What's with all these flies.....

alant

From a similar thread;

It's all to do with Dung Beetles.

Native Dung Beetles have evolved alongside marsupials which produce hard, round dung. Cows, a relatively recent addition to the Australian landscape, produce large wet pats of dung and the native Beetles are unable to process them. As a result the landscape is littered with drying, crusty pats, perfect for Bush flies to lay their eggs in.

Since 1965 there have been various projects to introduce European Dung Beetles into Australia, ones that are better equipped to process the cow pats. Various schemes have had varying degrees of success and the WA project ceased in 1985, having successfully introduced 9 different species. Of those 9, 7 are common and 5 well established in various parts of the state but the populations need to grow for continued improvement.

The Dung beetle activity is different at different times with different species and some years a variety of factors impact upon their activity. If they don't get active early enough to clear the pats, the fly population explodes and is blown into town.

Awesome eh?

As a result I imagine the recent westerly winds have blown a lot of pollen and flies towards the coast. Ordinarily the Freo doctor blows them inland and clears the coast but it hasn't been particularly windy the past few days so the flies remain.

Edited by portlaunay

Guest guest9824

They don't bother me too much, but I hate them when they go on the food. We don't eat outside very often for that reason and the fact I'd rather be in the air con on a really hot day! Just have to practise the 'Aussie wave' a bit more Alant, then you'll be right!

Hallelujah! Abso-blooming-lutely, don't kill the Huntsmen, they're master fly hunters. Have you ever seen one stalk and kill a fly? You won't believe how fast they can move, it's amazing.

I am sure it would be a fascinating sight to see Port, but alas I would probably be too pre-occupied with hitting the deck if I ever come across a Huntsman to worry about it stalking the fly:biggrin:

The outburst of flies is killing me!!!! What's caused this and how long does it last for??? They don't tell you about them on the brochure when you sign up :err:

You must have been sent the wrong set of brochures at the point of application.......

:wink:

Once it gets hot, and keeps hot, they die off - well most of them anyway :wink:

Guest guest9824
I am sure it would be a fascinating sight to see Port, but alas I would probably be too pre-occupied with hitting the deck if I ever come across a Huntsman to worry about it stalking the fly:biggrin:

I must admit having had them in the house, and they were two of the biggest spiders I have ever seen in my life, the 'fight or flight' scenario took over, and my vacuum got a new resident...sorry Porty, but when faced with a spider nearly as big as my hand, and inside the house, it was a case of kill or be killed!:sad:. Outside is another matter, and the one on my washing line, pops out every day to say 'elllo' and Im quite happy to leave it where it is!

The outburst of flies is killing me!!!! What's caused this and how long does it last for??? They don't tell you about them on the brochure when you sign up :err:

This is nothing. Wait till summer.

I'd say it's pretty well known.

The "Aussie Salute" .. why do you think the hat has corks on it?

Dreading seeing a big spider :eek:...I'm arachnophobic. I couldn't even look at a picture of a small spider although I'm much better now (got over some of it when I travelled round Australia 14 years ago) but I think I will still have a massive panic attack if I see a huntsman in the house or outside!!!

• 2 weeks later...