What are your plans for Christmas?

Shona7

My third Christmas here.. We'll meet up for breakfast at my Aunts house, then the beach with friends & some champers... Then home for a feed :) Only this year we'll finally have our newborn to share it with. Christmas in Oz is just as exciting as back home... Different but still amazing :) Excited!!!

Guest guest9824

Christmas Day will be here at home, Open pressies in themorning, have brekky, I cook full roast, with the air con on full blast... eat around 3.00pm with family and extended family. Then pool and supper later in the evening! My day off is Boxing Day, Kings Park!

I agree with STTP. It never feels like christmas - it is much more low key. Heck, even the bin men work.

We will open prezzies, go to the beach for an hour, then i will start the roast and the wife will make egg nog. Multiple trips into the pool to cool off while making diner then eat and relax. I always do the traditional christmas dinner. But do seafood for new years. For us its a bit of a quiet affair as there is only the two of us - miss the big family ones.

I love xmas - my hubby struggles with xmas day being sunny - but soon gets into the spirit of things (I do miss the christingle service at our old church on xmas eve) but other than that it's great. Some people do go all out and going round to see whole streets that have got into the sprit is fun (the canals in Madurah too). http://www.ozchristmaslights.com/locations.html?city=8399-perth

Anyway - our xmas starts on xmas eve, hubby makes something - paella last year, we open bubbly, eat outside and have a leisurely evening, the kids (still) put out the magic key for Santa (despite being 18 and 14 ... it's a tradition) and sprinkle glitter on the lawn so the reindeer can see where to land!! The kids are allowed to open one gift from under the tree (usually from a family member in the UK).

Xmas day - I'm up first and start making noise about 8am to wake everyone up lol. We have brunch with buckfizz after pressie opening and spend the afternoon playing board games in the garden and dipping in and out of the pool. Hubby cooks (again) and we eat about 5pm

Boxing day we have friends round for the afternoon - late evening, leftovers (from each of our homes) and a BBQ - more bubbles (I'm sure you sense a theme) and I get out of cooking yet again ... Christmas in Aus is Ace!!

Edit to add .. the kids have said they love just being able to be in our own home on xmas day - we used to have to visit my in laws then off to see my dad who lived 50 miles away ... they said they've appreciated just being able to relax and play with their toys (when they were a little younger).

Edited by ali

Something I have wondered for a while (and a couple of you mentioned it above) is Boxing Day.

Is that a Bank Holiday over there, or do you take the day off? :unsure:

I had assumed that as it's a very British tradition it wouldn't be a public holiday over there - would be very happy to be corrected if it means we get another day off!

Something I have wondered for a while (and a couple of you mentioned it above) is Boxing Day.

Is that a Bank Holiday over there, or do you take the day off? :unsure:

I had assumed that as it's a very British tradition it wouldn't be a public holiday over there - would be very happy to be corrected if it means we get another day off!

Yes it's still a public holiday here, so no work!

Don't really 'get' the hot Christmas really, we went back to England last year, although that seemed odd too!

We are flying to melbourne on Christmas day - was cheap! :biggrin:

First Christmas alone :sad:

First Christmas without mrs p or the kids :sad:

On the plus side, the sun will be shining and I'll probably be cooking roast turkey and all the trimmings for 50-60 people.

Wow, Port - sounds as though you will be busy. Whatever we end up doing, you would be welcome to join us for a glass of festive cheer once you've done all of that cooking. Can't have you being alone at Crimbo - just ain't right!

Regards,

S.

Great to hear everyone's plans for Christmas, which isn't that far away!

If all goes to plan, we hope to be in our new house with all of our stuff from UK (which is still currently bobbing around in the ocean!). We haven't really had time to think about Christmas Day itself yet, but I am sure that it will involve sun, food, alcohol, the beach and the pool - what more do you need!

Raising a glass after the Queen's Speech will be different and may be a challenge at 11pm!

Regards,

S.

Wow, Port - sounds as though you will be busy. Whatever we end up doing, you would be welcome to join us for a glass of festive cheer once you've done all of that cooking. Can't have you being alone at Crimbo - just ain't right!

Regards,

S.

Aww, cheers Sapper, I appreciate that.

Of course I'll miss the kids terribly but I'll be cooking for and sharing time with many people who would otherwise also be alone so it will be a great day.

Yes it's still a public holiday here, so no work!

Yep a Public Holiday for some but many retail workers are in for example because the big, main shops only shut on Christmas Day. Coles, where my wife works, never seems to flaming shut :wink: Apart from when Boxing Day has fallen on a Sunday I think she has worked nearly every BD since we arrived here.