then up to 4 months for my skills assessment. Best case we get a decision by next July we can apply for a visa - this then gives me a year to get my PR whilst in Australia.

Any feedback appreciated!

Guest guest10912
I was wondering if anyone could offer advise on my situation. Myself and my wife arrived in Perth in July 2011 on a 4 year 457 business visa.

The idea was really to give Australia a try as we had been here on holiday but had never thought seriously about living here.

My company have openely offered to sponsor us for PR, however whilst we have been here the whole visa situation has changed in Perth. My understanding is the Australians are making it more difficult for migrants coming into the country whether that is on a 457 or PR. This also extends to employee offered sponsorship.

One of the areas my company is struggling on is they now have to supply evidence to the Department Of Immigration that they are spending 1% of payroll on training Australians. Our parent company who we distribute from (but are not linked physically) is in the process of being taken over. So I think this also a reason for a delay.

They are adamant they can get this together but it has me looking at my options if the employee sponsorship does not come through. I was wondering what people think:-

- The first option would be to work here for 4 years on the 457 visa then return home.

- The second option would be to switch sponsor. However my 457 visa runs out in July 2015. It is my understanding that if I get a new sponsor my current 457 visa continues. It looks like there is now 2-3 month wait to switch sponsor. If I then switched 457 would I have to wait another 2 years for sponsorship or could they sponsor for PR straight away?

- The third option would be to apply for PR ourselves. We are paying for everything. Looking into this it looks like I could be waiting up to 60 days for a decision via Skill Select and then up to 4 months for my skills assessment. Best case we get a decision by next July we can apply for a visa - this then gives me a year to get my PR whilst in Australia.

Any feedback appreciated!

The training requirement was always there and your company must have proven that in the first place, but that is by the by...

If you qualify for skilled migration then why not do that. It is a bit hard to comment though as the crucial information, your occupation, is not mentioned.